Microsoft is looking for a design leader. Someone who thinks strategically about brands and can invent, drive, and inspire great visual and interaction design to influence the course of the world's most used software product - Windows, and its new suite of integrated online services, Windows Live. You'll be working with the world's best developers, visual and interaction designers, UX researchers, and brand managers, all dedicated to revolutionizing software design. You need to be somebody that loves software, thinks deeply about brands, is hands-on with technology, focuses on the customer, and absolutely exudes a passion for great design. You and your team will responsible for infusing and influencing the world's most recognized brand with great visual and interaction design. This is not any design lead position. This is the big time. Join us in the quest to make software that hundreds of millions of people world-wide love.
* Drive strategic thinking around the Windows and Windows Live brands, and deliver the associated design components.
* Effectively balance long-term strategic issues around branding, visual identity, and interaction design with day-to-day tactical issues. Fluidly move from oversight/art direction to hands-on, 'in the tools' design.
* Deliver world-class interaction and visual design for Windows and Windows Live.
* Collaborate across multiple disciplines: research, editorial, planning/marketing, legal, PM, and software engineering. Work closely with Legal on the IP protection of brand assets.
* Understand and evangelize user centered design and product development processes.
* Lead innovation workshops and group brainstorms to generate design concepts. Create compelling visual presentations and communicate to all levels of management.
* Demonstrate excellent interpersonal, leadership, management, and coaching skills that can inspire, lead, challenge and motivate a creative team.
* Experience defining, designing, and evolving brands. Expertise with brand strategy, naming, brand DNA, visual ID, and value prop/messaging.
* 6 years minimum work experience as a Lead Designer or 3+ years in an Art Director or Lead Interaction Designer role at a leading online company or agency.
* Exceptional understanding of fundamental design principles (typography, layout, grid systems, hierarchy, color, composition, animation). Deep understanding for Microsoft design language and the ability to translate it into future design of Windows and Windows Live. Keen eye for detail and a passion for "pixel-perfect" fit and finish.
* Strong proficiency in Adobe CS, HTML/DHTML/XML, CSS/CSSX, Dreamweaver, Ajax, Flash, and Silverlight. Familiarity with scripting languages a plus. Familiarity with different platforms and browsers, and their design constraints on the Web and in client software. Expertise in the application of tools and technologies across web, client and devices (mobile phone, tv).
* Management experience directing a creative team and collaborating with writers, usability engineers, marketing/brand managers, program managers and software developers.
* Ability to produce sketches, storyboards, scenarios, design prototypes, flows, interaction models, and visual design specs.
* Applicants should be detail-oriented, self-motivated, highly organized, and able to work in a team environment under tight deadlines. Must be organized and able to switch rapidly between different projects in a fast-paced and exciting environment. Experience shipping products for large consumer audiences and comfortable working on many products simultaneously.
* This position involves being acutely aware of what the industry and consumers need from the Windows platform and Live services, and requires a customer-focused thinker who can pro-actively communicate and lead in creative, business, and technical discussions.