[Job] Interaction Designer, Irvington NY, House Party, Inc., Full Time
17 Mar 2009 - 1:09pm
Houseparty.com is a unique word-of-mouth in-home marketing platform that
organizes nation-wide events in partnership with Fortune 500 companies
around TV shows, products and services.
Do you have an unhealthy obsession with the way things work? Do you yell at
websites and web applications that are poorly designed, like some sports
nuts yell at their television when their favorite team messes up? Are you
passionate about creating compelling, intuitive online experiences? Do you
love designing complicated systems for social participation?
If you answered yes, then consider joining the houseparty.com team!
As an Interaction Designer for houseparty.com, you will be responsible for
Web site and application designs adhering to a user-centered design
approach. houseparty.com interaction designers translate business and user
requirements and Web strategies into functional, engaging and usable online
experiences using techniques such as wireframing, prototyping and
storyboarding. As part of creating an online experience, interaction
designers collaborate with strategists, graphic designers and copy writers.
- Participate in feature ideation and selection. Participate in
cross-functional brainstorming sessions to determine Web site features and
functionality based on the business needs and objectives and user research
- Create compelling user experiences. Translate business requirements
into concept scenarios, use cases, functional design concepts, workflows,
storyboards, wireframes and prototypes. Understand business needs and weigh
various approaches and tradeoffs in search of best-fit solutions.
- Effectively communicate ideas. Present, clearly explain and defend
interaction design deliverables and concepts to project sponsors and team
- Document site functionality. Facilitate transfer of information to
stakeholders and development team via written design documentation (e.g.
functional specification documents).
- Innovate. Consistently push the envelope of what's been done on the Web
- Obsess about the user. Partner with strategist and information
architects to define user research parameters and assist in usability
- Facilitate collaboration. Participate in a highly collaborative
relationship and help bridge would be gaps between design and development.
- BA or BS degree or equivalent combination of relevant education and
- 1 - 2 years experience working in Web site or software information or
interface design (preferrably a social application or community site).
- Proven success designing sites and applications using Web 2.0
technologies such as AJAX, Flex and Flash (interaction design, not the
- Portfolio demonstrating experience in wireframing/prototyping,
storyboarding or workflow design.
- Familiarity with user centered design (UCD) methodologies (e.g. user
research, usability testing, etc).
- Strong desire to work as a key contributor to a fun, cross-functional
and growing team.
- Passion for solving client and user problems in new and interesting
- Eagerness to learn, share and apply new skills and trends.
- Insatiable thirst for staying on top of Web trends and emerging
- Information design, information architecture and problem solving
- Thoroughness and an eye for detail.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to analyze, define and complete tasks with minimal
- Working knowledge of the following software tools: HTML and CSS for
protoypting; Adobe Software (Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, Dreamweaver)
for design and illustration; Visio, OmniGraffle or alternative for interface
specifications. (This is not a programming position, so basic HTML/CSS is a
- Ability to translate words and concepts into compelling graphics or
- Experience working within an agile process.
- Zest for social media marketing.
- Visual creativity and expertise in Web visual design.
- Sense of humor.
In-house, Irvington, NY
(Relocation not covered.)
Salary is competitive, based on your experience. Stock options, bonus pool.
401k. Medical Coverage.
Please contact Tom Daly with a short blurb about why we should hire you,
along with your resume/cv/linkedIn/site: tom[at]houseparty[dot]com
House Party, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, or disability.