JOB :: User Experience Designer :: MI :: Whirlpool :: Full-Time
19 Mar 2008 - 7:07am
POSITION: Senior User Experience / Interaction Designer
COMPANY: Whirlpool Corporation
LOCATION: Benton Harbor, MI (90 miles east of Chicago)
Uncommon opportunity and challenge for an uncommon individual exists
at Whirlpool Corporation in the Global Consumer Design organization.
Total customer satisfaction drives every aspect of the work.
Creativity blossoms with an experiential design approach to
understanding emerging consumer trends, seeking out real-life insights
about user experience, conceiving user interaction design solutions,
and assuring uncompromising usability. The work environment fosters a
culture of curiosity, creativity, diversity, craftsmanship, innovative
problem-solving, and cross-cultural cross-disciplinary collaboration.
The results deliver on the promise of the Whirlpool brands. The job
description... is yours to create... with initiative, talent,
leadership, commitment, and passion.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working with inter-disciplinary teams, collaborate with brand
studios and strategic partners to define roadmaps for user experience
design and technology application.
- Develop and execute project plans, modeling user-centered design
principles and product development processes.
- Create and develop user interaction designs for Whirlpool home
appliance products and services that stand out in the marketplace.
- Evaluate usability rigorously before, during, and after product development.
- Manage technical responsibility for project resources to deliver
exceptional results on plan and schedule.
- Collaborate with other human factors, interaction design, and
usability specialists in nurturing a world-class organization.
- Model Whirlpool core values of respect, integrity, diversity, and teamwork.
- Outstanding portfolio of user interaction design work of 4+ years,
with expertise in product design, especially in user interface design
of consumer electronics.
- Skill applying user-centered design practices, e.g., ethnography,
user needs analysis, participatory design, and usability testing.
- Skill in creating and prototyping user interface designs using
popular interaction design tools.
- Strong project planning skills, including proposals, work breakdown
schedules, resource planning, and project reviews.
- Experience successfully executing interaction design projects in
accordance with phases and gates product development processes.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Graduate degree in Human Factors, Interaction Design, Psychology, or
a related discipline preferred.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Whirlpool Corporation is the global leader in design and manufacturing
of major home appliances. Annual sales exceed $19B. Whirlpool employs
80,000 people in more than 60 manufacturing and technology research
centers worldwide. The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid,
Jenn-Air, Amana, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Gladiator, and other major brand
names to consumers in nearly every country.
Benton Harbor and its twin city St. Joseph are situated in Michigan's
great southwest along the sandy shores of Lake Michigan. The region
boasts unique shopping, quaint cafes, fine dining, art galleries,
festivals, and beautiful views of the lake. The bucolic countryside of
wine vineyards, orchards, beaches, and forests offers cyclists,
campers, golfers, swimmers, skiers, and snowmobilers outdoor enjoyment
in all seasons. Many of the area schools are ranked at the top for
state testing scores. Residents also enjoy the museums, sports,
shopping, and nightlife of nearby Chicago.