The UX Challenge organizers might be insane

10 Feb 2009 - 3:12pm
5 years ago
59 replies
1126 reads
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

Looks like the UX Challenge organizers changed a few details along the way.
>From the site <http://www.uxchallenge.com/pricing.html>:

- There's a conference fee of $2,000 per person
- The hotel is not included — it's $450 per person for four nights
- Contrary to what is implied on another
page<http://www.uxchallenge.com/concept.html>,
flights from Oslo to Svalbard are not included either

In short, assuming $1,000 for airfare to Oslo (from the USA), it would cost
close to $20,000 to send a team of five people to the UX Challenge. And this
is for an event you have to qualify for to even attend in the first place.

Who do these people think they are?

-r-

Comments

10 Feb 2009 - 3:33pm
Casey Edgeton
2008

Yeah... but there's polar bears!

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr <robert at rhjr.net> wrote:

> Looks like the UX Challenge organizers changed a few details along the way.
> >From the site <http://www.uxchallenge.com/pricing.html>:
>
> - There's a conference fee of $2,000 per person
> - The hotel is not included — it's $450 per person for four nights
> - Contrary to what is implied on another
> page<http://www.uxchallenge.com/concept.html>,
> flights from Oslo to Svalbard are not included either
>
> In short, assuming $1,000 for airfare to Oslo (from the USA), it would cost
> close to $20,000 to send a team of five people to the UX Challenge. And
> this
> is for an event you have to qualify for to even attend in the first place.
>
> Who do these people think they are?
>
> -r-

10 Feb 2009 - 3:36pm
Mike Dunn
2008

Well, it looks like getting there may be part of the challenge...

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr <robert at rhjr.net> wrote:

> Looks like the UX Challenge organizers changed a few details along the way.
> >From the site <http://www.uxchallenge.com/pricing.html>:
>
> - There's a conference fee of $2,000 per person
> - The hotel is not included — it's $450 per person for four nights
> - Contrary to what is implied on another
> page<http://www.uxchallenge.com/concept.html>,
> flights from Oslo to Svalbard are not included either
>
> In short, assuming $1,000 for airfare to Oslo (from the USA), it would cost
> close to $20,000 to send a team of five people to the UX Challenge. And
> this
> is for an event you have to qualify for to even attend in the first place.
>
> Who do these people think they are?
>
> -r-
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

10 Feb 2009 - 3:50pm
Todd Warfel
2003

Might be a way to weed out people. Perhaps you could contact them
regarding offering some scholarships.

I've already assembled a team and will be attending (if we get
accepted), but realize that it's not accessible to everyone. Perhaps
future years will be more affordable.

On Feb 10, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr wrote:

> Who do these people think they are?

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
----------------------------------
Contact Info
Voice: (215) 825-7423
Email: todd at messagefirst.com
AIM: twarfel at mac.com
Blog: http://toddwarfel.com
Twitter: zakiwarfel
----------------------------------
In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they are not.

10 Feb 2009 - 3:58pm
Den Serras
2009

Just be sure to take off your shoes whenever you enter a shop in
Longyearbyen, the capital of Svalbard! I never would have learned
that had I not seen that link. Thanks, Robert!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=38434

10 Feb 2009 - 5:32pm
Jared M. Spool
2003

On Feb 10, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr wrote:

> In short, assuming $1,000 for airfare to Oslo (from the USA), it
> would cost
> close to $20,000 to send a team of five people to the UX Challenge.
> And this
> is for an event you have to qualify for to even attend in the first
> place.

Sponsorship! Team jackets with logos!

This is the NASCAR of UX.

10 Feb 2009 - 5:45pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

>
> Sponsorship! Team jackets with logos!
>
> This is the NASCAR of UX.
>

Great idea! Though, I think sponsors prefer to somehow benefit from the
deal.

Regardless, the Miskeeto logo sure would look great on one of those satin
jackets. ;)

-r-

10 Feb 2009 - 6:55pm
Todd Warfel
2003

That came up at Ixd09. It's a fantastic sponsorship opportunity.

