JOB - Product Designer - Ottawa and KIngston Canada - Open Text Corporation - Full Time
24 Jan 2008 - 8:17pm
Open Text is the world's largest independent provider of Enterprise
Content Management software. The company's solutions manage information
for all types of business, compliance and industry requirements in the
world's largest companies, government agencies and professional service
firms. Open Text supports approximately 46,000 customers and millions of
users in 114 countries and 12 languages. For more information about Open
Text, visit www.opentext.com.
Purpose of Position:
Product Designers research, identify, and solve complex software design
problems in an innovative, highly collaborative environment. Product
Designers work directly with program managers, product managers,
architects and development leads to further Open Text's customer-focused
Under the guidance of and in close cooperation with Open Text's Program
and Product Managers, the Product Designer works with domain experts and
key lighthouse customers to translate high level requirements into
designs leading to detailed requirements that deliver compelling
experiences that solve business problems. Product Design is responsible
for designing the user experience framework, interaction and interface
design for complex enterprise software applications.
Product Design works intimately with development to steer implementation
details by advocating on behalf of the "customer" in the iterative
software development life cycle. In your role as Product Designer, you
are the primary decision maker on implementation options affecting the
* Support Program and Product Management by performing user research and
developing ongoing relationships with customers.
* Capture customer stories and build an understanding of customer
problems and needs.
* Analyze, synthesize and communicate customer research findings in
order to highlight customer needs and help Program and Product
Management anticipate market change.
* Identify and create user personas, buyer personas and associated
* Conceptualize, design and deliver intuitive and compelling designs for
a complex product suite, working closely with product managers and
architects to ensure designs clearly support business objectives.
* Contribute personas, scenarios, and conceptual design solutions for
market opportunities to the business plan.
* Create user experience artifacts such as wireframes, conceptual
models, and low-high fidelity prototypes.
* Assist architects and product managers with assessing cross product
and operational impacts of proposed development projects.
* Facilitate requirements meetings, ideation sessions, design reviews
and focus groups with internal and external stakeholders.
* Maintain day to day contact with the development team to refine and
revise requirements and implementation details, based on an
agile/iterative development process.
* Provide input on personas, scenarios, and use cases for QA, PI,
Learning Services, and Technical Marketing to support them in creation
of their deliverables.
* Translate customer needs and requirements into design specifications,
provide design expertise, and advocate user needs throughout the
* Inspire the development team to develop products that meet customer
* Validate designs with customers and other stakeholders throughout the
* Mentor peers, stakeholders and teammates on customer-centered design
principles and methodologies.
* Contribute to and help champion best practices, toolkits, and
standards, fostering a customer-centered culture.
* Maintain an awareness of current trends in interaction design and
competitive software to identify opportunities to enhance the user
* Visit domestic and international customers (may travel 25% of time).
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
* 5+ years working with an experience design team or diverse experience
in areas such as development, writing, and professional or learning
* Degree in Computer Science, Human Factors Engineering, Cognitive
Science, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, or related experience.
* Strong technical background or the ability to quickly understand and
articulate interactions in a complex technical environment.
* Passionate about creating products that best serve the needs of the
* Diverse and eclectic interests and work experiences is desirable.
* Demonstrated ability to learn and design for complex business tasks.
* Must present a portfolio that demonstrates a strong understanding of
and passion for experience design.
* Experience designing large enterprise software.
* Experience planning and facilitating customer research activities,
including design sessions, focus groups, workshops, and contextual
* Experience performing user research and disseminating results to broad
audiences and successfully driving improved designs.
* Experience working with agile (user-centered design) desirable.
* Highly motivated to effect change.
* Self-reliant, self directed and used to taking initiative.
* Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, multi-task, and meet
* Goal driven: plans and manages toward achieving goals.
* Ability to anticipate problems and issues and proactively drives their
* Excellent listener, facilitator, communicator, and team player.
* Top notch communication skills.
* Strong organizational skills.
* Effective at influencing and convincing colleagues.
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to
conceptualize complex systems.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills across all levels.
* A strong ability to translate business objectives into defined tactics
with the ability to implement them across multi-functional and
* Demonstrated ability to accept responsibility and accountability for
decisions made and their consequences.
To apply, please send your resume to Marian Burdsall, Senior Product
Designer, Open Text Corporation mburdsal at opentext.com