Design and Design Research Book: "Design Research Now"
24 Apr 2008 - 6:48pm
New Book on Design and Design Research.
Michel, R. (Ed.) (2007). Design research now: Essays and selected
projects. Basel: Birkhauser.
There has been a lot of debate on this forum about the meaning of
design, design thinking, and design research. The book referenced
above has a set of essays that examine the relationship between design
and design research. The book examines the semantics of the word
"design" and the evolution of design as a science and discipline.
Design is examined from the perspectives of architects, visual
designers, industrial designers, and engineers. Some of the chapters
in this book are:
1. The uneasy relationship between design and design research.
2. From a design science to a design discipline: Understanding
designerly ways of knowing and thinking.
3. Design research: An oxymoron.
4. Doing design as part of doing research.
5. Design research and its meaning to the methodological development
of the discipline.
6. Design as practice, science, and research.
The book isn't an easy read, but it is a fascinating read that
deconstructs the concept of design and explores the meaning and
usefulness of design research.