The E.W. Scripps Company is seeking a User Experience/Interface Developer to join Scripps Digital. You will work in conjunction with interaction designers, visual designers and user researchers to provide users with the best possible experience and be a strong advocate for User Experience within The E.W. Scripps Company. You will create clean, semantic code to support the company's properties and new products.
• Develop interaction design solutions, including creating wireframes, prototypes and comps as needed for user testing and product development
• Create the best possible user experience of our digital products, including web, mobile, and app platforms.
• Work with product managers, content authors, developers and other stakeholders in design explorations and product feature definitions to plan and execute design activities through-out the software development life cycle.
• Ability to quickly assimilate complex, and sometimes ambiguous, ideas and propose elegant design solutions
• Experience building rigorous wireframes and comps in an iterative, agile environment
• Research user needs using contextual inquiry, usability testing, focus groups, web analytics and competitor evaluations.
• Write standards-compliant HTML and CSS for new and existing products.
• Actively keep up with web trends and new technologies including CSS3, HTML5 and the mobile web and smartphone apps.
Education & Experience:
• Bachelor's degree preferably in design related field, or equivalent combination of education and years of experience.
• 1-3 years of experience as a developer or designer including experience developing responsive sites
Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent communication skills.
• Proven track record in cross-group collaboration.
• Proven success in a fast-paced start-up environment, with a hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves approach. Strong track record of executing with sometimes limited resources.
• Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
• Experience developing with large-scale websites, focus on code and load performance.
• Familiar with concepts such as OOCSS and familiar with BEM naming conventions would be a plus
• Experience in Design, as a user experience designer, interaction designer, or equivalent field.
• An online portfolio with samples of work demonstrating user-centered design solutions.
• Experience building rigorous wireframes and comps in an iterative, agile environment.
• Proficiency with Adobe CS products.
• Understanding and experience with new web technologies such as HTML5 and CSS3 that include developing responsive websites.
• Proficiency with web standards and accessibility compliance.
• Familiarity with sass and require js would a plus
• Experience with cross browser debugging
The E.W. Scripps Company (www.scripps.com) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, print and digital media brands. It owns 19 local television stations and daily newspapers in 13 markets across the United States and an expanding collection of local and national digital journalism and information businesses. Scripps also produces television programming, runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and serves as the long-time steward of one of the nation's largest, most successful and longest-running educational programs, Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1879, Scripps is focused on the stories of tomorrow