Hyperbolic Trees

5 Sep 2008 - 4:31pm
5 years ago
7 replies
1368 reads
Dennis Morrow
2006

Hi Lauren,

Have you looked at PersonalBrain http://www.thebrain.com/#-47 from The
Brain

Hope this help

:D

Dennis Morrow
Director, Information Architecture & Usability
Web Associates
desk. 408.550.2960
cell. 408.621.5084
webassociates.com

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com] On Behalf Of
Jack Leon Moffett
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 2:15 PM
To: IxDA Discuss
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Firefly

Lauren,

You want to Google Hyperbolic Trees.

Best,
Jack

On Sep 5, 2008, at 9:57 AM, lauren wrote:

> I've seem maps like this now and again, but can't for the life of
> me remember where, and my research is turning up very little--I may
> be using wrong terminology. I've looked for animated maps, bubble
> maps, tree maps, hierarchy maps, data maps... and combinations
> thereof.

Jack L. Moffett
Interaction Designer
inmedius
412.459.0310 x219
http://www.inmedius.com

First, recognize that the 'right' requirements
are in principle unknowable by users, customers
and designers at the start.

Devise the design process, and the formal
agreement between designers and customers and users,
to be sensitive to what is learnt by any of the
parties as the design evolves.

- J.C. Jones

________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help

Comments

5 Sep 2008 - 8:42pm
Janet M. Six
2003

Hi Lauren,

Check out the graph visualization products at Tom Sawyer Software
(tomsawyer.com) and at graphviz.org. Also google "fish-eye graph
visualization". Xerox PARC built a nice fish-eye visualization tool
that fits your needs about 10 years ago.

I have a great deal of experience in the graph visualization field,
so please let me know if you have any other questions. ;-)

Janet Six, Ph.D.

Principal -- Lone Star Interaction Design
jsix at lonestarinteractiondesign.com

Dennis Morrow wrote:

>Hi Lauren,
>
>Have you looked at PersonalBrain http://www.thebrain.com/#-47 from The
>Brain
>
>Hope this help
>
>:D
>
>Dennis Morrow
>Director, Information Architecture & Usability
>Web Associates
>desk. 408.550.2960
>cell. 408.621.5084
>webassociates.com
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com
>[mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com] On Behalf Of
>Jack Leon Moffett
>Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 2:15 PM
>To: IxDA Discuss
>Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Firefly
>
>Lauren,
>
>You want to Google Hyperbolic Trees.
>
>Best,
>Jack
>
>
>On Sep 5, 2008, at 9:57 AM, lauren wrote:
>
>
>
>>I've seem maps like this now and again, but can't for the life of
>>me remember where, and my research is turning up very little--I may
>>be using wrong terminology. I've looked for animated maps, bubble
>>maps, tree maps, hierarchy maps, data maps... and combinations
>>thereof.
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>Jack L. Moffett
>Interaction Designer
>inmedius
>412.459.0310 x219
>http://www.inmedius.com
>
>
>First, recognize that the 'right' requirements
>are in principle unknowable by users, customers
>and designers at the start.
>
>Devise the design process, and the formal
>agreement between designers and customers and users,
>to be sensitive to what is learnt by any of the
>parties as the design evolves.
>
> - J.C. Jones
>
>
>________________________________________________________________
>Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
>To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
>Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
>List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
>List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>________________________________________________________________
>Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
>To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
>Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
>List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
>List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>
>
>

5 Sep 2008 - 6:21pm
Larry Buck
2008

InXight (a Xerox Parc spinoff that was later acquired by Business
Objects(BO)) has had a product out there for a long time (I believe
it predates Thinkmap and the sourceforge efforts).

They called it StarTree. It was very nice but the license was
expensive (more than $15K back in 2002-ish); don't know what BO
charges for it now.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=32709

6 Sep 2008 - 8:45pm
Itamar Medeiros
2006

If you're just trying to graph data (network in particular) in
different visualization styles, you could try yFILES:

http://www.yworks.com/en/index.html

{ Itamar Medeiros } Information Designer
designing clear, understandable communication by
caring to structure, context, and presentation
of data and information

mobile ::: 86 13671503252
website ::: http://designative.info/
aim ::: itamarlmedeiros
skype ::: designative

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=32709

13 Oct 2008 - 11:17am
SemanticWill
2007

I test drove yworks - but here is the deal - not great. When I was designing
a social network analytics diagramming application (thick client C#) and we
need semantically correct nodes for linking, cross-linking, sets, clustering
and calculations like degrees of correlation/degrees of separation - we went
with GoDiagrams. It was also a function of the fact that sourcing from a
foreign country when doing intelligence application development for some
government agencies is a big hassle - everything you ever wanted to do with
dynamic hyperbolic trees - you can do with godiagram - and they are small,
located in NH - and it doesn't take much in terms of customer support to be
talking with one of the actual developers. Also reasonbly priced for source
code. http://www.nwoods.com/

