JOB: Assoc User Experience / Interation Designer at Whirlpool -- Michigan -- Full-Time
7 May 2008 - 8:59am
POSITION: Associate User Experience / Interaction Designer
COMPANY: Whirlpool Corporation
LOCATION: Benton Harbor, MI (90 miles east of Chicago)
An outstanding career opportunity exists at Whirlpool Corporation in
the Global Consumer Design organization. An Associate User
Experience/Interaction Designer is responsible for creating the
customer experience for the next generation of home appliances. They
will support efforts to understand emerging trends, seek out real-life
insights, conceive user interface design solutions, and assure
uncompromising usability. The work environment fosters a culture of
curiosity, creativity, diversity, craftsmanship, innovative
problem-solving, and cross-cultural cross-disciplinary collaboration.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create user interaction designs for Whirlpool home appliance
products and services that stand out in the marketplace.
- Develop, conduct, and analyze usability studies; providing input and
actionable recommendations to fellow designers at all stages of
- Model user-centered design principles within the product development
- Collaborate with other human factors, interaction design, and
usability specialists in nurturing a world-class organization.
- Collaborate with brand studios and strategic partners to define
roadmaps for user experience design and technology application.
- Model Whirlpool core values of respect, integrity, diversity, and teamwork.
- Portfolio of user interaction design work with experience in product
design and user interface design of consumer electronics.
- Skill in applying user-centered design practices, e.g., ethnography,
user needs analysis, participatory design, and usability testing.
- Skill in creating information architecture and prototyping user
interface designs using popular interaction design tools.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Graduate degree in Human Factors, Interaction Design, Psychology, or
a related discipline preferred.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Whirlpool Corporation is the global leader in design and manufacturing
of major home appliances. Annual sales exceed $19B. Whirlpool employs
80,000 people in more than 60 manufacturing and technology research
centers worldwide. The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchen Aid,
Jenn-Air, Amana, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Gladiator, and other major brand
names to consumers in nearly every country.
Benton Harbor and its twin city St. Joseph are situated in Michigan's
great southwest along the sandy shores of Lake Michigan. The region
boasts unique shopping, quaint cafes, fine dining, art galleries,
festivals, and beautiful views of the lake. The bucolic countryside of
wine vineyards, orchards, beaches, and forests offers cyclists,
campers, golfers, swimmers, skiers, and snowmobilers outdoor enjoyment
in all seasons. Many of the area schools are ranked at the top for
state testing scores. Residents also enjoy the museums, sports,
shopping, and nightlife of nearby Chicago.