On Feb 10, 2009, at 5:32 PM, Jared Spool wrote:

> Sponsorship! Team jackets with logos!
>
> This is the NASCAR of UX.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
----------------------------------
Contact Info
Voice: (215) 825-7423
Email: todd at messagefirst.com
AIM: twarfel at mac.com
Blog: http://toddwarfel.com
Twitter: zakiwarfel
----------------------------------
In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they are not.

10 Feb 2009 - 6:55pm
Todd Warfel
2003

Imagine sponsoring a team at the inaugural UX Challenge. That sponsor
could promote the event along w/UX Challenge. It's a win win.

On Feb 10, 2009, at 5:45 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr wrote:

> Great idea! Though, I think sponsors prefer to somehow benefit from
> the
> deal.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
----------------------------------
Contact Info
Voice: (215) 825-7423
Email: todd at messagefirst.com
AIM: twarfel at mac.com
Blog: http://toddwarfel.com
Twitter: zakiwarfel
----------------------------------
In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they are not.

10 Feb 2009 - 7:41pm
Nasir Barday
2006

Especially cool payoff if you sponsor, say, a Jamaican Bobsled team:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106611/

- Nasir

10 Feb 2009 - 9:33pm
Dave Malouf
2005

Guys, the reason to put a logo on a jacket is so the jacket gets
exposure w/ or w/o winning. If the only way to get exposure is to
win, then you want to do more than sponsor a "random" team. You
want the team to be PART of you. You want credit, i.e. you want the
team to be in your employ!

-- dave

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=38434

10 Feb 2009 - 4:17pm
Miles Dowsett
2008

...Erm could be worse I suppose; the world could be hampered by a
global economic meltdown and the worse recession for about 75 years!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=38434

11 Feb 2009 - 4:54am
Peter Boersma
2003

Todd wrote:
> Especially cool payoff if you sponsor, say, a Jamaican Bobsled team:
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106611/

I worked as a user experience designer in Jamaica for 3 weeks, do I qualify for the team?
And I can spell "bacon" in Jamaican: "b-e-e-r-c-a-n!" :-)

Peter "Sanka, you dead?" Boers-ya-mon

11 Feb 2009 - 7:38am
Jay Morgan
2006

Robert asked:"Who do these people think they are?"
I believe the perspective of the Arctic Challenge is:
"Who do you think you are?"...Given that you enter and must be selected.
And, "Are you good enough to compete?"...Given that it's an arctic
competition, and the judges must be persuaded to select you.

After all, there will be polar bears. Which, in the event of outdoor
competition, is a moderate increase in risk even for those who regularly
negotiate bureaucratic ills or political warfare.

Enjoy.

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr <robert at rhjr.net> wrote:

> Looks like the UX Challenge organizers changed a few details along the way.
> >From the site <http://www.uxchallenge.com/pricing.html>:
>
> - There's a conference fee of $2,000 per person
> - The hotel is not included — it's $450 per person for four nights
> - Contrary to what is implied on another
> page<http://www.uxchallenge.com/concept.html>,
> flights from Oslo to Svalbard are not included either
>
> In short, assuming $1,000 for airfare to Oslo (from the USA), it would cost
> close to $20,000 to send a team of five people to the UX Challenge. And
> this
> is for an event you have to qualify for to even attend in the first place.
>
> Who do these people think they are?
>
> -r-
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
------------------------------------------------------------
Jay A. Morgan
Director, UX at Gage in Minneapolis

twitter.com/jayamorgan
google talk: jayamorgan
skype: jaytheia

------------------------------------------------------------

11 Feb 2009 - 9:37am
SemanticWill
2007

My personal take is that this is such a unique event, that I am
working with a few folks to assemble a team - and we have all started
saving for it - your right though - 5K per person is huge - but for me
and my team, we think its worth it.

