Expense and income tracking apps?

29 May 2008 - 4:05pm
6 years ago
14 replies
1824 reads
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

Dear fellow consultants ...

Anyone seen a good web app lately for tracking expenses and income?
Something wickedly simple, preferably with a mobile / iPhone UI as
well?

Cheers!

-r-

Comments

29 May 2008 - 8:23pm
Michele Marut
2005

Robert,

You might want to check out the mobile app from
https://www.clearcheckbook.com/. It works on the iphone and ipod
touch.I haven't used it but I used a demo of the on-line tool.

- Michele

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=29586

29 May 2008 - 8:27pm
prince arora
2008

You can also use www.mint.com, it is one of the best money management tool
around in terms of interface/simplicity and works with iPhone as well.

Prince Arora
www.usabilitymagazine.com
www.duxjobs.com

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr <robert at rhjr.net> wrote:

> Dear fellow consultants ...
>
> Anyone seen a good web app lately for tracking expenses and income?
> Something wickedly simple, preferably with a mobile / iPhone UI as
> well?
>
> Cheers!
>
> -r-
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
Prince Arora

http://www.UsabilityMagazine.com

30 May 2008 - 4:50am
Andre Charland
2008

Hi Robert,

I'm liking www.Freshbooks.com for invoicing and expenses I use Havest
for time tracking because of the nice Mac and PC widgets:)

Ciao,

Andre.

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Prince Arora <princearora at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can also use www.mint.com, it is one of the best money management tool
> around in terms of interface/simplicity and works with iPhone as well.
>
> Prince Arora
> www.usabilitymagazine.com
> www.duxjobs.com
>
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr <robert at rhjr.net> wrote:
>
>> Dear fellow consultants ...
>>
>> Anyone seen a good web app lately for tracking expenses and income?
>> Something wickedly simple, preferably with a mobile / iPhone UI as
>> well?
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> -r-
>> ________________________________________________________________
>> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
>> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
>> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
>> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
>> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Prince Arora
>
> http://www.UsabilityMagazine.com
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
André Charland
President and Co-Founder, Nitobi
e. andre.charland at gmail.com
skype. ebadre
b. http://blogs.nitobi.com/andre
w. http://www.nitobi.com

30 May 2008 - 12:17pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

>
> You can also use www.mint.com, it is one of the best money management tool
> around in terms of interface/simplicity and works with iPhone as well.
>

$30 just to sign up and find out if it's worth using. Talk about a signup
barrier!

Can you plug in current balances so they auto-adjust based on your expenses?

-r-

30 May 2008 - 12:23pm
Dan Zlotnikov
2004

I use wesabe.com and am very happy with it.

Dan

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr <robert at rhjr.net> wrote:

> >
> > You can also use www.mint.com, it is one of the best money management
> tool
> > around in terms of interface/simplicity and works with iPhone as well.
> >
>
> $30 just to sign up and find out if it's worth using. Talk about a signup
> barrier!
>
> Can you plug in current balances so they auto-adjust based on your
> expenses?
>
> -r-
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
Dan Zlotnikov
Phone: (276) 236-0431
Fax: (276) 236-4955

30 May 2008 - 1:08pm
prince arora
2008

$30 for sign up? Mint.com is free to use.

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr <robert at rhjr.net> wrote:

> You can also use www.mint.com, it is one of the best money management tool
>> around in terms of interface/simplicity and works with iPhone as well.
>>
>
> $30 just to sign up and find out if it's worth using. Talk about a signup
> barrier!
>
> Can you plug in current balances so they auto-adjust based on your
> expenses?
>
> -r-
>

--
Prince Arora

http://www.UsabilityMagazine.com

30 May 2008 - 4:53pm
Michele Marut
2005

ClearCheckbook.com is free as well.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=29586

30 May 2008 - 5:01pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

>
> ClearCheckbook.com is free as well.
>

Thanks, everyone.

I think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist. Some of these apps
require link-ups to my bank, which none of them have listed and can't
promise support for. And so far, none of them lets me plug in current
balances, pending income, and expenses (recurring and occasional, like
PearBudget does). These are my requirements, and apparently, the app that
does this is a giant purple squirrel.

Thank anyway. Cheers!

-r-

3 Jun 2008 - 12:22pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

And the winner is ...
http://pulseapp.com/

It's squeaky clean, does exactly what I needed, is free (but shouldn't be),
imports projects and clients from Basecamp so no duplicate work is required,
and is probably the best app I've used in months.

Major kudos to Clear Function (the designers).

-r-

3 Jun 2008 - 1:46pm
Jeffrey D. Gimzek
2007

sorry, i thought mint was free... where is this $30 request ?

On May 30, 2008, at 10:17 AM, Robert Hoekman Jr wrote:

>>
>> You can also use www.mint.com, it is one of the best money
>> management tool
>> around in terms of interface/simplicity and works with iPhone as
>> well.
>>
>
> $30 just to sign up and find out if it's worth using. Talk about a
> signup
> barrier!
>
> Can you plug in current balances so they auto-adjust based on your
> expenses?
>
> -r-

3 Jun 2008 - 1:54pm
Cindy Alvarez
2004

Mint is definitely free. They use my company (Yodlee)'s technology but
they've built a much better skin on top.

Cindy

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Jeff Gimzek <listserv at jdgimzek.com> wrote:

> sorry, i thought mint was free... where is this $30 request ?
>
> On May 30, 2008, at 10:17 AM, Robert Hoekman Jr wrote:
>
>
>>> You can also use www.mint.com, it is one of the best money management
>>> tool
>>> around in terms of interface/simplicity and works with iPhone as well.
>>>
>>>
>> $30 just to sign up and find out if it's worth using. Talk about a signup
>> barrier!
>>
>> Can you plug in current balances so they auto-adjust based on your
>> expenses?
>>
>> -r-
>>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

6 Jun 2008 - 2:55pm
benry
2008

I'd suggest Pulse: http://pulseapp.com/

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=29586

9 Jun 2008 - 2:29pm
John Reeve
2008

Also check out Intervals: http://www.myintervals.com/

Intervals does handle expense and income, but is more inclined toward
time tracking and task management. Might be a good fit.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=29586

11 Jun 2008 - 4:05am
Nachtjaeger
2008

In addition, while TSheets.com does not directly handle expense and
income, it IS perfectly tailored as a mobile app., and can be used as
a Time Tracking Tool

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=29586

Syndicate content Get the feed