Zuckerberg doesn\'t care about users.

22 Mar 2009 - 3:10pm
5 years ago
9 replies
471 reads
Mike Scott
2008

Thoughts?

Owen Thomas from Valleywag has an article entitled Even Facebook
Employees Hate the Redesign which contains the following excerpt

The feedback on Facebook's new look, which emphasizes a stream
of Twitter-like status updates, is almost universally, howlingly
negative. Why isn't CEO Mark Zuckerberg listening to users? Because
he doesn't have to, he's told employees.

A tipster tells us that Zuckerberg sent an email to Facebook
staff reacting to criticism of the changes: "He said something like
'the most disruptive companies don't listen to their customers.'"
Another tipster who has seen the email says Zuckerberg implied that
companies were "stupid" for "listening to their customers." The
anti-customer diktat has many Facebook employees up in arms, we
hear.

http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/2009/03/21/FacebookStreamRedesignDisruptiveCompaniesDontListenToTheirCustomersMarkZuckerburg.aspx

Comments

22 Mar 2009 - 7:56pm
Jarod Tang
2007

dosent listen dosent mean dosent user/research research.

Cheers,
-- jarod

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Mike Scarpiello <fontbomber at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thoughts?
>
> Owen Thomas from Valleywag has an article entitled Even Facebook
> Employees Hate the Redesign which contains the following excerpt
>
> The feedback on Facebook's new look, which emphasizes a stream
> of Twitter-like status updates, is almost universally, howlingly
> negative. Why isn't CEO Mark Zuckerberg listening to users? Because
> he doesn't have to, he's told employees.
>
> A tipster tells us that Zuckerberg sent an email to Facebook
> staff reacting to criticism of the changes: "He said something like
> 'the most disruptive companies don't listen to their customers.'"
> Another tipster who has seen the email says Zuckerberg implied that
> companies were "stupid" for "listening to their customers." The
> anti-customer diktat has many Facebook employees up in arms, we
> hear.
>
>
> http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/2009/03/21/FacebookStreamRedesignDisruptiveCompaniesDontListenToTheirCustomersMarkZuckerburg.aspx
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
http://designforuse.blogspot.com/

22 Mar 2009 - 8:23pm
Angel Marquez
2008

I think user research is a toss up whether it is good or bad. It really
depends on the goals of the project and the people presenting the results.
I've just recently realized that 'researchers' not only parade for
advocating the user and the objective; but, also the unwanted user(s). It
seems like they find out who they don't want and what they need and either
take it away and give them something that is more of a handicap while
empowering a select group; but, not really empowering them because the group
they empower always hires someone to use the garbage they designed for
themselves which is the user(s) that don't really use these products.

Just a thought.

All I know is I like Ms. Mayer. She sounds cool even though they make her
out to be otherwise. I know how & why that happens.

I think the Z-man is on to something. If you want to alleviate
the ridiculous debate sessions that lead to nowhere you have to f*ck join
and create your own.

good for him!

22 Mar 2009 - 8:38pm
Jarod Tang
2007

Hi Angel,

What i was set to express maybe more humble, in user research, we are not
only listen to user, but more importantly watch what they are doing, and try
to interpret it in some logic elegant way, this is especially effective
when we are the user ourselves.
For the Z-Man, he has the data, and the user near around, that nearly all
the components that compose a effective design research and interpretation,
and he may get enough of them for this case ( fb redesign ).

Cheers,
-- Jarod

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Angel Marquez <angel.marquez at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think user research is a toss up whether it is good or bad. It really
> depends on the goals of the project and the people presenting the results.
> I've just recently realized that 'researchers' not only parade for
> advocating the user and the objective; but, also the unwanted user(s). It
> seems like they find out who they don't want and what they need and either
> take it away and give them something that is more of a handicap while
> empowering a select group; but, not really empowering them because the group
> they empower always hires someone to use the garbage they designed for
> themselves which is the user(s) that don't really use these products.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> All I know is I like Ms. Mayer. She sounds cool even though they make her
> out to be otherwise. I know how & why that happens.
>
> I think the Z-man is on to something. If you want to alleviate
> the ridiculous debate sessions that lead to nowhere you have to f*ck join
> and create your own.
>
> good for him!
>

--
http://designforuse.blogspot.com/

22 Mar 2009 - 8:59pm
Angel Marquez
2008

What do you think the Z-mans goals are?
Do you think he is achieving them even more by not giving them what they
want?

