[Job] InContext Design is hiring User Researchers in Boston and Chicago
6 Feb 2010 - 9:46am
User Researcher/Work Practice Designer – Boston MA and Chicago IL
Since 1992 InContext has used its Contextual Design methodology to design
innovative solutions. InContext delivers strategic market characterizations,
personas, new product concepts and design for consumer and business
software, devices and consumer products. We take a holistic view—ensuring
our solutions work for the users, the technology, and our clients’ business
The Contextual Design methodology developed by InContext is a
customer-centered design process taught in universities and used in
companies worldwide. The techniques rely on extensive field data as the
foundation for understanding users’ needs, tasks, and processes in order to
design solutions that work.
InContext is looking for Work Practice Designers (User Researchers) who have
a strong interest in design to be based in Concord, MA and Chicago, IL. They
will work in highly collaborative cross-functional teams on a wide variety
of client projects representing different user activities and technology
platforms. Candidates must be passionate about creating products, systems,
and websites that really meet the needs of users.
Good design begins with understanding how people work on a daily basis,
which is why our Work Practice Designers are trained in Contextual Design.
Work Practice Designers will participate fully in all phases of the
Contextual Design process, including field interviews with end users, data
interpretation, work modeling and consolidation, visioning, storyboarding,
system design, paper prototyping and final design documentation.
All candidates must have:
· Bachelor’s or master’s degree in the following or related fields: the
social sciences and humanities, especially anthropology or psychology, or
basic sciences like biology
· 1-3 years of relevant experience in one or more of the following
areas: human-computer interaction, business analysis, information systems,
user research or other related fields, product management.
*· **Willingness to travel on a regular basis, occasionally on short
· Ability to present and communicate design ideas to clients
· Ability to represent complex information simply in graphical format
· Special consideration will be given to candidates who speak more than
one language: Japanese, Chinese, German, Spanish.
· Quick and task focused: Must be able to work quickly under short
deadlines, handle multiple tasks.
· Collaborative: Must be able to work in a highly collaborative team
environment with clients.
· Clear thinking: Ability to quickly grasp diverse, sometimes
complicated domains without previously having worked with them.
· Professional presentation: Should present well in formal and informal
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact successfully
and professionally with end users and clients.
Job locations include Boston and Chicago. While relocation is not currently
available, we offer an excellent benefits package, competitive salary and an
opportunity to learn from industry leaders.