JOB: Senior User Interface/Visual Designer, Houston TX, Hewlett Packard, Full Time
13 Jun 2008 - 3:29pm
Lim, Nam Ee
Title: Senior User Interface/Visual Designer
Salary: $100K base, depending on experience
Location: Houston, TX
Hewlett-Packard (HP) is making the computer personal again!
HP works to understand the world and make ideas happen. Its innovative
and exciting Corporate Design organization is responsible for the
conceptualization and development of customer-focused new products. This
includes research, creating form, aesthetics, physical and software
interfaces and system compatibility. Corporate Design collaborates with
other business functions involved in the new customer-focused product
development process to make Design a strategic company-wide capability.
Customer insight drives design strategy.
HP is seeking an exceptional Senior UI/UX Designer to help drive the
next generation of HP software products. This is an opportunity to
deliver world-class products reaching millions of customers. This
individual will need an entrepreneurial sprit and be able to communicate
good design practices and principles. This person will also work closely
with Industrial Designers, Human Factors Specialists and Marketing
Personnel to develop and execute interfaces that invoke
Hewlett-Packard's "Invent" spirit. This role will contribute to driving
HP design attitude and design language across the ecosystem of the
Personal Systems Group.
The Senior User Interface Designer will report to the UI Design Manager.
As the UI expert on the team, the Senior User Interface Designer
* Discover and design new user experiences, create interactive
design mockups, establish and produce visual assets, and write
behavioral documentation needed for proper design implementation.
* Deliver and communicate successful customer/user-focused
software design solutions that drive business success.
* Provide direction to/guide outside firms or other external
resources, as necessary, in the creation and use of standards and
* Select appropriate methods and deliverables to meet project,
schedule and budget constraints.
Superior Hands-On Visual User Interface/Design Skills
* An outstanding body of work demonstrating the successful
delivery of innovative interface design solutions, including developing
standards and guidelines
* Knowledge of User Centered Design Methodologies
* Strong working knowledge of information architecture, task-flow
models, wireframing, design specifications and guidelines.
* Ability to define the architecture, navigation, user flows,
experiences and information/interaction designs that effectively and
directly solves customer needs.
Technology Skills & Experience
* Ability to incorporate innovative technologies to drive business
* Ability to work with programmers to make the highly conceptual
* Software development experience
* Expert-level knowledge of graphic design tools such as Adobe
Photoshop and Illustrator
* Advanced knowledge using tools such as Flash, Director and/or
AfterEffects for developing visual prototypes
* Experience with WPF/AIR/FLEX/Expression Studio/Linux a plus
* Knowledge of sound design and production, motion graphics,
photography and non-linear video editing is a plus.
Team Leadership and Cross-function Influence
* Ability to effectively drive or facilitate the efforts of
multi-disciplinary teams in generating and selecting optimum design
* Ability to synthesize customer insights, insights from design
and other colleagues, and management objectives and to translate them
into actionable design requirements
* Ability to quickly grasp and distill highly complex situations
in a very fast-paced environment and balance between conceptual design
and technical execution
* Ability to contribute to developing the HP brand by executing
user interface design consistently and driving customer experience
through product experience
Winning Personality Attributes
* Have a passion for simple, usable UI design in conjunction with
a strong belief that form follows function.
* An entrepreneurial spirit
* A natural diplomat with strong communication and organizational
* A degree in visual/interaction design or equivalent professional
* Minimum 6 years experience in a visual or user experience design
To apply, please send your resume and work samples to nlim at ritasue.com
and please put IxDA #4112 in the subject line.