The ONE Book!

5 Feb 2008 - 1:48am
6 years ago
23 replies
693 reads
Pankaj Chawla
2008

Hi

Which is that one book on Design/UX/IxD/Usability/etc etc that you
will like to gift to your engineering folks in management as a new
year gift that will make them understand its need and value. On
similar lines which is that one book that you will like to gift the
hands-on engineering folks to make them understand that thinking about
user needs is equally important as thinking about the algorithms.

Mind you only one book for each that will create the maximum impact on
their thought process :-)

Cheers
Pankaj

Comments

5 Feb 2008 - 8:44am
Anonymous

I think I'd go with these:

For the management: Jesse James Garrett's "The Elements of User Experience".

For the coal-face guys: Steve Krug's "Don't Make Me Think".

5 Feb 2008 - 8:51am
White, Jeff
2007

I had one of the engineering teams I work with read parts of The
Inmates are Running the Asylum. I risked being physically assaulted,
but it worked really well. :-)

Jeff

On Feb 5, 2008 1:48 AM, Pankaj Chawla <pankaj013 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Which is that one book on Design/UX/IxD/Usability/etc etc that you
> will like to gift to your engineering folks in management as a new
> year gift that will make them understand its need and value. On
> similar lines which is that one book that you will like to gift the
> hands-on engineering folks to make them understand that thinking about
> user needs is equally important as thinking about the algorithms.
>
> Mind you only one book for each that will create the maximum impact on
> their thought process :-)
>
> Cheers
> Pankaj
> ________________________________________________________________
> *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

5 Feb 2008 - 9:31am
subimage interactive
2004

+1 for Inmates.

On Feb 5, 2008 5:51 AM, Jeff White <jwhite31 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had one of the engineering teams I work with read parts of The
> Inmates are Running the Asylum. I risked being physically assaulted,
> but it worked really well. :-)
>
> Jeff
>
> On Feb 5, 2008 1:48 AM, Pankaj Chawla <pankaj013 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Which is that one book on Design/UX/IxD/Usability/etc etc that you
> > will like to gift to your engineering folks in management as a new
> > year gift that will make them understand its need and value. On
> > similar lines which is that one book that you will like to gift the
> > hands-on engineering folks to make them understand that thinking about
> > user needs is equally important as thinking about the algorithms.
> >
> > Mind you only one book for each that will create the maximum impact on
> > their thought process :-)
> >
> > Cheers
> > Pankaj
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> > February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> > Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> > List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> > List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
> >
> ________________________________________________________________
> *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
--------------------
seth at subimage interactive
-----
http://sublog.subimage.com
-----
Cashboard - Estimates, invoices, and time tracking software - for free!
http://www.getcashboard.com
-----
Substruct - Open source RoR e-commerce software.
http://dev.subimage.com/projects/substruct

5 Feb 2008 - 9:44am
Dante Murphy
2006

The one book I would give *everybody* is Dan Brown's "Communicating
Design". By describing clearly and dispassionately how all teams should
work together, not only is the value implicitly stated but the dynamics
are optimized.

Dante Murphy | Director of Information Architecture | D I G I T A S H E
A L T H
229 South 18th Street | Rittenhouse Square | Philadelphia, PA 19103 |
USA
Email: dmurphy at digitashealth.com
www.digitashealth.com
-----Original Message-----

Hi

Which is that one book on Design/UX/IxD/Usability/etc etc that you
will like to gift to your engineering folks in management as a new
year gift that will make them understand its need and value. On
similar lines which is that one book that you will like to gift the
hands-on engineering folks to make them understand that thinking about
user needs is equally important as thinking about the algorithms.

5 Feb 2008 - 9:44am
Chauncey Wilson
2007

I've always felt that the title and content of this book was demeaning
to both engineers and people with mental illness; it is probably a
good example of the Fundamental Attribution Error which I think has
been an issue in the UX/Usability realm for some time and made
communication with engineering groups more difficult because of a
focus on personality rather than on goals.

I would probably nominate: Designing from Both Sides of the Screen:
How Designers and Engineers Can Collaborate to Build Cooperative
Technology (Paperback) by Ellen Isaacs (Author), Alan Walendowski
(Author) though it is out of print now.