- W

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Itamar Medeiros
<medeiros.itamar at gmail.com>wrote:

> If you're just trying to graph data (network in particular) in
> different visualization styles, you could try yFILES:
>
> http://www.yworks.com/en/index.html
>
> { Itamar Medeiros } Information Designer
> designing clear, understandable communication by
> caring to structure, context, and presentation
> of data and information
>
> mobile ::: 86 13671503252
> website ::: http://designative.info/
> aim ::: itamarlmedeiros
> skype ::: designative
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=32709
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will Evans | User Experience Architect
tel: +1.617.281.1281 | will at semanticfoundry.com
aim: semanticwill | gtalk: wkevans4
twitter: semanticwill | skype: semanticwill
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13 Oct 2008 - 12:16pm
Janet M. Six
2003

You should also check out Orgnet.com

Janet

Will Evans wrote:

>I test drove yworks - but here is the deal - not great. When I was designing
>a social network analytics diagramming application (thick client C#) and we
>need semantically correct nodes for linking, cross-linking, sets, clustering
>and calculations like degrees of correlation/degrees of separation - we went
>with GoDiagrams. It was also a function of the fact that sourcing from a
>foreign country when doing intelligence application development for some
>government agencies is a big hassle - everything you ever wanted to do with
>dynamic hyperbolic trees - you can do with godiagram - and they are small,
>located in NH - and it doesn't take much in terms of customer support to be
>talking with one of the actual developers. Also reasonbly priced for source
>code. http://www.nwoods.com/
>
>- W
>
>
>On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Itamar Medeiros
><medeiros.itamar at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>
>
>>If you're just trying to graph data (network in particular) in
>>different visualization styles, you could try yFILES:
>>
>>http://www.yworks.com/en/index.html
>>
>>{ Itamar Medeiros } Information Designer
>> designing clear, understandable communication by
>> caring to structure, context, and presentation
>> of data and information
>>
>> mobile ::: 86 13671503252
>> website ::: http://designative.info/
>> aim ::: itamarlmedeiros
>> skype ::: designative
>>
>>
>>. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>>Posted from the new ixda.org
>>http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=32709
>>
>>
>>________________________________________________________________
>>Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
>>To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
>>Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
>>List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
>>List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

13 Oct 2008 - 8:19pm
Itamar Medeiros
2006

I agree with Will when he says that "yFILES is not great", but one
impression that I have of all the "off-the-shelf" data
visualization packages (yFILES, IBM's Many Eyes, etc...) is that --
without the ability to tweak with the code to suit specific
visualization needs -- it's difficult to get the results you want.

That said, I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about
"Processing" (http://processing.org/)... which is not a product,
but a programming language.

I've also heard a few people talking about Google's Data Viz API...
has anybody tried that one?

...
{ Itamar Medeiros } Information Designer
designing clear, understandable communication by
caring to structure, context, and presentation
of data and information

mobile ::: 86 13671503252
website ::: http://designative.info/
aim ::: itamarlmedeiros
skype ::: designative

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=34244

13 Oct 2008 - 10:47pm
Jarod Tang
2007

http://cmap.ihmc.us/ is one of the best i ever use ( though the
interface is a bit ugly)

Cheers,
-- Jarod

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 5:31 AM, Dennis Morrow <dmorrow at webassociates.com> wrote:
> Hi Lauren,
>
> Have you looked at PersonalBrain http://www.thebrain.com/#-47 from The
> Brain
>
> Hope this help
>
> :D
>
> Dennis Morrow
> Director, Information Architecture & Usability
> Web Associates
> desk. 408.550.2960
> cell. 408.621.5084
> webassociates.com
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com] On Behalf Of
> Jack Leon Moffett
> Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 2:15 PM
> To: IxDA Discuss
> Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Firefly
>
> Lauren,
>
> You want to Google Hyperbolic Trees.
>
> Best,
> Jack
>
>
> On Sep 5, 2008, at 9:57 AM, lauren wrote:
>
>> I've seem maps like this now and again, but can't for the life of
>> me remember where, and my research is turning up very little--I may
>> be using wrong terminology. I've looked for animated maps, bubble
>> maps, tree maps, hierarchy maps, data maps... and combinations
>> thereof.
>
>
>
>
> Jack L. Moffett
> Interaction Designer
> inmedius
> 412.459.0310 x219
> http://www.inmedius.com
>
>
> First, recognize that the 'right' requirements
> are in principle unknowable by users, customers
> and designers at the start.
>
> Devise the design process, and the formal
> agreement between designers and customers and users,
> to be sensitive to what is learnt by any of the
> parties as the design evolves.
>
> - J.C. Jones
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
http://designforuse.blogspot.com/

Syndicate content Get the feed