JOB Updated - User Experience Designer at TechSmith (Snagit, Camtasia, Morae)
5 Nov 2009 - 7:43am
Founded in 1987, TechSmith is the world's leading provider of screen capture and recording software for individual and professional use. People everywhere use our products to capture content from their screens in ways that help them communicate more clearly, create engaging presentations for diverse audiences, and analyze product usability and customer experience.
With products localized into five languages and a distribution network of resellers in more than 30 countries, TechSmith's global reach is continually expanding.
Where We Are Located
One of few software development companies in the Midwest, TechSmith is located in Okemos, Michigan. Neighboring cities include East Lansing, home of Michigan State University (MSU), and Lansing, the state's capital.
User Experience Designer
Are you passionate about designing user experiences; know user interface design standards inside and out; know when to break the rules? Are your designs easy, elegant and delightful? Do you believe that people should just be able to use software and not have to learn how to use software? Can you take our products to the next level and want to help us turn user research data into world-class software? Here's the job for you!
* Work with other members of the User Experience Team and Department to ensure that all facets of a users experience are considered - useful, desirable, usable, accessible, learnable, credible and valuable.
* Work with design team to envision, create and validate user interfaces and experiences for desktop software and web services.
* Employ participatory design, creative brainstorming, and other techniques to collaborate with software engineers and other product team members as part of an agile software development process
* Map workflows and user paths, create storyboards, mockups, low and high fidelity prototypes and write UI specifications to support development on multiple platforms.
* Design graphics, icons and other visual design elements
* Evaluate designs using user-centered design techniques such as UI reviews and cognitive walkthroughs
* Maintain an awareness of current trends in technology, design and usability
Required Skills & Background:
* At least 3 years experience in user experience or interaction design for desktop software, websites or browser-based software; those with outstanding portfolios and less experience strongly considered
* Undergraduate training or equivalent experience in Graphic Design, Interactive Media Design, Human Computer Interaction, Game Design or related field
* Technical / software development background, knowledge of developer tools, and object-oriented development
* Working knowledge of human-centered design practices and techniques such as task analysis, workflow diagramming, storyboarding, walkthroughs and UI specifications
* Demonstrated ability to create graphics and icons that are pleasing and appropriate
* Proven ability to design elegantly simple user interfaces
* Strong working knowledge of visual design programs, including Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop; Visio and Macromedia Flash
* Strong understanding of Windows, Mac, and Web UI Guidelines
* Creativity and problem solving skills
* Self-motivated and able to collaborate with a diverse set of people from many disciplines
* Keen attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* You must be legally authorized to work in the United States
Preferred Skills & Background:
* Experience in a commercial software or web service development environment
* Fluency in a foreign language is a big plus
Competitive, based on skills and experience. This is a full-time position with the standard TechSmith benefits package including health insurance and profit sharing. Please submit salary requirements and a digital portfolio along with your resume. Apply online at - https://www.techsmith.com/company/apply.asp?CPid=14