Looking for Guidance

22 Mar 2010 - 8:28pm
6 years ago
3 replies
1589 reads


I am glad that I have found this portal. I am a Industrial Designer and I was laid off in 08.

I have not even had one interview for a job in my field. I was going to take advantage of

some of the training funds available. I am considering a certification offered at NCSU for

web developer. It seems to be a lot to cover in 3 months. Is this something that will put

me in demand with my design background? I have also considered working on a Phd.

I aspects of user centered design and interface design. Input would be a great help.




23 Mar 2010 - 11:38am

G -I know several Industrial Designers  who have made the transition successfuly to this field.  I'd recommend getting a Master's degree in Interaction Design/User Interface Design/Human Factors.  IMO a PhD is over-kill for working in this field, unless you want to go into research/academia.  Regarding web design, do you want to do the interaction design or the HTML?  This is one of the first questions you want to ask yourself--the two areas are very different.  Perhaps some others could advise on shorter certification courses than a full Master's.  Good luck in the transition!


23 Mar 2010 - 2:07pm

Drew thanks for your comments.

I have always been interested in usability issues so human factors is right up my alley.

I already have a MFA and I think a MS would compliment my skill set.

The interaction thing would be great! I am not sure how one would find this major.

Is it listed under computer science master degrees?  Is this the area that I should look at?

Thanks for your help.


25 Mar 2010 - 6:52pm

I have found a great resource for my search into programs that will

help me specialize in interaction. There are so many different names

for programs.



Syndicate content Get the feed