22 Mar 2009 - 10:21pm
Jarod Tang
2007

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Angel Marquez <angel.marquez at gmail.com>wrote:

> What do you think the Z-mans goals are?
>

http://scobleizer.com/2009/03/21/why-facebook-has-never-listened-and-why-it-definitely-wont-start-now/

*Don’t get distracted by the current design that looks sort of like Twitter.
Twitter showed that businesses can co-exist on the social graph along with
people. Zuckerberg is smart. He saw that Twitter was going to make a
crapload of money (that’s why he tried to buy Twitter) and instead of being
depressed by being turned down by @ev he decided to phase shift Facebook.*

>
> Do you think he is achieving them even more by not giving them what they
> want?
>
>
>
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10201694-2.html also tells something,
"Perhaps most importantly though, Facebook needs to do a better job easing
users into this redesign. ", this is what may facebook not doing very well
this time.

Cheers,
-- Jarod

--
http://designforuse.blogspot.com/

22 Mar 2009 - 10:44pm
Angel Marquez
2008

I have no idea what went on between twitter and facebook; but, I do know
that big players often create the illusion of not teaming up at first and
the divide and conquer strategy going on behind the scenes is most
effective. I'm not distracted my friend. I don't even have a facebook
account. I remember being sent a myspace invitation when their was under 50
registered users and opted not to join. I did write a document on a shared
server at USWebCKS when I worked their about social networking when it
didn't even exist I called it unheardof.com with the notion of having shared
server space that hosted videos and people could post comments etc..Did the
myspacers work at USWeb in the mid 90's and snag my folder off the network?
I was kind of a dummy back then. I also remember discussing video (VHS)
delivery while smoking cigarettes in the back with some friends of mine,
they laughed. I was all if you can order a pizza and have it delivered why
not a movie too. The smarter one of the bunch immediately said 'how would
you get the movies back..'. That one was a strain. I did say mail em back...
The crapload of money is all relative. It is nice when a new design cash cow
enters the scene and you get to watch the design vampires eyes turn into
dollar signs as they race towards the jugular all more worthy than the
other.
If you continue to use fb and complain about it that is a point for the
Z-man and a negative on the user.

Seriously though I'm not a social network afficianado nor do I want to be. I
don't like another opportunity to quantify success.

I have looked at the API's for fb. twitt. and some others that I prefer for
different reasons. Goodstuff...

Anyways. I still think without hearing it from the horses mouth why he did
what he did without the possibility of BS and ulterior motives it's not much
of a subject matter.

Enjoy using him as bad example though.

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Jarod Tang <jarod.tang at gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Angel Marquez <angel.marquez at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> What do you think the Z-mans goals are?
>>
>
>
> http://scobleizer.com/2009/03/21/why-facebook-has-never-listened-and-why-it-definitely-wont-start-now/
>
> *Don’t get distracted by the current design that looks sort of like
> Twitter. Twitter showed that businesses can co-exist on the social graph
> along with people. Zuckerberg is smart. He saw that Twitter was going to
> make a crapload of money (that’s why he tried to buy Twitter) and instead of
> being depressed by being turned down by @ev he decided to phase shift
> Facebook.*
>
>
>>
>> Do you think he is achieving them even more by not giving them what they
>> want?
>>
>>
>>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10201694-2.html also tells something,
> "Perhaps most importantly though, Facebook needs to do a better job easing
> users into this redesign. ", this is what may facebook not doing very well
> this time.
>
> Cheers,
> -- Jarod
>
> --
> http://designforuse.blogspot.com/
>

22 Mar 2009 - 10:51pm
Angel Marquez
2008

Oh yea, a girl I know works at a salon in palo alto and cuts his hair. she
said he is a big tipper. I asked her if she leaned into it....
maybe I'll ask her to do some reconnaissance and report back her findings.

