Jobs: Information Architect | Greater Boston | Staples
31 Jul 2008 - 9:38am
Lisa Young Gee
You've heard our company tagline: "That was easy." Now come join one of the
key teams that are making that statement a reality.
*About Our Team
*The Staples Usability team continues to be one of the thought leaders in
usability and is growing to meet company demand for our services. We are
comprised of researchers, information architects and analytics experts. Our
mission is to cut costs and increase sales by using science to analyze
behavior and optimize design. No easy task, but one that is achievable with
a focused, all-star team of experts driving to the same goal.
*About the Roles*
* *We are currently seeking 2 Information Architects and a Usability Project
Manager to join our tight-knit team. While both IA roles may include support
for e-commerce, one will be a dedicated resource to support the Retail side
of the business.
*1. Information Architect on Staples Websites and internal information
* *Projects might include updating the flow for user interactions on
Staples.com, or creating the user flow for a microsite.
*2. Information Architect on Staples Websites, internal information systems
and Retail and Associate facing interfaces*
* *Retail projects might include mapping out the user flow for kiosks that
customers use in the store, or interfaces that store associates might
interact with to create a custom print order.
* Primary Duties and Responsibilities:*
As the ideal candidate for this position you must have a thorough grounding
in information architecture and interaction design. You must be able to
produce and refine brilliant ideas that work with existing solutions and be
able to communicate these ideas easily.
You must be comfortable working in diverse teams while facilitating the
development of design solutions. Above all, you must have a clear
understanding of how to balance user needs and business drivers.
In this capacity you will:
· Identify key user-interaction requirements by participating in JAD
sessions and other business requirement forums.
· Facilitate user interface definition sessions by leading teams through
white boarding exercises and discussions.
· Pin-point important issues that may require further discovery research by
collaborating with usability resources.
· Architect user interaction solutions/schema based on sound usability
principles, research and technical feasibility.
· Express these solutions through design documents. These documents include
architecture-maps, system process flows and thumbnail flows.
· Partner with Usability Manager on research plans and integrate findings
into design through an iterative process.
· Manage contractors as needed.
· Perform expert reviews on concepts and wire frames and integrate this
into the design process on an iterative basis by presenting the findings and
suggesting changes where necessary.
· Create and maintain a centralized repository of IA documentation.
· Provide IA support for ongoing application production and bug fixes.
Minimum of a Masters degree in Interaction Design, Cognitive Psychology,
MIS, Industrial Design or related discipline required.
At least 4 years of information architecture/interaction design experience
in a corporate or consulting environment required. Some background in
e-commerce a definite plus.
Must be able to translate business strategies into conceptual diagrams,
task flows, and site maps. Expertise in using Visio preferred.
Must be a strong presenter and communicator with excellent interpersonal
Ability to lead high-level, cross-functional definition meetings that map
out the user experience of new projects.
Strong understanding of computer platforms like AS400, client server, non
web applications and related usability issues.
Understanding of usability testing practices and theory required.
Experience managing information architecture or interaction design on
large-scale projects required. Some experience managing internal and
Background in system development methodology including the Software
Development Life Cycle and techniques for contextual inquiry, task analysis
and interaction design required.
Some technical skills in putting together click-through prototypes and