Popup window or not?

23 Sep 2008 - 4:28am
6 years ago
2 replies
773 reads
Sachin Ghodke
2008

I have been working on this new website and I am uncertain if I should pass
the control from a .NET page to FLASH one by using a pop-up window. Some
opinions in my office are differing and want the control to be within the
same page.
Here are the two scenarios:
(1) Use pop-up to pass control to the flash interface for the user to
configure the product.
(2) Use the same window to pass control to the flash interface for the user
to configure the product.

The possibility is that in #1 the user can go back and forth into rest of
the website where as every time the user needs to check for any other
product he stands a chance to loose what has been worked on or configured in
option #2. And for #2 there is no way that the user has any option to go
back to the website.

The reason why I am asking this is because we came to the conclusion if we
need to provide for the pop-up window to close after the user clicks on the
last button - "Add to Cart" - within the flash interface. Is this the right
thing for the user to experience?

I need to decide on this quick and would appreciate if your expert inputs
were provided within the next day.

Thank you.

--
Sachin Ghodke

Comments

23 Sep 2008 - 9:54am
Mohammed Mansoor
2005

Hi Sachin,

There are cases where one needs to use pop-up like functionality, like for
example one needs information from another part of the same application to
complete the task at hand. Like fetching an Email ID from Contacts page of
the same application to input in the Compose page. Even in such scenarios it
is recommended to use a Modal window, one that would be attached to the
parent and minimize and maximize along with it. Thus preventing the user
from loosing track of the child window. Modal window would also prevent the
user from working on the parent window till a decision is made on the child
window.

I am presuming that using pop-up windows in scenarios such as yours would
mean disconnecting from the parent application.
Since in your case you are using the flash interface to configure the parent
application, you must show a connection. Thus it is highly recommend for you
to not use a pop-up or at the max use a Modal window.

*Reference:*

- http://www.codestore.net/store.nsf/unid/DOMM-4R5MDQ?
- http://www.dannyg.com/support/modalFix.html

All the best!
- Mansoor.

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Sachin <sachyn.ghodke at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been working on this new website and I am uncertain if I should pass
> the control from a .NET page to FLASH one by using a pop-up window. Some
> opinions in my office are differing and want the control to be within the
> same page.
> Here are the two scenarios:
> (1) Use pop-up to pass control to the flash interface for the user to
> configure the product.
> (2) Use the same window to pass control to the flash interface for the user
> to configure the product.
>
> The possibility is that in #1 the user can go back and forth into rest of
> the website where as every time the user needs to check for any other
> product he stands a chance to loose what has been worked on or configured
> in
> option #2. And for #2 there is no way that the user has any option to go
> back to the website.
>
> The reason why I am asking this is because we came to the conclusion if we
> need to provide for the pop-up window to close after the user clicks on the
> last button - "Add to Cart" - within the flash interface. Is this the right
> thing for the user to experience?
>
> I need to decide on this quick and would appreciate if your expert inputs
> were provided within the next day.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Sachin Ghodke
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

23 Sep 2008 - 1:43pm
Sachin Ghodke
2008

Hey Mansoor,

What i am doing in the child window is to configure a product,
generate price as i configure and then "add to wish list" or
"print" or "save" or "email" or "compare list" or "add to
cart". All of these choices are present in the child window.
Depending on the user's selection the control is again passed to the
parent window which displays the shopping cart for the configured
product. At this stage the user has the option to re-configure if
s/he would want to. I still feel if the navigation i am suggesting is
to be followed I would then use a popup.

Going by what you say - I wont be able to pass control any point of
time in navigation to the parent window which I fail to see why I
should not do that? I would want to have the control to e passed to
the parent window easily and if now then I would like to further hear
your thoughts on this.

Due to the nature of the specification and business for which the
website is beind made for the user would spend most of the time in
the flash interface (80-85%).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=33353

Syndicate content Get the feed