~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will Evans | User Experience Architect
tel: +1.617.281.1281 | will at semanticfoundry.com
http://blog.semanticfoundry.com
aim: semanticwill
gtalk: semanticwill
twitter: semanticwill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Feb 10, 2009, at 12:12 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr wrote:

> Looks like the UX Challenge organizers changed a few details along
> the way.
>> From the site <http://www.uxchallenge.com/pricing.html>:
>
> - There's a conference fee of $2,000 per person
> - The hotel is not included — it's $450 per person for four nights
> - Contrary to what is implied on another
> page<http://www.uxchallenge.com/concept.html>,
> flights from Oslo to Svalbard are not included either
>
> In short, assuming $1,000 for airfare to Oslo (from the USA), it
> would cost
> close to $20,000 to send a team of five people to the UX Challenge.
> And this
> is for an event you have to qualify for to even attend in the first
> place.
>
> Who do these people think they are?
>
> -r-
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help

11 Feb 2009 - 10:20am
jarango
2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Will Evans <wkevans4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 5K per person is huge

$5k per person in huge -- if you live/work in the "developed" markets.
For those of us in less developed countries, it is simply unrealistic.

A shame, too -- if the objective really is to "bring forth a web
concept that will contribute to world peace and reconciliation",
making it more accessible to folks from a variety of backgrounds would
have been desirable.

Cheers,

~ Jorge

11 Feb 2009 - 10:52am
Caroline Jarrett
2007

Jorge:
>
> $5k per person in huge -- if you live/work in the "developed" markets.
> For those of us in less developed countries, it is simply unrealistic.
>
> A shame, too -- if the objective really is to "bring forth a web
> concept that will contribute to world peace and reconciliation",
> making it more accessible to folks from a variety of backgrounds would
> have been desirable.

Isn't this also an example of 'genius design' at its worst? The basic
premise of the competition is that they want a web site that will help to
bring peace to an area of conflict - but they are going to do it by locking
designers into a room and telling them to come up with a great design.

How will the user and other stakeholders be brought into that?

Best
Caroline Jarrett

11 Feb 2009 - 11:01am
Jared M. Spool
2003

On Feb 11, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Caroline Jarrett wrote:

> Isn't this also an example of 'genius design' at its worst? The basic
> premise of the competition is that they want a web site that will
> help to
> bring peace to an area of conflict - but they are going to do it by
> locking
> designers into a room and telling them to come up with a great design.

And not just *any* room.

A room with Polar Bears!

11 Feb 2009 - 11:13am
Scott McDaniel
2007

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Caroline Jarrett
<caroline.jarrett at effortmark.co.uk> wrote:
> Jorge:
>>
>> $5k per person in huge -- if you live/work in the "developed" markets.
>> For those of us in less developed countries, it is simply unrealistic.
>>
>> A shame, too -- if the objective really is to "bring forth a web
>> concept that will contribute to world peace and reconciliation",
>> making it more accessible to folks from a variety of backgrounds would
>> have been desirable.
>
> Isn't this also an example of 'genius design' at its worst? The basic
> premise of the competition is that they want a web site that will help to
> bring peace to an area of conflict - but they are going to do it by locking
> designers into a room and telling them to come up with a great design.
>
> How will the user and other stakeholders be brought into that?

I wouldn't think so - there's a time and space for 'being locked in a
room' - ideas can build,
brainstorming accomplished, the knowledge and experience of those
coming in can be brought to bear.
It may be slight heresy to suggest this could ever possibly work in
any imaginable scenario,
but...it can. Not all things are equal to all purposes, really, and
not all conferences are for everyone,
and the end results can be for different purposes and effect.

What is stopping anyone unable and unwilling to go and engage in what
this conference has
to offer from producing their own solutions?
(Of course, the standard answers are valid: time, money, will, etc.)

To be fair, this one certainly isn't for me, unless I was of a
different level of wealth and mindset.
Brr!

Scott

--
"In art and dream may you proceed with abandon. In life may you
proceed with balance and stealth." -Patti Smith

11 Feb 2009 - 11:37am
Adrian Howard
2005

On 11 Feb 2009, at 16:01, Jared Spool wrote:

>
> On Feb 11, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Caroline Jarrett wrote:
>
>> Isn't this also an example of 'genius design' at its worst? The basic
>> premise of the competition is that they want a web site that will
>> help to
>> bring peace to an area of conflict - but they are going to do it by
>> locking
>> designers into a room and telling them to come up with a great
>> design.
>
> And not just *any* room.
>
> A room with Polar Bears!

A rather extreme form of team motivation if ever there was one!

