[Job] User Experience Manager, mountain view, ca, Microsoft, Full Time
13 Mar 2008 - 4:59pm
Erez Kikin Gil
:: User Experience Manager for Microsoft Silicon Valley Web Communications team ::
Our Silicon Valley User Experience team is seeking a strategic, talented, and creative user experience manager who is excited about joining one of Microsoft's most truly impactful and integrated user experience teams. If you choose to join this team, you will have the opportunity to deeply impact web communication products that reach hundreds of millions of users every day. This team's day-to-day challenges include shaping the current and next generation of Windows Live Hotmail, Contacts, Calendar, Gallery, Web Messenger, and more.
As UX Manager of one of Windows Live largest products, you will be expected to influence the overall UX direction of the product and to mentor and manage an inter-disciplinary team of UX designers, researchers and writers. You should have a proven record of influencing product designs and directions based on customer needs and business directions. This includes being a leader in helping teams understand how to meet and anticipate the needs of customers, and be adept at translating business requirements and research results into both high-level and feature-level conclusions. You should have proven experience driving UX, design and/or research teams to create and execute plans in response to overall product strategy and apply your extensive repository of user information and/or design acumen to multiple product areas, versions, and releases.
You'll bring strong creative, conceptual, and problem-solving skills, plus excellent communication and presentation skills necessary to effectively present, explain, negotiate, and monitor design solutions. You'll also bring knowledge of both design and user research methods and have demonstrated ability to help your team adapt the appropriate methods to specific design questions.
You must be able to work collaboratively with lead program managers, developers, product planners, and cross-network UX peers, set high-level UX goals for your products, and work on multiple interrelated projects to completion on schedule. You must be able to assess data from multiple sources, synthesize it, and develop strategies for your projects.
Your key leadership skills include the ability to set UX vision and priorities for web communications, to negotiate with partners within and cross-groups to ensure success, support current products while working on the next product versions, and make smart choices involving competing priorities, schedules, and budgets.
Sample responsibilities include:
* Developing a work plan and resource strategy for web communications with product team leaders to understand design and research needs, as well as opportunity
* Managing and leading a high caliber UX team (including managing managers) to drive product goals and priorities around user experience throughout the product cycle and to execute accordingly
* Lead the strategic UX direction of web communications projects end-to-end, collaborating with leadership to drive vision, giving regular insights and feedback on both the business plan, technology plan, and the UX work, and ensuring pre-development vision is executed.
* Regularly provide design, research, and writing feedback to the team.
* Hiring, managing, and mentoring talented full-time UX designers, researchers, and writers
* Together with your leads, managing budget and resources.
* Collaborating with broader Windows Live UX and product teams to share work and influence directions of entire releases.
* Proven ability to drive results across multi-disciplinary groups including engineering, design, user research, marketing, planning and business strategy
* Excellent management skills to provide leadership and mentoring career growth for designers, researchers, and writers
* Strong communication, organization and leadership skills to work collaboratively
* Passion for customer focused innovation
* 5 + years industry experience driving UX, design and/or research for consumer products
* Hands-on experience executing design and/or research for complex products and projects
* Bachelors or Master's degree in design or research related field including interaction design, industrial design, graphic design, HCI, cognitive psychology, experimental psychology, human factors, library and information science, or other related field
* Familiarity with Microsoft and competitors products and websites, and other industry standards/trends.
* Experience managing multi-disciplinary UX teams (design, research, writing)