JOB: Lead User Experience / Interation Designer at Whirlpool -- Michigan -- Full-Time
7 May 2008 - 7:58am
POSITION: Lead User Experience / Interaction Designer
COMPANY: Whirlpool Corporation
LOCATION: Benton Harbor, MI (90 miles east of Chicago)
An outstanding career opportunity exists at Whirlpool Corporation in
the Global Consumer Design organization. A Lead User
Experience/Interaction Designer is responsible for driving the
consumer experience for the next generation of home appliances. They
will manage efforts to understand emerging trends, seek out real-life
insights, conceive user interface design solutions, and assure
uncompromising usability. The work environment fosters a culture of
curiosity, creativity, diversity, craftsmanship, innovative
problem-solving, and cross-cultural cross-disciplinary collaboration.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Drive user interaction designs for Whirlpool home appliance products
and services that stand out in the marketplace.
- Identify, develop, and improve leading-edge research and design
methodologies, processes and capabilities. Use these to lead product
development and strategic initiatives, and disseminate methodologies
- Create and execute project plans, modeling user-centered design
principles and product development processes.
- Collaborate with other human factors, interaction design, and
usability specialists in nurturing a world-class organization.
- Define roadmaps for user experience design and technology
application by collaborating with brand studios and strategic
- Manage technical responsibility for project and team resources to
deliver exceptional results on plan and schedule.
- Model Whirlpool core values of respect, integrity, diversity, and teamwork.
- Exceptional portfolio of user interaction design work with 6+ years
of experience and expertise in product design and user interface
design of consumer electronics.
- Highly skilled in applying user-centered design practices, e.g.,
ethnography, user needs analysis, participatory design, and usability
- Highly skilled in creating information architecture and prototyping
user interface designs using popular interaction design tools.
- Experience successfully executing interaction design projects in
accordance with phases and gates product development processes.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Graduate degree in Human Factors, Interaction Design, Psychology, or
a related discipline preferred.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Whirlpool Corporation is the global leader in design and manufacturing
of major home appliances. Annual sales exceed $19B. Whirlpool employs
80,000 people in more than 60 manufacturing and technology research
centers worldwide. The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchen Aid,
Jenn-Air, Amana, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Gladiator, and other major brand
names to consumers in nearly every country.
Benton Harbor and its twin city St. Joseph are situated in Michigan's
great southwest along the sandy shores of Lake Michigan. The region
boasts unique shopping, quaint cafes, fine dining, art galleries,
festivals, and beautiful views of the lake. The bucolic countryside of
wine vineyards, orchards, beaches, and forests offers cyclists,
campers, golfers, swimmers, skiers, and snowmobilers outdoor enjoyment
in all seasons. Many of the area schools are ranked at the top for
state testing scores. Residents also enjoy the museums, sports,
shopping, and nightlife of nearby Chicago.