Why beauty matters to IxD (a blog compilation)

26 Mar 2008 - 4:30pm
6 years ago
3 replies
598 reads
Uday Gajendar
2007

Awhile back a question was put to the ixda list: does aesthetics/
beauty matter to IxD?

I've finally compiled on my blog some key thoughts on this, which date
back to 2001 while writing my graduate thesis at CMU about beauty as
an experiential value of user-product interactions (and iterated in
various papers/talks I've given at IDSA, IA Summit, and most recently
last fall's World Design Congress in SF).

I hope ixda readers find this compilation thought-provoking and
useful...

Introductory post:
http://www.ghostinthepixel.com/?p=107

Some interpretations of beauty for user experience:
http://www.ghostinthepixel.com/?p=111

An integrative aesthetic experience:
http://www.ghostinthepixel.com/?p=110

(more will be published about this last topic in an upcoming issue of
Interactions ;-)

Enjoy,

Uday Gajendar
Sr. Interaction Designer
Voice Technology Group
Cisco | San Jose
------------------------------
ugajenda at cisco.com
+1 408 902 2137

Comments

26 Mar 2008 - 9:57pm
Scott McDaniel
2007

This is really splendid.
"Designers have a profound responsibility to ensure that designed
interactions contribute positively to our personal and collective
sense of being human. "
Illustrates everything about why I wanted to move away from merely
coding to actually engaging people.

I'll be reading this with great interest!

Sincerely,
Scott

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Uday Gajendar <ugajenda at cisco.com> wrote:
> Awhile back a question was put to the ixda list: does aesthetics/
> beauty matter to IxD?
>
> I've finally compiled on my blog some key thoughts on this, which date
> back to 2001 while writing my graduate thesis at CMU about beauty as
> an experiential value of user-product interactions (and iterated in
> various papers/talks I've given at IDSA, IA Summit, and most recently
> last fall's World Design Congress in SF).
>
> I hope ixda readers find this compilation thought-provoking and
> useful...
>
>
> Introductory post:
> http://www.ghostinthepixel.com/?p=107
>
>
> Some interpretations of beauty for user experience:
> http://www.ghostinthepixel.com/?p=111
>
>
> An integrative aesthetic experience:
> http://www.ghostinthepixel.com/?p=110
>
> (more will be published about this last topic in an upcoming issue of
> Interactions ;-)
>
>
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Uday Gajendar
> Sr. Interaction Designer
> Voice Technology Group
> Cisco | San Jose
> ------------------------------
> ugajenda at cisco.com
> +1 408 902 2137
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
'Life' plus 'significance' = magic. ~ Grant Morrison

27 Mar 2008 - 1:27am
Dave Malouf
2005

Uday, I have to admit I struggled with the overly academic nature of
the 1st pieces. But when I got to part 3, I was blown away. Your
quarter of story, performance, utility and style are so on target, I
wanted to yell hurray!!!!

Thank you for sharing. I hope others skip back to the top of the
thread and give all the articles a read.

-- dave

ps, I saw your "David Malouf Reader" ... nice.
No schooling. I'm self taught. It's interesting that you feel
forced to characterize designers by their schooling, so many of us in
IxD have no formal training in it or other design. I'm an
anthropologist (BA UC Berkeley) and while it aids me in my ability to
think about the etic, I don't really see it as a fundamental
influencer. My mentors past and present have been much more powerful.
I wish I could have a degree that lists them all and what they
contributed to my education. That would be cool.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=27633

27 Mar 2008 - 3:58pm
Uday Gajendar
2007

> Uday, I have to admit I struggled with the overly academic nature of
> the 1st pieces. But when I got to part 3, I was blown away. Your
> quarter of story, performance, utility and style are so on target, I
> wanted to yell hurray!!!!

Wow, thanks Dave!! Glad you found the third part inspiring :-) The
other material is a bit heavy for some...and that's the "reduced"
version from the original 40 page thesis! hehe.

> No schooling. I'm self taught. It's interesting that you feel
> forced to characterize designers by their schooling, so many of us in
> IxD have no formal training in it or other design. I'm an

I don't feel "forced to"... I just do it naturally :-) I am more
biased towards "design schooling" for various reasons. But I've worked
with many who have no formal degrees, self-taught like yourself, and I
learned a great deal from them, like Andrei at Involution (we even
taught a course together at SJSU), and others at Adobe, Oracle, etc.
I have great respect for those who practice good design, even if it's
learned in "the real world" at the school of hard knocks.

I just find my education path enormously influential as that's how I
met my first mentors who I feel still affect me today...as you have
just read in the articles ;-)

-uday

Syndicate content Get the feed