NYC IxDA Meeting: Panel of IxD Leaders on Nov. 29 (6:30p) - Parsons Design Lab

9 Nov 2005 - 9:58pm
8 years ago
1 reply
642 reads
Ashley LaFrenais
2005

Join Us for the IxDA NYC Monthly Gathering

Did you ever wonder how Interaction Design is practiced at
organizations other than your own? Now is your chance to find out.
The IxDA has assembled a panel of IxD leaders in NYC for an event
that explores just this question. With panelists from the media,
financial services, design firms and agencies, this exciting event
will present you with a snapshot of interaction design in NYC today.
We'll talk with our panelists about how projects are structured, how
IxD collaborates with other disciplines, how their firms recruit for
Interaction Design and more.

Our panelists will include:

Robert Fabricant of Frog Design
Lawrence Lipkin of Ameritrade
Peter Rivera of AOL
Kip Voytek of R/GA
Jackson Young of MTV

Joshua Seiden of 36 Partners will be moderating the discussion.

Event Details

Date: Thursday, November 29

Time: 6:30 – 8:00 pm

Location: Parsons School of Design--Parsons Design Lab
55 W. 13th St., 9th Floor (Between 5th & 6th Aves. Closest subway is
the F/V @ 14th St. and 6th Ave.)

Cost: Free (but if you’d like to donate to IxDA to help grow the
organization, you may do so at http://www.ixda.org.)

Please RSVP as space is limited. If you wish to attend, please email
us at nyc (at) ixda (dot) org.

We look forward to seeing you there!

More About Robert Fabricant:
Robert Fabricant is the Creative Director of FrogDesign (http://
www.frogdesign.com) in NY where he leads a multidisciplinary design
team of brand, graphic, interface and industrial designers for
clients such as AOL, MTV, GE, Nissan, Coca-Cola and Nextel. He has
worked on the design of interfaces for numerous products, including
handheld devices, in-car information systems, medical devices,
physical environments and many flavors of desktop software.

Prior to Frog, Robert led a Research & Development team at Organic
where he worked on wireless applications for key clients such as
Lucent Technologies, Federated and the Museum of the Moving Image.
Other work experience includes @radicalmedia, Microsoft and Edwin
Schlossberg Inc. He has worked in interface design for interactive
media since 1994, including exhibition and kiosk design, CD-ROM, Web,
Broadband and Wireless applications. His interactive work has been
included in ID magazine's Interactive Design Annual and presented at
SIGGRAPH.

More About Lawrence Lipkin:
Lawrence Lipkin is the Director of User Experience for Ameritrade. He
leads a very talented team of Interaction Designers, User Interface
Designers, and Information Architects to design Ameritrade's web
sites. Prior to Ameritrade he was a Creative Director at Organic
Inc.'s New York office. He worked on marketing and application-
oriented sites for clients like: Carter's, HarrisDirect, Hoover's,
RCI, US Airways, Fannie Mae, MessageLabs, Joseph Abboud, Smith &
Nephew, Reebok, Tommy Hilfiger, GGHC, eSylvan, and Dupont/Invista.
Prior to working at Organic, he worked Sony's entertainment site "The
Station" and at the web development firm Online Magic.

He received a graduate degree from NYU's Interactive
Telecommunications Program where his thesis investigated personal
information management. He has an M.F.A in studio art from Hunter
College and a B.A. from Hampshire College.
More about Peter Rivera:
A creative veteran with more than 15 years of design experience (10
of those focusing exclusively online), he currently serves as a vice
president and creative director for AOL (http://www.aol.com),
overseeing the design of all content, as well as standards and
guidelines for much of the service. Rivera manages a team of 60
creative directors, UI specialists and interaction designers, who
support the vast needs of the AOL network and has helped drive a new
and unified experience as AOL adopts a strategy of expanding outside
the subscription service traditionally associated with the brand.

Prior to joining AOL in 2003, Rivera spent six years at Modem Media,
and served as vice president and executive creative director of the
company’s San Francisco office. There he supervised all creative
output of this office, including online advertising, website design,
new business development, analytics, and client services. Along the
way, he did work for blue-chip companies such as Sprint PCS,
WeightWatchers, General Electric, AT&T, Intel, UBS, and Citibank.

Rivera is an advocate for the value of strategic design, and is a key
driver in defining the creative vision for AOL’s next generation of
user experiences. His philosophy is that aesthetics have a strong
place in making new markets and that AOL is just now asserting that
place among companies that invest in design as a strong
differentiator, especially as it relates to the unique media and
programming offerings of AOL. Rivera has received a number of
industry awards. Highlights include a Cannes Gold Cyberlion, a Gold
ad:tech Award, and a Gold DMA Echo Award.

