My company is currently looking into tools to manage use cases and
Since these terms can mean a wide variety of things I'll give an example of
how we're using them:
*Requirement:* The product should be secure and protect the safety and
privacy of the user.
*Use Case:* The user logs on to the system.
*Sub-use case/scenario:* The user has mistyped their password while logging
*Associated features: *Login screen, password security feedback, lost
password functionality, error feedback system.
*Associated users/actors: *Child, parent, administrator
We are developing a large number of these and there is a need to have them
organized and be able to analyze them.
- Some degree of flexibility of entering different "levels of
specificity" of requirements and use-cases.
- Ability to link all types of objects (requirements, use cases,
sub-use-cases, features, users) with each other
- Ability to look for unlinked items so as not to lose them
- Ability to automatically generate charts/graphs of use-cases to
graphically show task flows
- We don't want an "all in one" solution that tries to do defect/bug
tracking, project management, business process management, etc. (we already
have other tools that do these things)
- We don't want a tool that prescribes a work process to us (we
already have our work processes and we need this to fit into what we have)
- While this is something we could invest a lot in, many of these
tools seem rediculously expensive for a tool that isn't really very complex.
We are currently leaning toward gatherspace.com for this reason.
*Have any of you used any of these tools or any others (there are many new
products in this area) that you would recommend?*
Jeff Axup, Ph.D.
Principal Consultant, Mobile Community Design Consulting, San Diego