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Angel Marquez <angel.marquez at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have no idea what went on between twitter and facebook; but, I do know
> that big players often create the illusion of not teaming up at first and
> the divide and conquer strategy going on behind the scenes is most
> effective. I'm not distracted my friend. I don't even have a facebook
> account. I remember being sent a myspace invitation when their was under 50
> registered users and opted not to join. I did write a document on a shared
> server at USWebCKS when I worked their about social networking when it
> didn't even exist I called it unheardof.com with the notion of having
> shared server space that hosted videos and people could post comments
> etc..Did the myspacers work at USWeb in the mid 90's and snag my folder off
> the network? I was kind of a dummy back then. I also remember discussing
> video (VHS) delivery while smoking cigarettes in the back with some friends
> of mine, they laughed. I was all if you can order a pizza and have it
> delivered why not a movie too. The smarter one of the bunch immediately
> said 'how would you get the movies back..'. That one was a strain. I did say
> mail em back...
> The crapload of money is all relative. It is nice when a new design cash
> cow enters the scene and you get to watch the design vampires eyes turn into
> dollar signs as they race towards the jugular all more worthy than the
> other.
> If you continue to use fb and complain about it that is a point for the
> Z-man and a negative on the user.
>
> Seriously though I'm not a social network afficianado nor do I want to be.
> I don't like another opportunity to quantify success.
>
> I have looked at the API's for fb. twitt. and some others that I prefer for
> different reasons. Goodstuff...
>
> Anyways. I still think without hearing it from the horses mouth why he did
> what he did without the possibility of BS and ulterior motives it's not much
> of a subject matter.
>
> Enjoy using him as bad example though.
>
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Jarod Tang <jarod.tang at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Angel Marquez <angel.marquez at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> What do you think the Z-mans goals are?
>>>
>>
>>
>> http://scobleizer.com/2009/03/21/why-facebook-has-never-listened-and-why-it-definitely-wont-start-now/
>>
>> *Don’t get distracted by the current design that looks sort of like
>> Twitter. Twitter showed that businesses can co-exist on the social graph
>> along with people. Zuckerberg is smart. He saw that Twitter was going to
>> make a crapload of money (that’s why he tried to buy Twitter) and instead of
>> being depressed by being turned down by @ev he decided to phase shift
>> Facebook.*
>>
>>
>>>
>>> Do you think he is achieving them even more by not giving them what they
>>> want?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10201694-2.html also tells something,
>> "Perhaps most importantly though, Facebook needs to do a better job easing
>> users into this redesign. ", this is what may facebook not doing very well
>> this time.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- Jarod
>>
>> --
>> http://designforuse.blogspot.com/
>>
>
>

23 Mar 2009 - 10:56am
Alex ONeal
2008

A cardinal rule in research is to give much more weight to what users *do*,
as opposed to listening to what they *say*. While I wouldn't recommend
completely ignoring user comments, if you're planning on designing something
new, or reaching out to a broader or different audience than your current
users, you will clearly not be basing your design on what current users say.

bests,
Alex

--
The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The next best time is
now.

23 Mar 2009 - 3:29pm
Evan Meagher
2009

Zuckerberg, in general, tends to refrain from taking the users'
rights and desires into consideration. This is apparent from the
Facebook Beacon privacy nightmare and now with his absolute disregard
for user feedback on the redesign. To some degree, he has enough
userbase capital to make decisions for "the greater good," as
opposed to what users want, but I would argue that it's going to
come back to bite him in the ass.

Facebook's success is somewhat of a chicken-egg scenario: it's
successful because "everyone uses it" and everyone's using it
because everyone ELSE is using it. The main driving force of a social
networking site is the breadth of the social graph that it
encompasses. No one is going to switch to a new service unless lots
of their friends are already on it. Because of this, Zuckerberg seems
to think that he has plenty of wiggle room to aggravate users, because
they're too devoted to Facebook to leave.

Hopefully either Facebook brass will wise up and pay attention to the
public outcry or some frustrated user will come up with an alternative
service to get Facebook in line with some good 'ol fashioned
competition.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=40309

Syndicate content Get the feed