Adrian

11 Feb 2009 - 11:52am
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

>
> What is stopping anyone unable and unwilling to go and engage in what
> this conference has to offer from producing their own solutions?
>

I can answer for myself. I work on socially-conscious/responsible projects
all the time because my company <http://www.miskeeto.com> offers a discount
on them and we're most interested in those types of projects. I'm not going
to lose any sleep for having not worked on another one. I was really just
interested because it's in the Arctic. :)

-r-

11 Feb 2009 - 11:54am
Todd Warfel
2003

On Feb 11, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Scott McDaniel wrote:

> (Of course, the standard answers are valid: time, money, will, etc.)

Sponsorship. Sponsorship. Sponsorship.

Part of the challenge is getting there.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
----------------------------------
Contact Info
Voice: (215) 825-7423
Email: todd at messagefirst.com
AIM: twarfel at mac.com
Blog: http://toddwarfel.com
Twitter: zakiwarfel
----------------------------------
In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they are not.

11 Feb 2009 - 12:10pm
Jay Morgan
2006

Todd wrote: "Part of the challenge is getting there."
I left that out of my other message, but this was another part of it. There
are barriers to getting there. There are barriers to entering. There are
barriers to participating.

It is a challenge on multiple levels. I think it's even been a challenge to
plan.

Enjoy.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Todd Zaki Warfel <lists at toddwarfel.com>wrote:

>
> On Feb 11, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Scott McDaniel wrote:
>
> (Of course, the standard answers are valid: time, money, will, etc.)
>>
>
> Sponsorship. Sponsorship. Sponsorship.
>
> Part of the challenge is getting there.
>
>
> Cheers!
>
> Todd Zaki Warfel
> President, Design Researcher
> Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
> ----------------------------------
> Contact Info
> Voice: (215) 825-7423
> Email: todd at messagefirst.com
> AIM: twarfel at mac.com
> Blog: http://toddwarfel.com
> Twitter: zakiwarfel
> ----------------------------------
> In theory, theory and practice are the same.
> In practice, they are not.
>
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
------------------------------------------------------------
Jay A. Morgan
Director, UX at Gage in Minneapolis

twitter.com/jayamorgan
google talk: jayamorgan
skype: jaytheia

------------------------------------------------------------

11 Feb 2009 - 12:51pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

>
> Sponsorship. Sponsorship. Sponsorship.
>

(Playing devil's advocate.) Make a case for this. What would a sponsor get
out of the deal?

-r-

11 Feb 2009 - 12:51pm
jet
2008

Jay Morgan wrote:
> Todd wrote: "Part of the challenge is getting there."
> I left that out of my other message, but this was another part of it. There
> are barriers to getting there. There are barriers to entering. There are
> barriers to participating.

The playa would be much cheaper and more challenging. No room service,
of course, or A/V techs, or running water...

--
J. Eric "jet" Townsend, CMU Master of Tangible Interaction Design '09

design: www.allartburns.org; hacking: www.flatline.net; HF: KG6ZVQ
PGP: 0xD0D8C2E8 AC9B 0A23 C61A 1B4A 27C5 F799 A681 3C11 D0D8 C2E8

11 Feb 2009 - 1:00pm
Jared M. Spool
2003

On Feb 11, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr wrote:

>> Sponsorship. Sponsorship. Sponsorship.
>>
>
> (Playing devil's advocate.) Make a case for this. What would a
> sponsor get
> out of the deal?

Well, the constant ESPN coverage and the celebrity photo shoot with
supermodels is what interests me.

11 Feb 2009 - 12:59pm
Todd Warfel
2003

On Feb 11, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr wrote:

> (Playing devil's advocate.) Make a case for this. What would a
> sponsor get out of the deal?

You kidding me? Can you imagine the prestige of sponsoring the winning
team at an extreme challenge like this? It's like sponsoring the first
balloon or boat to make it around the world. Or the first spaceship to
the moon or Mars. This is extreme in so many ways it's not even funny.

Now, do you want to be the one who gets the credit for helping my team
winning this or not? Because someone is going to get that opportunity.
I'm giving you the opportunity to be that sponsor.

All in how you pitch it.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
----------------------------------
Contact Info
Voice: (215) 825-7423
Email: todd at messagefirst.com
AIM: twarfel at mac.com
Blog: http://toddwarfel.com
Twitter: zakiwarfel
----------------------------------
In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they are not.