Chauncey

On Feb 5, 2008 9:31 AM, subimage interactive <subimage at gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 for Inmates.
>
>
> On Feb 5, 2008 5:51 AM, Jeff White <jwhite31 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I had one of the engineering teams I work with read parts of The
> > Inmates are Running the Asylum. I risked being physically assaulted,
> > but it worked really well. :-)
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> > On Feb 5, 2008 1:48 AM, Pankaj Chawla <pankaj013 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Which is that one book on Design/UX/IxD/Usability/etc etc that you
> > > will like to gift to your engineering folks in management as a new
> > > year gift that will make them understand its need and value. On
> > > similar lines which is that one book that you will like to gift the
> > > hands-on engineering folks to make them understand that thinking about
> > > user needs is equally important as thinking about the algorithms.
> > >
> > > Mind you only one book for each that will create the maximum impact on
> > > their thought process :-)
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Pankaj
> > > ________________________________________________________________
> > > *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> > > February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> > > Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
> > >
> > > ________________________________________________________________
> > > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > > Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> > > List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> > > List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
> > >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> > February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> > Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> > List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> > List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
> >
>
>
>
> --
> --------------------
> seth at subimage interactive
> -----
> http://sublog.subimage.com
> -----
> Cashboard - Estimates, invoices, and time tracking software - for free!
> http://www.getcashboard.com
> -----
> Substruct - Open source RoR e-commerce software.
> http://dev.subimage.com/projects/substruct
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

5 Feb 2008 - 9:45am
Peter Merholz
2004

<self-promotion>
Why, _SUBJECT TO CHANGE: Creating Great Products & Services for an
Uncertain World_, by me and a few colleagues at Adaptive Path. It's
written for executives and technologists to help them understand the
contribution that user research, design, and systems thinking offers.
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0596516835/adaptivepat07-20/ref=nosim/
</self-promotion>

If not our book, my One Book is probably still THE DESIGN OF EVERYDAY
THINGS.
--peter

On Feb 4, 2008, at 10:48 PM, Pankaj Chawla wrote:

> Hi
>
> Which is that one book on Design/UX/IxD/Usability/etc etc that you
> will like to gift to your engineering folks in management as a new
> year gift that will make them understand its need and value. On
> similar lines which is that one book that you will like to gift the
> hands-on engineering folks to make them understand that thinking about
> user needs is equally important as thinking about the algorithms.
>
> Mind you only one book for each that will create the maximum impact on
> their thought process :-)
>
> Cheers
> Pankaj
> ________________________________________________________________
> *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help

5 Feb 2008 - 10:07am
subimage interactive
2004

Looks like an interesting book...Wishlisted (did I just invent a new verb?)
on my Amazon page...

On Feb 5, 2008 6:45 AM, Peter Merholz <peterme at peterme.com> wrote:

> <self-promotion>
> Why, _SUBJECT TO CHANGE: Creating Great Products & Services for an
> Uncertain World_, by me and a few colleagues at Adaptive Path. It's
> written for executives and technologists to help them understand the
> contribution that user research, design, and systems thinking offers.
> http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0596516835/adaptivepat07-20/ref=nosim/
> </self-promotion>
>
> If not our book, my One Book is probably still THE DESIGN OF EVERYDAY
> THINGS.
> --peter
>
> On Feb 4, 2008, at 10:48 PM, Pankaj Chawla wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Which is that one book on Design/UX/IxD/Usability/etc etc that you
> > will like to gift to your engineering folks in management as a new
> > year gift that will make them understand its need and value. On
> > similar lines which is that one book that you will like to gift the
> > hands-on engineering folks to make them understand that thinking about
> > user needs is equally important as thinking about the algorithms.
> >
> > Mind you only one book for each that will create the maximum impact on
> > their thought process :-)
> >
> > Cheers
> > Pankaj
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> > February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> > Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> > List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> > List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
--------------------
seth at subimage interactive
-----
http://sublog.subimage.com
-----
Cashboard - Estimates, invoices, and time tracking software - for free!
http://www.getcashboard.com
-----
Substruct - Open source RoR e-commerce software.
http://dev.subimage.com/projects/substruct

5 Feb 2008 - 10:16am
SemanticWill
2007

The toughest thing about Pankaj's question is that he forces me to choose
just one per group - managers and line engineers. As many of you know - my
UX/IxD/IA library darn near competely fills my home office - and it's kinda
of sad in a geeky way.
For engineers - a fun, funny book that at least argues for UCD to the
engineer who doesn't know what it is - David Platt's "Why Software Sucks."

