Human Factors and Interaction Design

20 Mar 2006 - 7:11pm
8 years ago
9 replies
711 reads
Ash Donaldson
2005

On 21/3/06 11:21 AM, "gmb at asi-az.com" <gmb at asi-az.com> wrote:

> If I get a few moments in the next day or so, I will attempt to explain the
> relevance of innate versus intuition, common sense vs common knowledge in
> the design process, from a human factors/ergonomics perspective.

Gary,

Glad to see another Human Factors professional on the list. :D
How many others of you on here have Human Factors / Ergonomics backgrounds?

Cheers,

Ash

Comments

21 Mar 2006 - 8:56am
ErikaOrrick
1969

Me, me!

---
Erika Orrick
erika at orrickweb.com

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com on behalf of Ash Donaldson
Sent: Mon 3/20/2006 7:45 PM
To: gmb at asi-az.com; discuss at lists.interactiondesigners.com
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Human Factors and Interaction Design

[Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted material.]

On 21/3/06 11:21 AM, "gmb at asi-az.com" <gmb at asi-az.com> wrote:

> If I get a few moments in the next day or so, I will attempt to explain the
> relevance of innate versus intuition, common sense vs common knowledge in
> the design process, from a human factors/ergonomics perspective.

Gary,

Glad to see another Human Factors professional on the list. :D
How many others of you on here have Human Factors / Ergonomics backgrounds?

Cheers,

Ash

________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
(Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

21 Mar 2006 - 7:33pm
nhoh
2004

I'd fall into the HF and Ergo group as well.

Cheers,

Nick

----- Original Message ----
From: Erika Orrick <erika at orrickweb.com>
To: Ash Donaldson <ash.donaldson at different.com.au>; gmb at asi-az.com; discuss at lists.interactiondesigners.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 6:56:08 AM
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Human Factors and Interaction Design

[Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted material.]

Me, me!

---
Erika Orrick
erika at orrickweb.com

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com on behalf of Ash Donaldson
Sent: Mon 3/20/2006 7:45 PM
To: gmb at asi-az.com; discuss at lists.interactiondesigners.com
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Human Factors and Interaction Design

[Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted material.]

On 21/3/06 11:21 AM, "gmb at asi-az.com" <gmb at asi-az.com> wrote:

> If I get a few moments in the next day or so, I will attempt to explain the
> relevance of innate versus intuition, common sense vs common knowledge in
> the design process, from a human factors/ergonomics perspective.

Gary,

Glad to see another Human Factors professional on the list. :D
How many others of you on here have Human Factors / Ergonomics backgrounds?

Cheers,

Ash

________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
(Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
(Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

21 Mar 2006 - 8:22pm
community at la...
2006

Me also- good to see you on the list Ash.

Warm regards,

Brian Hill
Laughing Mind | Humane Systems, Spaces + Interfaces
m: 0414 430 450
i: http://www.laughingmind.com

> Gary,
>
> Glad to see another Human Factors professional on the list. :D
> How many others of you on here have Human Factors / Ergonomics
> backgrounds?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ash

22 Mar 2006 - 9:36am
Michele Marut
2005

I'm an HF/ergo person as well.

22 Mar 2006 - 12:29pm
Doug Anderson
2004

Hi Ash,

Dunno that I'd claim to be an "HF/E Professional" though I'd claim I've acquired some background in HF.

I've worked 27 of the past 29 years in what was and has grown out of the data processing/computer industry. (Wow, I forget that I'm *so* ancient, keypunched Fortran in 1969... in cuneiform... ;>)

I've been exploring actively HF & usability of digital "stuff" over the past 8 years or so, and I'm just now finishing a master's program in HF.

Does that count?

Peace,
Doug Anderson
Mayo Clinic
Rochester, MN

Opinions expressed are necessarily mine, not necessarily those of the Mayo Foundation.

Original message:
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:11:01 +1100
From: Ash Donaldson <ash.donaldson at different.com.au>
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Human Factors and Interaction Design
To: <gmb at asi-az.com>, <discuss at lists.interactiondesigners.com>

<snip>

Gary,

Glad to see another Human Factors professional on the list. :D
How many others of you on here have Human Factors / Ergonomics backgrounds?

Cheers,

Ash

22 Mar 2006 - 5:45pm
Ash Donaldson
2005

Doug,

Of course it counts! I've been exploring HCI, HF and the related social
sciences for 10 years myself. Here in Australia, only recently was there a
Masters of Human Factors made available (so I was the first to jump on THAT
bandwagon after years of 'bitsa' studies - so I'm also just finishing it).

Unfortunately, after this semester, they are taking no more students and
winding up the MHF program. A sad day for our industry - especially since
'interaction design', 'user experience' and 'user-centred design' is growing
so rapidly here. Contract and job postings have gone from one / month to a
few / day and I get offers by headhunters weekly. The last hire our company
had to do was from the US (not a cheap option, but we'd run out of senior
professionals here).