11 Feb 2009 - 1:11pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

>
> You kidding me? Can you imagine the prestige of sponsoring the winning team
> at an extreme challenge like this? It's like sponsoring the first balloon or
> boat to make it around the world. Or the first spaceship to the moon or
> Mars. This is extreme in so many ways it's not even funny.
>

That must be some awfully tasty Kool-Aid you've been drinking, but no, I
can't imagine the prestige because I'm doubtful that anyone outside of the
team who wins, and perhaps their employers, will care.

This is hardly the first spaceship to Mars — it's a 2-day prototyping
challenge. I'm sure it's not the first, and I'm sure it won't be the last.
And as far as the "extreme" aspect goes, sure it's in the Arctic, but that
fact doesn't make the challenge any more challenging. It's not like you'll
be bolting together machinery out in the cold, bracing wind — you'll be
using a MacBook Pro inside of a hotel. What's extreme about it?

-r-

11 Feb 2009 - 1:15pm
Catriona Lohan-...
2007

One of my heroes is fellow Irishman Ernest Shackleton... His
Antarctic expedition back in 1901-04 is legendary and made me go
there. However I went on a commercial expedition ship but want to
return to do Shackleton's trip and with an altruistic purpose.

When I did some work for Burberry a couple of years ago and reading
their history I discovered they actually sponsored the expedition
gear for the trip... if you don't know the story check it out here,
his books or the PBS movie with Kenneth Brannagh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Shackleton

There will be plenty of people interested in sponsoring this and I
personally want to do it and would like to do it for a cause. My
favorite is MS society and I think I could get some corporations to
sponsor me.

Take a look at all the extreme sport expeditions that come out of UK
esp. The Volvo Round the World, The Vendée Globe etc and the money is
there - human interest trumps recession too as people become engaged
and following explodes.

Catríona

__________________________
Catríona Lohan-Conway
User Experience Architect
917 405 5127
clohanconway at mac.com

P Please consider our environment before printing.

On Feb 11, 2009, at 12:59 PM, Todd Zaki Warfel wrote:

>
> On Feb 11, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr wrote:
>
>> (Playing devil's advocate.) Make a case for this. What would a
>> sponsor get out of the deal?
>
> You kidding me? Can you imagine the prestige of sponsoring the
> winning team at an extreme challenge like this? It's like
> sponsoring the first balloon or boat to make it around the world.
> Or the first spaceship to the moon or Mars. This is extreme in so
> many ways it's not even funny.
>
> Now, do you want to be the one who gets the credit for helping my
> team winning this or not? Because someone is going to get that
> opportunity. I'm giving you the opportunity to be that sponsor.
>
> All in how you pitch it.
>
>
> Cheers!
>
> Todd Zaki Warfel
> President, Design Researcher
> Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
> ----------------------------------
> Contact Info
> Voice: (215) 825-7423
> Email: todd at messagefirst.com
> AIM: twarfel at mac.com
> Blog: http://toddwarfel.com
> Twitter: zakiwarfel
> ----------------------------------
> In theory, theory and practice are the same.
> In practice, they are not.
>
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help

11 Feb 2009 - 1:15pm
SemanticWill
2007

I have started to open up some of my wireframe designs, interaction
models, concept models and task flows over the past month, and plan to
be doing a lot more of that because I see a real lack of deliverables
being shown/highlighted in the community. Truth is that most is locked
behind NDAs, but truth is also that it doesn't require that much to
sanitize the work.
Over the last year I have used a combination of AI CS3 and Omnigraffle
to do most of that work - I could see doing a lot more of that over
the next 6 months as I explore FW for wireframing and prototyping, and
as I show this work I think one of those companies might be interested
in having their tools highlighted in the deliverables as well as the
teams competing in the challenge. No doubt those will also be the
companies that will sponsor the conference - just thinking out loud
here.
Another potential reason is bragging rights if an exclusive deal is
struck between a team and a tool vendor. Many folks in the field labor
in relative obscurity cranking out quality work that never sees the
light of day - compared to some people/companies/agencies that are
constantly advertising how much they "Get UX" or how much they sell UX/
IxD in their promotional materials - but all we ever see - if we see
anything - is their approved client lists but never any deliverables.
This is a chance for people and companies that think they can compete
- to show up. I think just showing up and putting your chops on the
line says a lot - it's not empty bragging if your willing to put your
ego on the line and potentially get crushed. I would also say it's not
about winning, it's about contributing but for some folks - it will be
about winning, and thats a good thing if it contributes to the
community as well as to the mission of the UX Challenge - at least as
I see it.

