POSITION: User Experience Specialist / Full-time / New York, New York
23 Sep 2008 - 1:32pm
INSTITUTION NAME: ARTstor
POSITION LOCATION: New York, New York
POSITION TITLE: User Experience Specialist
POSITION DURATION: FTE
ARTstor is seeking a User Experience Specialist who will work on new
development initiatives and platform enhancements for ARTstor a digital
image library of nearly one million images used for research and educational
purposes at ARTstor-participating institutions worldwide. As a key member of
the User Services team, the Specialist will work actively in cross-unit
functional groups to gather requirements, specify, document, develop, and
prototype ARTstor online environments including the ARTstor public website,
the ARTstor digital library, ARTstor communication vehicles in electronic
formats (currently the ARTstor blog and wiki), and others as they evolve
over time. The Specialist will work on a variety of projects varying in size
and complexity to produce high-quality solutions utilizing industry
standards and best practices.
The Specialist will have the ability to work closely with project managers,
information architects, programmers, designers, quality assurance
specialists, other interface professionals and all ARTstor business units as
The User Experience Specialist will work closely with other ARTstor units,
in particular the User Services and Technology teams. Specific
* Collaborate with the user researchers and stakeholders to identify and
understand both business and user needs.
* Participate in conceptual development with project teams.
* Develop project feature sets and functional requirements.
* Work collaboratively with User Experience Strategist and consultants to
develop interface solutions.
* Scope, develop and understand technical requirements with the assistance
from Technology department.
* Visualize concepts quickly and cleanly through sketching and other rapid
* Document feature behavior in detail using: user personas, storyboards,
wireframes, concise site maps, transaction flows, diagrams and interface
* Working directly with Financial Services staff to facilitate accurate and
timely invoice generation and distribution.
* Contribute to iterative refinement throughout the design and development
* Design interfaces and produce graphic assets as needed.
* Present, clearly and concisely, various stages of interface design
* Work collaboratively with interface engineers to define page types and
templates for production.
* Ensure that progress is made in a timely and efficient manner.
* Work closely with software developers and quality assurance staff during
implementation and testing.
The User Experience Specialist should be energetic and flexible, should have
strong personal and communication skills, have the ability to work closely
with a small dedicated team in a fast-paced environment, and should be
committed to the delivery of high-quality service to users in the
educational and arts community. Candidate should be able to work
independently and in a self-directed manner and demonstrate ability to work
cooperatively with professional staff members in all sectors, internally and
* Experience applying a variety of UX methods and techniques, such as
interaction design, information architecture, usability, user research, and
* Experience with prototyping tools.
* Experience working with information architects, programmers, designers,
metadata and imaging specialists.
* Web design experience.
* Familiarity with web standards and accessibility.
* Excellent communication skills oral, written, listening, presentation.
* Proven ability to multi-task and to be extremely well organized.
* Undergraduate or graduate degree in human factors, human computer
interaction, graphic design, technology, and/or user experience related
* 2 years experience designing and documenting applications or large-scale
web-based applications, involving detailed design schematics and business
rules. (preferably within a creative team)
* Familiarity with usability heuristics and relevant HCI literature.
* Ability to research, understand and organize specialized content.
* Proficiency in one or more of the following: Adobe InDesign, Adobe
Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Visio, HTML, Dreamweaver.
* Experience working in an agile development process.
* Familiarity with client and server side development using various
technologies including Java, Ruby on Rails, and AJAX.
ARTstor is a non-profit whose mission is to use digital technology to
enhance scholarship, teaching and learning in the arts and associated
fields. ARTstor serves a community of not-for-profit research institutions
in the United States, including colleges, universities, secondary schools,
public libraries, and museums, as well as the international not-for-profit
As part of a community-wide effort to further this goal, ARTstor will build,
continually develop and distribute a digital library of images and related
information that aims to serve the needs of researchers, teachers and
students. ARTstor will work closely with both providers and users of content
from educational and cultural institutions around the world to construct a
non-profit, public utility.
ARTstor is an equal opportunity employer. ARTstor offers a competitive
salary, excellent benefits and a collegial working environment. Nominations
and applications, including a cover letter, resume and salary history,
should be emailed to: uxspecialist at artstor.org
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No telephone