More About Kip Voytek:
Kip Voytek is responsible for leading and managing R/GA's (http://
www.rga.com) talented and innovative Interaction Design (ID)
department. In May 2005, Voytek returned to R/GA from Digitas, where
he oversaw the development of its Interaction Design group and worked
on strategic online initiatives for clients such as AOL, Microsoft
and Safeway.

Voytek first joined R/GA in 1999, where he was an Executive Producer
on Nike and excelled on pioneer ID projects that included the
original global standards for ibm.com and breakthrough e-commerce
applications for BedBathandBeyond.com, as well as the historic
ellisislandrecords.org. Over his career, he has won dozens of awards
from some of the most prestigious competitions, including the One
Show Interactive and Cyberlions. Voytek began his career as a game
designer and writer at Engineering Animation, Inc. (EAI) and Byron
Preiss Multimedia, developing games, characters and scripts for
licensed and original properties.Prior to his new media career in
1995, Voytek was a Congressional staffer and speechwriter, economic
policy researcher and political strategy consultant. He received a BA
in History from Haverford College.

More About Jackson Young:
Jackson has over fourteen years of experience in information
architecture, user interface and interactive design with a wide
variety of digital mediums. He currently leads the information
architecture practice at MTV Networks (http://www.mtv.com) developing
user experiences for key online initiatives.Prior to joining MTV,
Jackson served as the National Head of Information Architecture for
Rare Medium, a NYC interactive agency. He developed information
architecture methodology, directed large IA engagements for major
clients such as Goldman Sachs, Standard and Poor's and Cablevision.
He garnered additional Web development experience while serving as
the Lead Information Architect for Dennis Interactive, and Senior Web
Designer at Toysrus.com. In addition to the Web medium, Jackson
developed numerous museum interactive exhibits, video games,
children's educational software and toys while working for Edwin
Schlossberg Inc., Viacom New Media, and Vtech Educational Toys.
Jackson has a BFA degree in Communications Design from Parson School
of Design.

More about Josh Seiden:
Josh is the founder and president of 36 Partners (http://www.
36partners.com), and a respected consultant, designer, teacher and
speaker. Prior to establishing 36 Partners, Josh served on the
leadership team at Cooper Interaction Design—one of the premier
professional service firms of the internet era, and the leader of the
interaction design movement. At Cooper, Josh worked on projects for
clients such as IBM, 3M, Sun Healthcare Systems (now called Shared
Healthcare Systems), and managed Cooper’s SAP account, which at the
time was Cooper’s largest account. While at Cooper, he designed both
hardware and software products, including products for the space
industry, enterprise resource planning products, marketing automation
systems, meeting room tools, data warehousing tools, and healthcare
systems. Before Cooper, Josh developed consumer-focused computer
accessories at Kensington, where his passion for user experience work
began. At Kensington, Josh worked on ergonomic mice and trackballs
and managed the development of Kensington’s MouseWorks software,
which won numerous industry awards under his direction.

About IxDA
The Interaction Design Association (IxDA) is a non-profit
professional organization whose focus is promoting both the field of
interaction design and the interests of an international community of
practitioners, managers, educators, and students of interaction
design. Our organization’s goals are to
§ Communicate the unique perspective that interaction design
brings to both industry and the broader design community
§ Promote awareness of the discipline, craft, and value of
interaction design among business leaders, academia, consumers, and
our colleagues
§ Advance the discipline of interaction design by encouraging
the adoption of innovative methods
§ Encourage and recommend high standards of practice among
interaction design professionals
§ Help establish standards for academic programs in interaction
design
§ Develop an active, close-knit community of interaction design
professionals worldwide

For more information about IxDA, or if you are interested in getting
involved, contact us at nyc (at) ixda (dot) org or visit our web site
at http://www.ixda.org.

Comments

10 Nov 2005 - 9:02am
Dave Malouf
2005

CORRECTION

This event is on TUESDAY, Nov. 29th (not Thursday).
We still strongly recommend RSVPing
There are 50 spaces open and we have close to 10 responses in 1 day.
RSVPs should be sent to nyc (at) ixda (dot) com

Sorry about the confusion.

