And now a completely different take on design

30 Jun 2008 - 7:31pm
6 years ago
8 replies
685 reads
Dave Malouf
2005

Check out this WSJ interview with Bang & Olufsen freelance designer,
David Lewis.
Definitely different than what I would have expected.

http://tinyurl.com/48d9py

- dave

--
David Malouf
http://synapticburn.com/
http://ixda.org/
http://motorola.com/

Comments

30 Jun 2008 - 7:43pm
Steve Baty
2009

"It's really one man thinking a crazy idea" - wanted Senior Crazy Idea Man.

2008/7/1 David Malouf <dave.ixd at gmail.com>:

> Check out this WSJ interview with Bang & Olufsen freelance designer,
> David Lewis.
> Definitely different than what I would have expected.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/48d9py
>
> - dave
>
> --
> David Malouf
> http://synapticburn.com/
> http://ixda.org/
> http://motorola.com/
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
----------------------------------------------
Steve 'Doc' Baty B.Sc (Maths), M.EC, MBA
Principal Consultant
Meld Consulting
M: +61 417 061 292
E: stevebaty at meld.com.au

UX Statistics: http://uxstats.blogspot.com

Member, UPA - www.upassoc.org
Member, IA Institute - www.iainstitute.org
Member, IxDA - www.ixda.org
Contributor - UXMatters - www.uxmatters.com

1 Jul 2008 - 9:23am
jrrogan
2005

Is there any good design that's not "at least" initiated by "one crazzy guy,
(or gal)"?

Rich

On 6/30/08, Steve Baty <stevebaty at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "It's really one man thinking a crazy idea" - wanted Senior Crazy Idea Man.
>
>
>
>
> --
> Joseph Rich Rogan
> President UX/UI Inc.
> http://www.jrrogan.com

1 Jul 2008 - 9:32am
Mark Schraad
2006

Yes - but it does not make for great press, and is a much harder press
release to construct. Most everything in journalism these days is
subject initiated. Few journalist take the time to really be creative
and dig for story ideas. Its much easier to draw from a mountain of PR
efforts.

</cynicism>

There is lots of great design that comes from distributed or studio teams.

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Rich Rogan <jrrogan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any good design that's not "at least" initiated by "one crazzy guy,
> (or gal)"?
>
> Rich
>
>
> On 6/30/08, Steve Baty <stevebaty at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> "It's really one man thinking a crazy idea" - wanted Senior Crazy Idea Man.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Joseph Rich Rogan
>> President UX/UI Inc.
>> http://www.jrrogan.com
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

1 Jul 2008 - 11:57am
Peyush Agarwal
2007

Thanks Dave for that link. Two things really stand out to me:

1. "We wouldn't dream of doing something that wouldn't hold. This is part of the culture."
Working in the USA, it seems that the whole product design & deployment culture is based around planned obsolescence. I had to essentially throw away my first external cd-recorder because Philips didn't update drivers for new OS's! That's all - it was some software they decided wasn't worth it to write. I had perfectly good hardware that's dead in a landfill somewhere because of it. I see focus on pushing product out, not getting it right. It is so resource-intensive and environmentally destructive (Sony-Ericsson alone has like, 100's of cellphone models and they couldn't all possibly for completely different types of users), yet I don't quite know how to advocate for longer-lasting, more classic designs. Is it us? Is it the business? Is it the users?

2. "Practically everything in this store is designed exactly as it was envisioned".
This is striking because not only the designer's vision is not diluted unlike any of the projects I've ever worked on, apparently the designers too are able to create something that's complete enough to succeed when it hits production. Do I understand this right? How can we get closer to this model? I'm not saying that UX designers should simply be allowed to play God, but how do we prevent 'vision erosion' between finalization of design and it's eventual deployment, and how to we get to mature enough designs that can make a great case for 'not messing w/ it'?

-Peyush

--------------------------

Check out this WSJ interview with Bang & Olufsen freelance designer,
David Lewis.
Definitely different than what I would have expected.

http://tinyurl.com/48d9py

- dave

--

1 Jul 2008 - 2:02pm
Brendan Cullen
2008

"As a designer or an engineer, you can only be open-minded and
flexible and ask how we can best realize the ideas these people have.
Sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong.

All I can do is keep making good design in every respect."

Yea, that's definitely going on the wall. Thanks for link

Brendan
http://www.brendancullen.com

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=30924

2 Jul 2008 - 6:28am
Rob Tannen
2006

For an alternate perspective to this article, read about how Bang &
Olufsen's "great man" design process failed them in the past when
trying to enter the digital music market:

http://tinyurl.com/55t7g4

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=30924

2 Jul 2008 - 6:47am
Dave Malouf
2005

To me that doesn't say anything bad about the process. Heck, Apple
has had a slew of failures. Fail big! is a designers mantra. Just
bounce back and keep going!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=30924

2 Jul 2008 - 7:33am
Jared M. Spool
2003

On Jul 2, 2008, at 5:47 AM, dave malouf wrote:

> To me that doesn't say anything bad about the process. Heck, Apple
> has had a slew of failures. Fail big! is a designers mantra. Just
> bounce back and keep going!

Apple's Board of Directors wasn't completely replaced.

>>
> WSJ: A lot of changes are under way at B&O after a rocky fiscal
> year. CEO Torben Sorensen was fired in January. How much rethinking
> has this meant for design?
>
> MR. LEWIS: Our whole board of directors has been fired, which means
> that the advisory board just wouldn't accept the results. Fair enough.

Something at B&O is really broken. Think this approach has anything to
do with that?

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: jspool at uie.com p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks

Syndicate content Get the feed