Online tools (Possibly free ware) that we can use to create a knowledge base of glossary

25 Dec 2009 - 4:40pm
4 years ago
8 replies
751 reads
Santosh
2006

Hi All

Merry Christmas ! I am currently working on a project that involves compiling glossary and acronyms used extensively across our company. I am looking for inputs from similar projects that you may be doing or have done in the past and that enables us to use a search engine that can help anyone locate a particular acronym or glossary term.

The challenge is to collaborate with various teams that can be part of the database and contribute to as a team.

Any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Santosh

Comments

26 Dec 2009 - 12:19am
Sharon Greenfield5
2008

We had this issue once at Intel, and kind of solved it by creating an
acronym wiki with an easily memory name on the intranet.
It wasn't high tech, and not always perfect, but fairly effective
given the ROI.

On Dec 25, 2009, at 1:40 PM, Santosh wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Merry Christmas ! I am currently working on a project that involves
> compiling glossary and acronyms used extensively across our company.
> I am looking for inputs from similar projects that you may be doing
> or have done in the past and that enables us to use a search engine
> that can help anyone locate a particular acronym or glossary term.
>
> The challenge is to collaborate with various teams that can be part
> of the database and contribute to as a team.
>
> Any information will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Santosh
>
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help

26 Dec 2009 - 1:15am
Christopher Hall
2009

I would recommend setting up a a simple wiki. Sounds like a perfect
fit for what you are looking to do. You can download and find more
information for the open source MediaWiki (what Wikipedia uses) from
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

It is rather easy to setup and will provide users with a familiar
interface since most people are comfortable with using Wikipedia
already.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=48080

26 Dec 2009 - 3:59am
Harry Brignull
2004

I'd personally steer clear of mediawiki, unless you have a group of people
who are familiar with writing/editing articles using wiki markup. The
learning curve is quite steep, and once the novelty wears off you might find
you're the only one who's holding the fort.

26 Dec 2009 - 5:02am
James Page
2008

In regards to Wikki's the easiest one for people to use is probably
http://moinmo.in/

<http://moinmo.in/>With MoinMoin there is no special markup to learn. It is
quite easy to set up. It is very easy to setup on a individual machine, and
then later move it to a server.

And it is easy to import the content of MediaWiki into it.

A good example of how it can look can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam

<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam>Very important with setting up a
Wiki is to force some structure at start, otherwise it soon becomes a mess.

James

2009/12/26 Harry <harrybr at gmail.com>

> I'd personally steer clear of mediawiki, unless you have a group of people
> who are familiar with writing/editing articles using wiki markup. The
> learning curve is quite steep, and once the novelty wears off you might
> find
> you're the only one who's holding the fort.
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

26 Dec 2009 - 3:32pm
abbyworld
2009

You might want to try PBWorks; I've had success making wikis there,
and it's free.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=48080

28 Dec 2009 - 5:01am
Folletto
2009

Unfortunately, I think that wiki softwares need to make another jump in user friendliness... since I find often that they might be the right tool, but there isn't a really usable and simple one. :/

28 Dec 2009 - 11:19pm
AlokJain
2006

Santosh,

I think wiki is a decent option but it creates an isolated resource
that the user has to refer separately. If this matches with user
goals, then it's great.

But from what you described, I think it'll be beneficial to
integrate this resource into the user context where the need arises.
You can look at something similar to NYtimes where double clicking a
word on the site brings up a shortcut into the dictionary. In your
case you can tie it to glossary and acronyms resource.

Further you can also provide people and ability to double-click a
word and add it to glossary and acronyms resource from there itself.

Given this you will also need the glossary and acronyms to be stored
in a db as opposed to just a wiki kind of environment. I think a
simple publishing tool should suffice.

Would be interested to hear what you guys choose.

Cheers
Alok Jain (AJ)
http://insightify.com

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=48080

29 Dec 2009 - 1:13am
Charles Boyung
2009

You answered your own question when you stated that you wanted
collaborative content creation across your teams. That is exactly
what wikis are for, as people have already stated. As for the ease
of use of wikis (or lack thereof), there are plenty of easy to use
wikis out there. If you don't already have a great intranet, you
can go with an all in one package like Telligent Evolution (based on
what used to be called Community Server). It has all sorts of great
intranet tools including wikis and SharePoint support. Otherwise,
there are plenty of free and commercial wikis to choose from. It
really isn't too hard to learn basic wiki syntax, regardless of
which wiki you choose to work with.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=48080

Syndicate content Get the feed