~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will Evans | User Experience Architect
tel: +1.617.281.1281 | will at semanticfoundry.com
http://blog.semanticfoundry.com
aim: semanticwill
gtalk: semanticwill
twitter: semanticwill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Feb 11, 2009, at 1:00 PM, Jared Spool wrote:

>
> On Feb 11, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr wrote:
>
>>> Sponsorship. Sponsorship. Sponsorship.
>>>
>>
>> (Playing devil's advocate.) Make a case for this. What would a
>> sponsor get
>> out of the deal?
>
> Well, the constant ESPN coverage and the celebrity photo shoot with
> supermodels is what interests me.
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help

11 Feb 2009 - 1:53pm
Todd Warfel
2003

On Feb 11, 2009, at 1:15 PM, Will Evans wrote:

> it's about contributing

And that's why I'm interested. Well, that and the celebrity ESPN
photos ;).

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
----------------------------------
Contact Info
Voice: (215) 825-7423
Email: todd at messagefirst.com
AIM: twarfel at mac.com
Blog: http://toddwarfel.com
Twitter: zakiwarfel
----------------------------------
In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they are not.

11 Feb 2009 - 2:44pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

>
> Do it at the bottom of the ocean!
>
> Or on the surface of the sun!

Or in the back seat of a Volkswagon Beetle. (Mall Rats joke. Sorry. Had to
be done.)

-r-

11 Feb 2009 - 2:39pm
Christian Crumlish
2006

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Robert Hoekman Jr <robert at rhjr.net> wrote:
>>
> And as far as the "extreme" aspect goes, sure it's in the Arctic, but that
> fact doesn't make the challenge any more challenging. It's not like you'll
> be bolting together machinery out in the cold, bracing wind — you'll be
> using a MacBook Pro inside of a hotel. What's extreme about it?

Do it at the bottom of the ocean!

Or on the surface of the sun!

-x-

--
Christian Crumlish
I'm writing a book so please forgive any lag
http://designingsocialinterfaces.com

11 Feb 2009 - 3:00pm
Andrew Boyd
2008

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Jared Spool <jspool at uie.com> wrote:

>
> On Feb 11, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr wrote:
>
> Sponsorship. Sponsorship. Sponsorship.
>>>
>>>
>> (Playing devil's advocate.) Make a case for this. What would a sponsor get
>> out of the deal?
>>
>
> Well, the constant ESPN coverage and the celebrity photo shoot with
> supermodels is what interests me.
>
>
Nobody said there'd be supermodels! Now it makes sense. Chicks really dig
those UX superstars, huh?

--
---
Andrew Boyd
http://uxaustralia.com.au -- UX Australia Conference Canberra 2009
http://uxbookclub.org -- connect, read, discuss
http://govux.org -- the government user experience forum
http://resilientnationaustralia.org Resilient Nation Australia

11 Feb 2009 - 3:12pm
Mike Long
2007

Will mentioned several products like OmniGraffle, Adobe Illustrator,
Fireworks, etc. Perhaps Adobe, OmniGroup, and other "tool" folks
would like to sponsor the overall event? At least to cover travel and
entry for people who do not have the necessary means for the necessary
means for participating.

Under the banner of world peace and reconciliation, a barrier to
entry should not be cost. We would exclude developing nations,
designers working for non-profits, and students.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=38434

11 Feb 2009 - 3:41pm
Dave Malouf
2005

Great!
Ok, this Adobe, Omnigraffle sponsorship really only makes sense if
you have an us vs. them competition, where you have Adobe Tools vs.
Microsoft tools, or Mozilla sponsors a team dedicated to purely open
sources tools (or Sun, b/c they have OpenOffice). Which was the
original point of car sponsorship. In the Grand Prix world you often
have a Honda, toyota or Mercedes team. They put millions of dollars
into these teams not just to get exposure but to research.