Anyway, you make up number 7 on the list of HF professionals that have
responded. I also had a shout from an Anthropologist (a very important, yet
rarely discussed profession).

Cheers,

Ash

On 23/3/06 5:29 AM, "Anderson, Douglas W." <Anderson.Douglas at mayo.edu>
wrote:

> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted material.]
>
> Hi Ash,
>
> Dunno that I'd claim to be an "HF/E Professional" though I'd claim I've
> acquired some background in HF.
>
> I've worked 27 of the past 29 years in what was and has grown out of the data
> processing/computer industry. (Wow, I forget that I'm *so* ancient, keypunched
> Fortran in 1969... in cuneiform... ;>)
>
> I've been exploring actively HF & usability of digital "stuff" over the past 8
> years or so, and I'm just now finishing a master's program in HF.
>
> Does that count?
>
> Peace,
> Doug Anderson
> Mayo Clinic
> Rochester, MN
>
> Opinions expressed are necessarily mine, not necessarily those of the Mayo
> Foundation.
>
> Original message:
> Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:11:01 +1100
> From: Ash Donaldson <ash.donaldson at different.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Human Factors and Interaction Design
> To: <gmb at asi-az.com>, <discuss at lists.interactiondesigners.com>
>
> <snip>
>
> Gary,
>
> Glad to see another Human Factors professional on the list. :D
> How many others of you on here have Human Factors / Ergonomics backgrounds?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ash
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

22 Mar 2006 - 6:30pm
Barbara Ballard
2005

>>
>> Glad to see another Human Factors professional on the list. :D
>> How many others of you on here have Human Factors / Ergonomics
>> backgrounds?

HF training via IE; balanced that out with product design training
via industrial design. Added HCI courses, technology courses, and
ethnography workshops.

---
Barbara Ballard 1-785-838-3003
barbara at littlespringsdesign.com

23 Mar 2006 - 6:32am
Jennifer Trich ...
2005

Me too.....

Jennifer Trich Kremer
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com] On Behalf Of Erika
Orrick
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:56 AM
To: Ash Donaldson; gmb at asi-az.com; discuss at lists.interactiondesigners.com
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Human Factors and Interaction Design

[Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted material.]

Me, me!

---
Erika Orrick
erika at orrickweb.com

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com on behalf of Ash
Donaldson
Sent: Mon 3/20/2006 7:45 PM
To: gmb at asi-az.com; discuss at lists.interactiondesigners.com
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Human Factors and Interaction Design

[Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted material.]

On 21/3/06 11:21 AM, "gmb at asi-az.com" <gmb at asi-az.com> wrote:

> If I get a few moments in the next day or so, I will attempt to explain
the
> relevance of innate versus intuition, common sense vs common knowledge in
> the design process, from a human factors/ergonomics perspective.

Gary,

Glad to see another Human Factors professional on the list. :D
How many others of you on here have Human Factors / Ergonomics backgrounds?

Cheers,

Ash

________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
(Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
(Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

1 Apr 2006 - 10:17pm
yannis vasmatzidis
2006

Well,

I am another usability professional with an
HF/Ergonomics background. It would be nice to conduct
a survey to see what background folks have in the
field of interaction design. I suspect that such
surveys may already have been done. Does anybody know?

Thanks
Yannis

--- "Anderson, Douglas W." <Anderson.Douglas at mayo.edu>
wrote:

> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only
> relevant quoted material.]
>
> Hi Ash,
>
> Dunno that I'd claim to be an "HF/E Professional"
> though I'd claim I've acquired some background in
> HF.
>
> I've worked 27 of the past 29 years in what was and
> has grown out of the data processing/computer
> industry. (Wow, I forget that I'm *so* ancient,
> keypunched Fortran in 1969... in cuneiform... ;>)
>
> I've been exploring actively HF & usability of
> digital "stuff" over the past 8 years or so, and I'm
> just now finishing a master's program in HF.
>
> Does that count?
>
> Peace,
> Doug Anderson
> Mayo Clinic
> Rochester, MN
>
> Opinions expressed are necessarily mine, not
> necessarily those of the Mayo Foundation.
>
> Original message:
> Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:11:01 +1100
> From: Ash Donaldson <ash.donaldson at different.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Human Factors and
> Interaction Design
> To: <gmb at asi-az.com>,
> <discuss at lists.interactiondesigners.com>
>
> <snip>
>
> Gary,
>
> Glad to see another Human Factors professional on
> the list. :D
> How many others of you on here have Human Factors /
> Ergonomics backgrounds?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ash
>
________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association
> (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............
> http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help ..................
> http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ...
> http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List .........
> http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ...........
> http://resources.ixda.org
>

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

Syndicate content Get the feed