Because I am re-reading it right now - I think the most eloquent - to the
point of poetic - articulation of interaction design (IxD) is Jon Kolko's
book "Thoughts on Interaction Design," -- just the first chapter is worth
the price of admission. I was almost brought to tears reading it - I kid you
not - this is the Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet," manifesto for interaction
designers. If you haven't bought and read this gem - go now, young lads and
order it.

- Will

On Feb 5, 2008 10:07 AM, subimage interactive <subimage at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like an interesting book...Wishlisted (did I just invent a new
> verb?)
> on my Amazon page...
>
> On Feb 5, 2008 6:45 AM, Peter Merholz <peterme at peterme.com> wrote:
>
> > <self-promotion>
> > Why, _SUBJECT TO CHANGE: Creating Great Products & Services for an
> > Uncertain World_, by me and a few colleagues at Adaptive Path. It's
> > written for executives and technologists to help them understand the
> > contribution that user research, design, and systems thinking offers.
> > http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0596516835/adaptivepat07-20/ref=nosim/
> > </self-promotion>
> >
> > If not our book, my One Book is probably still THE DESIGN OF EVERYDAY
> > THINGS.
> > --peter
> >
> > On Feb 4, 2008, at 10:48 PM, Pankaj Chawla wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Which is that one book on Design/UX/IxD/Usability/etc etc that you
> > > will like to gift to your engineering folks in management as a new
> > > year gift that will make them understand its need and value. On
> > > similar lines which is that one book that you will like to gift the
> > > hands-on engineering folks to make them understand that thinking about
> > > user needs is equally important as thinking about the algorithms.
> > >
> > > Mind you only one book for each that will create the maximum impact on
> > > their thought process :-)
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Pankaj
> > > ________________________________________________________________
> > > *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> > > February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> > > Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
> > >
> > > ________________________________________________________________
> > > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > > Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> > > List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> > > List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> > February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> > Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> > List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> > List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
> >
>
>
>
> --
> --------------------
> seth at subimage interactive
> -----
> http://sublog.subimage.com
> -----
> Cashboard - Estimates, invoices, and time tracking software - for free!
> http://www.getcashboard.com
> -----
> Substruct - Open source RoR e-commerce software.
> http://dev.subimage.com/projects/substruct
> ________________________________________________________________
> *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
~ will

"No matter how beautiful,
no matter how cool your interface,
it would be better if there were less of it."
Alan Cooper
-
"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"
-------------------------------------------------------
will evans
user experience architect
wkevans4 at gmail.com
-------------------------------------------------------

5 Feb 2008 - 10:31am
Pankaj Chawla
2008

On 2/5/08, W Evans <wkevans4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The toughest thing about Pankaj's question is that he forces me to choose
> just one per group - managers and line engineers. As many of you know - my
> UX/IxD/IA library darn near competely fills my home office - and it's kinda
> of sad in a geeky way.

I would love to spend all my life in your library reading every single
book on the shelf. I wish people would pay me for just reading the
books and sharing that knowledge ;-). My problem is that the
Managers/Engineers arent even going to be happy reading the ONE book,
forget about a library full :-). But one thing I can promise is that I
will try and read every single book that gets recommended here in case
I havent read it already (chances are I wont have because getting the
books here in India itself is big problem and my only supply of books
is guys travelling to US and obliging by bringing in one at a time
:-))

Cheers
Pankaj

5 Feb 2008 - 10:43am
Dan Brown
2004

Pankaj,
So, if you're going to struggle to get them to read one book, why select a
book at all? Are there other approaches you've tried to get them to see the
value of interaction design?

One thing you might try (before dropping some rupees on any of these books)
is making one small change on your next project. Don't try to do all of UCD.
Don't stop their current process, or add days of user research. Make one
small change -- maybe throw in an annotated wireframe, or take half a day to
do a user summary. If that change has a positive effect, they might let you
make another change. And then another.

Ultimately, if you do something to make their jobs easier, they'll want you
back. And they're just not going to get that from a book.

