JOB: Interaction Designer - San Francisco, CA - GreatSchools - Full Time
29 Jul 2008 - 6:19pm
The Interaction Designer will work in cross-functional teams to create
interactive designs for high-traffic web applications aimed at parents
of K-12 students. Experience with interface design, information
architecture, and interactive content design is required. A passion
for user-centered design and creating intuitive and engaging user
interfaces is key for this position.
What do we want you to do?
* Design innovative, engaging, and effective interactions that
help parents use our applications to solve problems.
How will you go about it?
* Develop user profiles or personas to help all teams come to a
shared understanding of who our customers are and what challenges they
* Develop an information architecture and user task flows that
pull together the various resources we have to offer in intuitive ways.
* Ensure quality and effectiveness of visual designs by
participating in the design process, managing user testing, and
collaborating with the development team.
* Create rapid prototypes and mock-ups to validate design
concepts with stakeholders and customers.
* Develop style guides and design specifications that developers
will use to implement and validate interaction designs.
How will you know you're successful?
* Work with measurement and product teams to define metrics for
* Help define multivariant tests and integrate data from web
analytics into UI development.
* Conduct formal or informal user and usability testing to
validate the usability and intuitiveness of our interaction designs,
information architecture, and user flows.
* 4+ years interaction design experience in web application
product development. Experience with interaction design in an agile
development environment is a plus.
* Demonstrated experience in information architecture, user
testing, and prototyping for innovative product design.
* Ability to translate business requirements into effective UI
solutions, manage the development of usable design standards and
visual style guides, identify conflicting design requirements and
constructively solve problems for the end user.
* Thorough understanding of widgets, controls, and feedback
mechanisms used on the web, their appropriate uses and what they
communicate to users.
* Solid presentation skills and experience presenting design
scenarios and solutions confidently and credibly to internal
* Ability to manage time and resources on multiple projects with
multiple timelines. Ability to deal with changing priorities as needs
* Experience with running multivariant tests is desirable.
* Experience integrating video and interactive technologies is
Bachelor's degree in human factors, interaction design or related
discipline. Advanced degree in Design or HCI a plus.
A portfolio demonstrating interaction design experience is required.
Please send a URL in the body of your application.
You made it this far! Take the next step and send us an e-mail telling
us why you think you would be a great candidate for this opportunity
to jobs-ue.ixda at greatschools.net. Be sure to include your resume and a
link to your portfolio, and use "Interaction Designer" in the subject
This is a full-time (40 hours/week) position. We offer competitive
salaries, medical, dental, vision, life and disability benefits, paid
time off, bonus and retirement plans including matching contributions.
Please contact us only if this is what you are seeking. No contract
offers, please. Must be authorized to work in the United States on a
full-time basis for any employer. We cannot sponsor H1B visas at this
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our
GreatSchools is an independent, nonprofit organization that empowers
and inspires parents to participate in their child?s development and
Parents choose GreatSchools to connect with each other -- to find the
right schools, to share stories and advice, and to get their parenting
questions answered. In the past year alone, more than 35 million
people visited GreatSchools (www.greatschools.net). With hundreds of
thousands of ratings and parent reviews about schools across the
country, GreatSchools is the paramount parent-to-parent education
Our organization's mission is to empower parents with information and
tools so they can choose the best school for their children, support
their education, and improve schools in their communities. A Webby
award-winning site, GreatSchools is supported by many foundations and
corporations, including the Doris & Donald Fisher Fund, Bill and
Melinda Gates Foundation, the Robertson Foundation, the Walton Family
Foundation, and more.