Designing Search forms - Search button placement

16 Oct 2008 - 2:28pm
5 years ago
7 replies
1822 reads
Kinjal
2006

Hi All

I don’t think placement of action button for search form
with 2 or more search parameters has been discussed in the group yet. Everyone
in the group would have sometime worked to design search forms for intranets or
websites that have 2 or more search parameters. I find a lot of research on registration
forms but not on search forms. Luke has conducted great research on the registration
forms and the design of the forms. A friend of mine has read the book by Luke
and doesn’t think that there is any thing mentioned on search form in the book.
Search is totally different we can’t apply results from registration form study blindly
for search forms, it might be but I am curious to know if anyone researched on a search form (I am talking of scenario where we have only primary action
and no secondary action) with 2 or more search parameters in basic or advanced search. For
eg. to book a flight 2 or 3 search parameters are presented or to buy a book there can be more than 2 parameters presented for basic search and most of the websites
I found have “Search” button to the right.. Is there any study showing which
placement works best for search button and why?

Comments

16 Oct 2008 - 2:43pm
SemanticWill
2007

Can you define the problem space a little better? What kind of search? What
kind of information seeking behavior are your users exhibiting? Known-item?
Exploratory? Re-finding? Is this a federated search requiring something like
a meta-search engine? What kind of searching is happening here?

- W
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Kinjal <kinju_3 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
>
> I don't think placement of action button for search form
> with 2 or more search parameters has been discussed in the group yet.
> Everyone
> in the group would have sometime worked to design search forms for
> intranets or
> websites that have 2 or more search parameters. I find a lot of research on
> registration
> forms but not on search forms. Luke has conducted great research on the
> registration
> forms and the design of the forms. A friend of mine has read the book by
> Luke
> and doesn't think that there is any thing mentioned on search form in the
> book.
> Search is totally different we can't apply results from registration form
> study blindly
> for search forms, it might be but I am curious to know if anyone researched
> on a search form (I am talking of scenario where we have only primary action
> and no secondary action) with 2 or more search parameters in basic or
> advanced search. For
> eg. to book a flight 2 or 3 search parameters are presented or to buy a
> book there can be more than 2 parameters presented for basic search and most
> of the websites
> I found have "Search" button to the right.. Is there any study showing
> which
> placement works best for search button and why?
>
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will Evans | User Experience Architect
tel: +1.617.281.1281 | will at semanticfoundry.com
aim: semanticwill | gtalk: wkevans4
twitter: semanticwill | skype: semanticwill
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16 Oct 2008 - 3:12pm
Oleh Kovalchuke
2006

Also how do you place the one, two or three fields and what are the space
constraints?

--
Oleh Kovalchuke
Interaction Design is design of time
http://www.tangospring.com/IxDtopicWhatIsInteractionDesign.htm

16 Oct 2008 - 3:21pm
SemanticWill
2007

the search button tends to be to the right of the search box because of
tabbing. i don't have enough experience with application design for right to
left like 2byte languages - hebrew/arabic/chinese/korean etc. in app design
under such conditions, does the tabbing action go from right to left as
well? if not - then button to right of field.

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Oleh Kovalchuke <tangospring at gmail.com>wrote:

> Also how do you place the one, two or three fields and what are the space
> constraints?
>
> --
> Oleh Kovalchuke
> Interaction Design is design of time
> http://www.tangospring.com/IxDtopicWhatIsInteractionDesign.htm
>
>
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Will Evans <will at semanticfoundry.com>
> wrote:
> > Can you define the problem space a little better? What kind of search?
> What
> > kind of information seeking behavior are your users exhibiting?
> Known-item?
> > Exploratory? Re-finding? Is this a federated search requiring something
> like
> > a meta-search engine? What kind of searching is happening here?
> >
> > - W
> > On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Kinjal <kinju_3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All
> >>
> >>
> >> I don't think placement of action button for search form
> >> with 2 or more search parameters has been discussed in the group yet.
> >> Everyone
> >> in the group would have sometime worked to design search forms for
> >> intranets or
> >> websites that have 2 or more search parameters. I find a lot of research
> on
> >> registration
> >> forms but not on search forms. Luke has conducted great research on the
> >> registration
> >> forms and the design of the forms. A friend of mine has read the book by
> >> Luke
> >> and doesn't think that there is any thing mentioned on search form in
> the
> >> book.
> >> Search is totally different we can't apply results from registration
> form
> >> study blindly
> >> for search forms, it might be but I am curious to know if anyone
> researched
> >> on a search form (I am talking of scenario where we have only primary
> action
> >> and no secondary action) with 2 or more search parameters in basic or
> >> advanced search. For
> >> eg. to book a flight 2 or 3 search parameters are presented or to buy a
> >> book there can be more than 2 parameters presented for basic search and
> most
> >> of the websites
> >> I found have "Search" button to the right.. Is there any study showing
> >> which
> >> placement works best for search button and why?
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> ________________________________________________________________
> >> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> >> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> >> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> >> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> >> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > ~ will
> >
> > "Where you innovate, how you innovate,
> > and what you innovate are design problems"
> >
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Will Evans | User Experience Architect
> > tel: +1.617.281.1281 | will at semanticfoundry.com
> > aim: semanticwill | gtalk: wkevans4
> > twitter: semanticwill | skype: semanticwill
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> > List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> > List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
> >
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will Evans | User Experience Architect
tel: +1.617.281.1281 | will at semanticfoundry.com
aim: semanticwill | gtalk: wkevans4
twitter: semanticwill | skype: semanticwill
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19 Oct 2008 - 9:24am
Yohan Creemers
2008

For right to left scripts (languages don't have a direction, the
direction depends on the script in which the language is written) the
complete lay-out is mirrored. When designing for the web, you don't
have to worry about it. The direction property in HTML takes care of
it.

See the following test page and press the [switch] button to change
the direction.

http://www.ylab.nl/lab/bidi-form.htm

Note what happens with labels (in latin script), the tab order and
the scrollbars.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=34431

19 Oct 2008 - 12:13pm
DampeS8N
2008

Just don't forget your friends who use screen readers. With the
button on the right, they hit a blank form with no label and don't
know what it is. Use the label tag and then shrink, sink, and hide it
under the text field with CSS.

If someone uses the site without styles, it will look like this:

Search: [_______________________][Search]

Will

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=34431

19 Oct 2008 - 12:49pm
Matthew Zuckman
2008

I am not sure how you mean to implement the multi-parameter aspect
(does having more than one parameter necessitate the need for
multiple form fields?), but another option is to have no search
button at all. Many products (Firefox, Safari, OS X find) use a
carriage-return to submit the search terms, or depending on how you
are setting up the functionality, search results could return as the
user enters text.

./z

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=34431

19 Oct 2008 - 2:26pm
DampeS8N
2008

Many people expect a button, and don't know to hit return to send the
request. My parents are like this, they always click the button.

Will

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=34431

Syndicate content Get the feed