-- Dan

On Feb 5, 2008 10:31 AM, Pankaj Chawla <pankaj013 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/5/08, W Evans <wkevans4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The toughest thing about Pankaj's question is that he forces me to
> choose
> > just one per group - managers and line engineers. As many of you know -
> my
> > UX/IxD/IA library darn near competely fills my home office - and it's
> kinda
> > of sad in a geeky way.
>
> I would love to spend all my life in your library reading every single
> book on the shelf. I wish people would pay me for just reading the
> books and sharing that knowledge ;-). My problem is that the
> Managers/Engineers arent even going to be happy reading the ONE book,
> forget about a library full :-). But one thing I can promise is that I
> will try and read every single book that gets recommended here in case
> I havent read it already (chances are I wont have because getting the
> books here in India itself is big problem and my only supply of books
> is guys travelling to US and obliging by bringing in one at a time
> :-))
>
> Cheers
> Pankaj
> ________________________________________________________________
> *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
| work: eightshapes.com
| book: communicatingdesign.com
| blog: greenonions.com
| talk: +1 (301) 801-4850

5 Feb 2008 - 10:58am
Pankaj Chawla
2008

On 2/5/08, Dan Brown <brownorama at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pankaj,
> So, if you're going to struggle to get them to read one book, why select a
> book at all? Are there other approaches you've tried to get them to see the
> value of interaction design?
>
> One thing you might try (before dropping some rupees on any of these books)
> is making one small change on your next project. Don't try to do all of UCD.
> Don't stop their current process, or add days of user research. Make one
> small change -- maybe throw in an annotated wireframe, or take half a day to
> do a user summary. If that change has a positive effect, they might let you
> make another change. And then another.

Well, I was talking figuratively ;-) when I said it wont be possible
to get them to read it. In any case its not my intention to go and
gift everyone a copy of the book - with 5500 employees every single
one of them being hardcore techie, and more than 25% of them in the
decision making role it will never be easy. To top it I work for a
company that is purely in B2B enterprise software development space
and UI is equated to "adding buttons on the form". I though have been
working against the tide (though helped by the extreme customer
feedback on the sloppy interfaces we have been giving) and over the
period of last 2 years I have been able to go one step at a time and
finally get a few people up in the ladder to see value in all that I
have been trying to do. The idea is to get these converted people to
read a book that will make them the change ambassadors for future and
help my cause.

Cheers
Pankaj

5 Feb 2008 - 11:16am
Jeff Seager
2007

Dan said: "Ultimately, if you do something to make their jobs easier,
they'll want you back. And they're just not going to get that from a
book."

... just like any *other* user!

Amen, Dan. Wouldn't it be interesting to apply the same principles
to our peers _as users_ as we want to do for users? I think
demonstrating a benefit is always better than talking about it, and
we're all ultimately on the same side when the benefits of our
processes are made clear.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=25549

5 Feb 2008 - 11:23am
Dan Brown
2004

Jeff,
Funny you mention that... [shameless plug follows]

My partner, Nathan, will be speaking at the IA Summit about this very topic,
especially how it relates to documentation. You can see his abstract here:

http://www.iasummit.org/proceedings/2008/audiences_artifacts

-- Dan, the shameless face of EightShapes

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:16:15, Jeff Seager <abrojos at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dan said: "Ultimately, if you do something to make their jobs easier,
> they'll want you back. And they're just not going to get that from a
> book."
>
> ... just like any *other* user!
>
> Amen, Dan. Wouldn't it be interesting to apply the same principles
> to our peers _as users_ as we want to do for users? I think
> demonstrating a benefit is always better than talking about it, and
> we're all ultimately on the same side when the benefits of our
> processes are made clear.
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=25549
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> *Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
> February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
> Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
| work: eightshapes.com
| book: communicatingdesign.com
| blog: greenonions.com
| talk: +1 (301) 801-4850

5 Feb 2008 - 2:00pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

> On similar lines which is that one book that you will like to gift the
> hands-on engineering folks to make them understand that thinking about
> user needs is equally important as thinking about the algorithms.

Mine <http://www.rhjr.net/dto> ;)

Of course, this is an awfully shameless plug, but my reviews support my
shame. A number of people have said it should be "required reading" for
developers (for which I'm eternally grateful).

-r-

5 Feb 2008 - 2:01pm
Fred Beecher
2006

On 2/5/08, Pankaj Chawla <pankaj013 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Which is that one book on Design/UX/IxD/Usability/etc etc that you
> will like to gift to your engineering folks in management as a new
> year gift that will make them understand its need and value.

"Don't Make Me Think" most likely... of the lot, it seems to be the best at
introducing the subject to those who aren't passionate about it.

Don Norman's "Everyday Things" would be a close second though... that book
is like a brain virus. You can't stop paying attention to light switches and
door handles.

F.