-- dave

On 11/9/05 9:58 PM, "Ashley LaFrenais" <ashley_lafrenais at panergi.com> wrote:

> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted material.]
>
> Join Us for the IxDA NYC Monthly Gathering
>
> Did you ever wonder how Interaction Design is practiced at
> organizations other than your own? Now is your chance to find out.
> The IxDA has assembled a panel of IxD leaders in NYC for an event
> that explores just this question. With panelists from the media,
> financial services, design firms and agencies, this exciting event
> will present you with a snapshot of interaction design in NYC today.
> We'll talk with our panelists about how projects are structured, how
> IxD collaborates with other disciplines, how their firms recruit for
> Interaction Design and more.
>
> Our panelists will include:
>
> Robert Fabricant of Frog Design
> Lawrence Lipkin of Ameritrade
> Peter Rivera of AOL
> Kip Voytek of R/GA
> Jackson Young of MTV
>
> Joshua Seiden of 36 Partners will be moderating the discussion.
>
> Event Details
>
> Date: Thursday, November 29
>
> Time: 6:30 ­ 8:00 pm
>
> Location: Parsons School of Design--Parsons Design Lab
> 55 W. 13th St., 9th Floor (Between 5th & 6th Aves. Closest subway is
> the F/V @ 14th St. and 6th Ave.)
>
> Cost: Free (but if you¹d like to donate to IxDA to help grow the
> organization, you may do so at http://www.ixda.org.)
>
> Please RSVP as space is limited. If you wish to attend, please email
> us at nyc (at) ixda (dot) org.
>
> We look forward to seeing you there!
>
> More About Robert Fabricant:
> Robert Fabricant is the Creative Director of FrogDesign (http://
> www.frogdesign.com) in NY where he leads a multidisciplinary design
> team of brand, graphic, interface and industrial designers for
> clients such as AOL, MTV, GE, Nissan, Coca-Cola and Nextel. He has
> worked on the design of interfaces for numerous products, including
> handheld devices, in-car information systems, medical devices,
> physical environments and many flavors of desktop software.
>
> Prior to Frog, Robert led a Research & Development team at Organic
> where he worked on wireless applications for key clients such as
> Lucent Technologies, Federated and the Museum of the Moving Image.
> Other work experience includes @radicalmedia, Microsoft and Edwin
> Schlossberg Inc. He has worked in interface design for interactive
> media since 1994, including exhibition and kiosk design, CD-ROM, Web,
> Broadband and Wireless applications. His interactive work has been
> included in ID magazine's Interactive Design Annual and presented at
> SIGGRAPH.
>
> More About Lawrence Lipkin:
> Lawrence Lipkin is the Director of User Experience for Ameritrade. He
> leads a very talented team of Interaction Designers, User Interface
> Designers, and Information Architects to design Ameritrade's web
> sites. Prior to Ameritrade he was a Creative Director at Organic
> Inc.'s New York office. He worked on marketing and application-
> oriented sites for clients like: Carter's, HarrisDirect, Hoover's,
> RCI, US Airways, Fannie Mae, MessageLabs, Joseph Abboud, Smith &
> Nephew, Reebok, Tommy Hilfiger, GGHC, eSylvan, and Dupont/Invista.
> Prior to working at Organic, he worked Sony's entertainment site "The
> Station" and at the web development firm Online Magic.
>
> He received a graduate degree from NYU's Interactive
> Telecommunications Program where his thesis investigated personal
> information management. He has an M.F.A in studio art from Hunter
> College and a B.A. from Hampshire College.
> More about Peter Rivera:
> A creative veteran with more than 15 years of design experience (10
> of those focusing exclusively online), he currently serves as a vice
> president and creative director for AOL (http://www.aol.com),
> overseeing the design of all content, as well as standards and
> guidelines for much of the service. Rivera manages a team of 60
> creative directors, UI specialists and interaction designers, who
> support the vast needs of the AOL network and has helped drive a new
> and unified experience as AOL adopts a strategy of expanding outside
> the subscription service traditionally associated with the brand.
>
> Prior to joining AOL in 2003, Rivera spent six years at Modem Media,
> and served as vice president and executive creative director of the
> company¹s San Francisco office. There he supervised all creative
> output of this office, including online advertising, website design,
> new business development, analytics, and client services. Along the
> way, he did work for blue-chip companies such as Sprint PCS,
> WeightWatchers, General Electric, AT&T, Intel, UBS, and Citibank.
>
> Rivera is an advocate for the value of strategic design, and is a key
> driver in defining the creative vision for AOL¹s next generation of
> user experiences. His philosophy is that aesthetics have a strong
> place in making new markets and that AOL is just now asserting that
> place among companies that invest in design as a strong
> differentiator, especially as it relates to the unique media and
