[Job] User Experience Consultant, Princeton, NJ, Infragistics, Full Time
8 Oct 2009 - 11:49am
Infragistics (www.infragistics.com) is the world leader in user interface development tools and experts in the User Experience (UX) market. We are committed to providing our customers the highest quality of reusable presentation layer development tools for .NET. Our products and services empower our customers' software development teams to realize the potential of the presentation layer by accelerating their development cycles and boosting the user experience for their end users.
The main purpose of the UX consultant is enabling customers to produce software that delights their user audiences. The individual advocates the user’s perspective across all development phases, effectively communicating with stakeholders, iteratively creating UI artifacts incl. wireframes and prototypes which s/he tests with target users. The UX consultant will be an expert and evangelist for outstanding usability to the company’s customers and prospects. He or she will mentor customers on best practices, insuring a balance of outstanding usability with excellent design in their products. The UX consultant will build usability & design knowledge proficiency in key vertical markets including finance, insurance and healthcare in order to be able to offer specialized solutions. He or she will teach the iterative design and development process to customers, making recommendations based on user testing and other evaluation methods. The UX consultant will
communicate knowledge and expertise via speaking engagements at conferences, symposiums, and other industry events and through published works including articles, newsletters and blogs. The individual promotes the use of usability “best practice” principles across all company’s product development groups and helps to boost the user experience of Infragistics products and websites.
* Execute UX consulting projects, providing practicable and well-founded expertise and concepts for customers
* Ensure that the customers’ artistic and creative efforts are balanced with usability considerations
* Develop, maintain and deliver UX training to customers, through all our 4 delivery mechanisms: live at customer, live at public places, live via the web and web-based prerecorded training.
* Effectively collaborate with other Infragistics resources such as technical consultants and visual designers to realize projects and generate the best results for our customers
* Write articles and give presentations about user experience
* Exude passion externally to customers and internally to the company’s own design and development teams about the importance of outstanding usability & design
* Participate tactically in key enterprise sales efforts- provide pre-sales advice and expertise related
* Develop in-depth understanding of best practices in key vertical markets including Financial, Insurance and Healthcare and build best practices service offerings tailored to each vertical.
You are an experienced expert in usability engineering consulting. You work in short-paced costumer engagements where you combine your base knowledge in .NET programming with your knowledge and passion for user-centered design. The UI design that you propose is well-founded, attractive and empirically tested. To achieve the optimum user experience you make use of the appropriate usability engineering methods, closely collaborate with technical consultants and visual designers and keep close contact to the customers. You love to promote user experience at industry events and through publications. You participate tactically in enterprise sales efforts as a “rainmaker” who understands key market usability and/or design needs.
Minimum Requirements & Skills
* 4-year degree in HCI, Psychology, Computer Science or related
* Had classes in college about Human-Computer Interaction & Computer Science
* 5+ years professional experience in UX consulting (web and desktop) in line-of-business applications
* Experienced in carrying out core UX methodologies, e.g. UI requirements analysis, wireframing, creation of UI Specs, usability testing
* Familiarity with the UI capabilities of ASP.NET, WinForms, WPF and Silverlight (a plus)
* Willingness and ability to familiarize with Infragistics’ NetAdvantage control suite.
* Track record of promoting UX to others (e.g. through articles)
* 2+ years professional experience in public speaking (e.g. at conferences)
* Ability to communicate complex and technical issues in a straight forward manner
* Ability to mediate between business people and technologists
* Great inter-personal skills
* Ability and willingness to travel and temporarily work at customer sites: 50% of the time
* Excellent listener and communicator with strong English skills
* Clear evidence of understanding excellence in design