Once you go the route of sponsoring, just for support of a
personality or possible "winner", we might as well just have Team
Viagra. Todd? (Oh! I just couldn't resist ... please strike that
from the testimony!!)

The only sponsor should be the employer of the team. Team Message
First. Team Semantic Foundry. That all makes sense to me.

But Michael and Jorge both made really important points that since
most conflicts are happening in more poor parts of the world, it
might make more sense to include teams from the part of the world
that are most effected by the problems you want to engage.

Again, HUBRIS!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=38434

11 Feb 2009 - 3:51pm
Catriona Lohan-...
2007

nice idea... we could follow what they used to do at the college of
surgeons in dublin...

1/3 from developed countries
1/3 Ireland
1/3 from developing countries

In essence those with paid for those without. I'm sure they could
work out an inclusive formula
__________________________
Catríona Lohan-Conway
User Experience Architect
917 405 5127
clohanconway at mac.com

P Please consider our environment before printing.

On Feb 11, 2009, at 7:12 AM, Michael Long wrote:

> Will mentioned several products like OmniGraffle, Adobe Illustrator,
> Fireworks, etc. Perhaps Adobe, OmniGroup, and other "tool" folks
> would like to sponsor the overall event? At least to cover travel and
> entry for people who do not have the necessary means for the necessary
> means for participating.
>
> Under the banner of world peace and reconciliation, a barrier to
> entry should not be cost. We would exclude developing nations,
> designers working for non-profits, and students.
>
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=38434
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help

11 Feb 2009 - 1:35pm
Dan Saffer
2003

On Feb 11, 2009, at 7:52 AM, Caroline Jarrett wrote:

> Isn't this also an example of 'genius design' at its worst? The basic
> premise of the competition is that they want a web site that will
> help to
> bring peace to an area of conflict - but they are going to do it by
> locking
> designers into a room and telling them to come up with a great design.

I'm still trying to figure out why it needs to be a website. That
seems also pretty limiting, assuming a lot of the people that could be
reached may not have web access (!!!).

Dan

11 Feb 2009 - 4:07pm
Gabby Hon
2006

I find it deeply amusing that the price and the logistics of attending
are what people find unbelievable. My god, the very *premise* of the
challenge is patently absurd: let's build a website/application to
bring about world peace!

Talk about first world privilege obliviousness. My god.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=38434

11 Feb 2009 - 5:00pm
SemanticWill
2007

So I take it you will *not* be watching the Olympics :-)

The carbon footprint and hubris behind a bunch of pampered, drugged-up
athletes getting million dollar deals while the world goes to war and
Al Gore racks up billions of pounds in carbon emissions flying around
the globe selling green because he failed as a presidential candidate?
There is a lot of hubris to go around.

A little challenge is a good thing - imho.

~ will

On Feb 11, 2009, at 1:07 PM, Gabby wrote:

> I find it deeply amusing that the price and the logistics of attending
> are what people find unbelievable. My god, the very *premise* of the
> challenge is patently absurd: let's build a website/application to
> bring about world peace!
>
> Talk about first world privilege obliviousness. My god.
>

11 Feb 2009 - 4:35pm
Dave Malouf
2005

Touche Gabby,
Thank you for the slap in the face. I think I was just starting where
Robert did.
Dan seems to have a similar response. "A Web Site"? Oy!

-- dave

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=38434

11 Feb 2009 - 5:24pm
Jared M. Spool
2003

On Feb 11, 2009, at 3:00 PM, Andrew Boyd wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Jared Spool <jspool at uie.com> wrote:
>
> On Feb 11, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr wrote:
>
> Sponsorship. Sponsorship. Sponsorship.
>
>
> (Playing devil's advocate.) Make a case for this. What would a
> sponsor get
> out of the deal?
>
> Well, the constant ESPN coverage and the celebrity photo shoot with
> supermodels is what interests me.
>
>
> Nobody said there'd be supermodels! Now it makes sense. Chicks
> really dig those UX superstars, huh?

Wait. I didn't say they'd be chicks.