> programming offerings of AOL. Rivera has received a number of
> industry awards. Highlights include a Cannes Gold Cyberlion, a Gold
> ad:tech Award, and a Gold DMA Echo Award.
>
> More About Kip Voytek:
> Kip Voytek is responsible for leading and managing R/GA's (http://
> www.rga.com) talented and innovative Interaction Design (ID)
> department. In May 2005, Voytek returned to R/GA from Digitas, where
> he oversaw the development of its Interaction Design group and worked
> on strategic online initiatives for clients such as AOL, Microsoft
> and Safeway.
>
> Voytek first joined R/GA in 1999, where he was an Executive Producer
> on Nike and excelled on pioneer ID projects that included the
> original global standards for ibm.com and breakthrough e-commerce
> applications for BedBathandBeyond.com, as well as the historic
> ellisislandrecords.org. Over his career, he has won dozens of awards
> from some of the most prestigious competitions, including the One
> Show Interactive and Cyberlions. Voytek began his career as a game
> designer and writer at Engineering Animation, Inc. (EAI) and Byron
> Preiss Multimedia, developing games, characters and scripts for
> licensed and original properties.Prior to his new media career in
> 1995, Voytek was a Congressional staffer and speechwriter, economic
> policy researcher and political strategy consultant. He received a BA
> in History from Haverford College.
>
> More About Jackson Young:
> Jackson has over fourteen years of experience in information
> architecture, user interface and interactive design with a wide
> variety of digital mediums. He currently leads the information
> architecture practice at MTV Networks (http://www.mtv.com) developing
> user experiences for key online initiatives.Prior to joining MTV,
> Jackson served as the National Head of Information Architecture for
> Rare Medium, a NYC interactive agency. He developed information
> architecture methodology, directed large IA engagements for major
> clients such as Goldman Sachs, Standard and Poor's and Cablevision.
> He garnered additional Web development experience while serving as
> the Lead Information Architect for Dennis Interactive, and Senior Web
> Designer at Toysrus.com. In addition to the Web medium, Jackson
> developed numerous museum interactive exhibits, video games,
> children's educational software and toys while working for Edwin
> Schlossberg Inc., Viacom New Media, and Vtech Educational Toys.
> Jackson has a BFA degree in Communications Design from Parson School
> of Design.
>
> More about Josh Seiden:
> Josh is the founder and president of 36 Partners (http://www.
> 36partners.com), and a respected consultant, designer, teacher and
> speaker. Prior to establishing 36 Partners, Josh served on the
> leadership team at Cooper Interaction Design‹one of the premier
> professional service firms of the internet era, and the leader of the
> interaction design movement. At Cooper, Josh worked on projects for
> clients such as IBM, 3M, Sun Healthcare Systems (now called Shared
> Healthcare Systems), and managed Cooper¹s SAP account, which at the
> time was Cooper¹s largest account. While at Cooper, he designed both
> hardware and software products, including products for the space
> industry, enterprise resource planning products, marketing automation
> systems, meeting room tools, data warehousing tools, and healthcare
> systems. Before Cooper, Josh developed consumer-focused computer
> accessories at Kensington, where his passion for user experience work
> began. At Kensington, Josh worked on ergonomic mice and trackballs
> and managed the development of Kensington¹s MouseWorks software,
> which won numerous industry awards under his direction.
>
> About IxDA
> The Interaction Design Association (IxDA) is a non-profit
> professional organization whose focus is promoting both the field of
> interaction design and the interests of an international community of
> practitioners, managers, educators, and students of interaction
> design. Our organization¹s goals are to
> § Communicate the unique perspective that interaction design
> brings to both industry and the broader design community
> § Promote awareness of the discipline, craft, and value of
> interaction design among business leaders, academia, consumers, and
> our colleagues
> § Advance the discipline of interaction design by encouraging
> the adoption of innovative methods
> § Encourage and recommend high standards of practice among
> interaction design professionals
> § Help establish standards for academic programs in interaction
> design
> § Develop an active, close-knit community of interaction design
> professionals worldwide
>
> For more information about IxDA, or if you are interested in getting
> involved, contact us at nyc (at) ixda (dot) org or visit our web site
> at http://www.ixda.org.
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

-- dave

David Heller
http://synapticburn.com/
http://ixdg.org/
Dave (at) ixdg (dot) org
Dave (at) synapticburn (dot) com
AIM: bolinhanyc || Y!: dave_ux || MSN: hippiefunk at hotmail.com

Syndicate content Get the feed