Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] improvement request :: add jobs mailing list
10 Jun 2010 - 7:24pm
3 years ago
On Jun 10, 2010, at 12:48 AM, David Malouf wrote:
> I do think though, that there is a bigger design problem here and email is NOT the ideal solution for it. I don't think we have the resources for the ideal, but I think email as a behavior model is not the right model for communities.
You may be right that email is not ideal for "communities," but I'm not sure that the organization's goal of creating a community is what most people use this (or any) discussion list/forum for most of the time. I have tried to follow the discussion on the site and via RSS, and neither of these are anywhere near acceptable. Email may not be the perfect tool either, but it is the best solution available (for me).
The main reasons?
1. The web is not push -- I will never seek it out.
2. RSS is too passive -- I use it to subscribe to feeds of content that are under someone else's control, not to follow and participate in discussion.
3. Email is a great for reading AND writing.
4. Email is great for scanning messages to find something that might be of interest, managing threaded conversations, saving messages I'm interested in, and getting rid of the stuff I'm not interested in.
5. Email is a common denominator for discussion lists. I subscribe to many of them, and as much as I like IxDA, it's not so special that I want to deal with it in a different way.
So, I understand that email delivery isn't going away, but I wouldn't assume that it needs to be supported just because people (like me) don't realize that there are better options or are stubborn. For me, email is the best option for subscribing to a discussion list.