5 Feb 2008 - 2:56pm
Andrei Herasimchuk
2004

Not one book, but the three books that have made the largest impact
on me in my work have been:

Designing for People, Henry Dreyfuss
A Designer's Art, Paul Rand
Envisioning Information, Edward Tufte

Both the pragmatic definitions of craft and idealistic views on the
world of design from those three books has made the largest impact on
my work as an interface designer. Each has something different to
contribute, all three are timeless and entirely relevant to the
profession imho.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios
innovating the digital world

e. andrei at involutionstudios.com
c. +1 408 306 6422

5 Feb 2008 - 9:29pm
Kenny Kutney
2008

For me, that's always Steve Krug's "Don't Make Me Think!".

Works great for both audiences. And, less filling.

- kenny

On Feb 5, 2008, at 1:48 AM, Pankaj Chawla wrote:

> Which is that one book on Design/UX/IxD/Usability/etc etc that you
> will like to gift to your engineering folks in management as a new
> year gift that will make them understand its need and value. On
> similar lines which is that one book that you will like to gift the
> hands-on engineering folks to make them understand that thinking about
> user needs is equally important as thinking about the algorithms.
>
> Mind you only one book for each that will create the maximum impact on
> their thought process :-)
>

--
kenny kutney
kennykutney at mac.com

5 Feb 2008 - 11:28pm
Jennifer Vignone
2008

Death March

While not about design per se, it is a book about scope creep,
project management, and when things are not treated with the proper
amount of consideration and regard (like design frequently is) and
projects end up going horribly awry...so it's about about overall
design the entire effort perhaps.

6 Feb 2008 - 1:24am
Jeff Seager
2007

With substantially less shame, I also support Robert's book. The very
first illustration (and the wry comment accompanying it) was worth
every penny I paid. The rest of the book is pretty good, too.

I get an error message occasionally in Dreamweaver that always makes
me wonder what the engineers were thinking when they programmed it.
It says simply, "No error has occurred."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=25549

6 Feb 2008 - 9:31am
samin
2008

Hi Pankaj,

I'd suggest The Universal Principles of Design by William Lidwell,
Kristina Holden & Jill Butler.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Principles-Design-William-Lidwell/dp/1592530079

Not an technical or IxD book per se, but still manages to wrestle a
whole bunch of design issues & principles in very understandable and
friendly way. I guarantee it will make your folks think things in a
different light. Then you can get them the more tech/UX-heavier books
for next christmas :)

cheers,
sami

--
Sami Niemelä

sami.niemela at gmail.com
+358 50 528 9265

6 Feb 2008 - 10:41am
Adrian Howard
2005

On 5 Feb 2008, at 19:01, Fred Beecher wrote:
[snip]
> "Don't Make Me Think" most likely... of the lot, it seems to be the
> best at
> introducing the subject to those who aren't passionate about it.
>
> Don Norman's "Everyday Things" would be a close second though...
> that book
> is like a brain virus. You can't stop paying attention to light
> switches and
> door handles.
[snip]

Those were the first two that came to my mind as general good
choices. I'd probably stick Norman's book first myself. It's a great
one for getting the mindset across, which is often the biggest problem.

While Inmates has some great stuff in it (along with a bunch of other
stuff that I fervently disagree with ;) I've seen it produce _very_
angry reactions in many folk. A dangerous choice unless you're there
to defuse it.

For certain kinds of techie something hardcore and academic often
impresses too (ohh look - it's not just artsy fartsy bloke with a
ponytail making stuff up). Something like "Interaction Design: Beyond
HumanComputer Interaction" by Sharp, Rogers & Preece.

That said... like some other folk here... I'd say a book was just
about the worst tool for convincing folk. Much better to actually do
stuff that helps and build from there in my experience.

Cheers,

Adrian

6 Feb 2008 - 7:56pm
Luis de la Orde...
2007

"The one book I would give *everybody* is Dan Brown's "Communicating
Design". By describing clearly and dispassionately how all teams should
work together, not only is the value implicitly stated but the dynamics
are optimized."

I concur :). I think Communicating Design is a great book for designers and
IAs willing to bridge gaps in communication.

Luis

8 Feb 2008 - 4:23pm
Leah Cunningham
2006

I have Alan Cooper's About Face 2.0 - Are there enough differences
between that and About Face 3 for me to buy it?

________________________________________________________________
*Come to IxDA Interaction08 | Savannah*
February 8-10, 2008 in Savannah, GA, USA
Register today: http://interaction08.ixda.org/

________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help

Syndicate content Get the feed