11 Feb 2009 - 5:29pm
Jared M. Spool
2003

On Feb 11, 2009, at 2:39 PM, Christian Crumlish wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Robert Hoekman Jr
> <robert at rhjr.net> wrote:
>>>
>> And as far as the "extreme" aspect goes, sure it's in the Arctic,
>> but that
>> fact doesn't make the challenge any more challenging. It's not like
>> you'll
>> be bolting together machinery out in the cold, bracing wind —
>> you'll be
>> using a MacBook Pro inside of a hotel. What's extreme about it?
>
> Do it at the bottom of the ocean!
>
> Or on the surface of the sun!

Yah. On the surface of the sun!

With Polar Bears!

And Celebrity Supermodels!

That's the ticket!

11 Feb 2009 - 5:33pm
SemanticWill
2007

On Feb 11, 2009, at 5:29 PM, Jared Spool wrote:

>
> On Feb 11, 2009, at 2:39 PM, Christian Crumlish wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Robert Hoekman Jr
>> <robert at rhjr.net> wrote:
>>>>
>>> And as far as the "extreme" aspect goes, sure it's in the Arctic,
>>> but that
>>> fact doesn't make the challenge any more challenging. It's not
>>> like you'll
>>> be bolting together machinery out in the cold, bracing wind —
>>> you'll be
>>> using a MacBook Pro inside of a hotel. What's extreme about it?
>>
>> Do it at the bottom of the ocean!
>>
>> Or on the surface of the sun!
>
> Yah. On the surface of the sun!
>
> With Polar Bears!
>
> And Celebrity Supermodels!
>
> That's the ticket!

You forgot the key ingredient:

Christopher Walken

11 Feb 2009 - 5:51pm
Casey Edgeton
2008

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Will Evans <wkevans4 at gmail.com> wrote:

>
> You forgot the key ingredient:
>
>
> Christopher Walken
>
>
And his key ingredient: cowbell

c a s e y e d g e t o n
---------------------------------
Interaction Designer | http://www.designasaurusrex.com
cedgeton at gmail.com | casey.edgeton at oracle.com

11 Feb 2009 - 5:54pm
Bill DeRouchey
2010

It sounds like the key UX Challenge here is Affordance.

11 Feb 2009 - 5:57pm
SemanticWill
2007

Okay, that was brilliant

~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will Evans | User Experience Architect
tel: +1.617.281.1281 | will at semanticfoundry.com
http://blog.semanticfoundry.com
aim: semanticwill
gtalk: semanticwill
twitter: semanticwill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Feb 11, 2009, at 5:54 PM, Bill DeRouchey wrote:

> It sounds like the key UX Challenge here is Affordance.

11 Feb 2009 - 6:47pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

>
> I'm still trying to figure out why it needs to be a website. That seems
> also pretty limiting, assuming a lot of the people that could be reached may
> not have web access (!!!).
>

Me, too. But then, it's about "contribute to world peace and
reconciliation", and there's definitely some potential in the
"reconciliation" part of that phrase. I don't want to start giving away
ideas for potential qualifying teams or anything, but I thought of at least
a few possibilities immediately after reading that line.

-r-

11 Feb 2009 - 6:50pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

>
> My god, the very *premise* of the challenge is patently absurd: let's build
> a website/application to bring about world peace!
>

"Contribute" to, not "bring about". Key difference. No website will ever
bring it about, but we can all certainly contribute to it.

-r-

11 Feb 2009 - 6:55pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

>
> "Contribute" to, not "bring about". Key difference. No website will ever
> bring it about, but we can all certainly contribute to it.
>

Specifically, the site says you'll work towards "creating a prototype for a
web system with the goal of creating dialogue between people under and after
a conflict."

Much more specific. But then again, we know the real goal for the event is
to try to kill IA. Or a polar bear. Or maybe it was Jesse James Garrett.

-r-

11 Feb 2009 - 7:03pm
Jared M. Spool
2003

On Feb 11, 2009, at 6:55 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr wrote:

> Much more specific. But then again, we know the real goal for the
> event is
> to try to kill IA. Or a polar bear. Or maybe it was Jesse James
> Garrett.

Ah, the man in black.

I always suspected there was something special about *him*.

Syndicate content Get the feed