JOB: Manager, User Experience - Motorola Enterprise Mobility - Holtsville, NY (Long Island)
30 Sep 2008 - 10:13pm
[Candidates who do not apply through the method listed at the bottom
of this email will not be considered due to lack of detail
Location: US – Holtsville, New York
Job Level: Senior Staff
Field: Interaction Design
Job Functions: Project Management, User Experience
About the company:
Motorola's Enterprise Mobility Business is headquartered in
Holtsville, NY on Long Island. It is a recognized worldwide leader in
enterprise mobility, delivering products and solutions that capture,
move and manage information in real time to and from the point of
business activity. Motorola's enterprise mobility solutions integrate
advanced data capture products, radio frequency identification
technology, mobile computing platforms, wireless infrastructure,
mobility software and world-class services programs under the Motorola
Enterprise Mobility Services brand.
Scope of Responsibilities/Expectations:
Innovation and Design is part of Enterprise Mobility Business and
includes the disciplines of industrial design, user experience design,
design research and advanced mechanical packaging. The team focuses on
H1 (product under development) and H2 (new innovations) programs. Our
industrial design, user experience team work directly with development
groups on product programs through the entire development process.
This includes handheld products with both hardware and software UI
challenges and web based tools used primarily for device deployment
and management. The team also focuses on H2 innovation working with
divisions on new technologies or new market opportunities. Given the
team's cross division view, we actively pitch H2 project ideas and
develop those ideas through and innovation pipeline process. The team
has a strategic role within EMP, given our in-depth customer business
knowledge, our ability to turn around fully developed products (ready
for prototype testing or production).
• Build and manage a UI team to support ongoing (H1) division product
development programs and future concept (H2) development programs
• Perform strategic customer research to identify key product
differentiation and enable product strategy / road-map discussions.
• Provide strategic H2 product vision of future product families and
new business opportunities for EMb.
• Develop roadmap (Horizon 1) product vision of differentiated
products and features for EMb.
• Create innovative disruptive product concepts that build on EMb's
technical or market expertise but are not yet on division road-maps.
The ability to aggregate data from design research, marketing and
technical requirements and other sources into clear, actionable
• Proven experience with interaction techniques such as navigation
flows, site architectures, wireframes, content matrices, and
• Ability to lead multiple development programs
• Industry experience in developing the UI design elements for
• Ability to provide strategic guidance to the business on UI design issues
• Experience developing UI solutions for Windows Mobile and Windows CE products
• Significant experience with UI prototyping software – Flash,
Expression Blend or equivalents
10+ years experience working as an interaction designer
3+ years managing a software design team and working with one or more
of the following: Sketching, Iconography, Prototyping, Flash, HTML
Editor, Illustrator, Fireworks, UI design.
• Bachelor's degree in interaction design or equivalent – master's
• Experience working on web-based applications, desktop software and
device-based user interfaces.