BLACKBAUD Job: User Interface Designer: Charleston, SC: Full Time
12 Sep 2007 - 4:26pm
7 years ago
USER INTERFACE DESIGNER
Mid level, non-supervisory
A great reputation is a result of great products. Great products are a
result of innovative thinking. Our leading-edge Product Development team
is a big reason why Blackbaud is the world-leading provider of software
solutions for nonprofit organizations. The User Interface Designer will
help define the web interface for some of Blackbaud's most high-profile
products and provide design guidance for other key initiatives. This is
an excellent opportunity for an experienced designer or an individual
with a strong visual design and web development background who is ready
to move fully into interface and interaction design and development.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience in interface development
with a focus on web-based, commercial products, but an outstanding
portfolio of web design combined with information architecture, web
development, or user experience design will be considered. The ideal
candidate will also have an enthusiastic team-oriented attitude, a
strong design and usability ethic, proven experience delivering creative
and elegant interface solutions, and the ability to continually maintain
and evangelize UI patterns and style guidelines.
* Work with business analysts, developers, product managers, and
design lead to create visually appealing, highly usable, leading-edge,
and intuitive web interfaces.
* Work with business analysts to translate business requirements
into functional designs. Convey your solutions using prototypes,
wireframes, high-fidelity mock-ups, or other design artifacts.
* Continually develop and enhance the product's UI elements such
as navigation, page/screen templates, content management tools, email
marketing functionality, AJAX based forms, third-party reporting
controls, and other highly dynamic UI elements.
* Develop UI patterns library with design lead, developers,
technical architects, and design leads from other design teams to
maintain consistent and exceptional interface for Blackbaud products.
Also work with technical documentation and marketing to develop and
maintain product style usage guide.
* Validate newly delivered features for high usability and UI
pattern consistency. Ability to proactively implement new UI
modifications after validation solely or in conjunction with software
developers and technical architects.
* Continually enhance mature functionality and legacy interface
elements for high usability, consistency with pattern library, and
adherence to style guide.
* Continually grow and expand knowledge of usability and interface
concepts and principals. Also, continually contribute to Blackbaud's
design culture by evangelizing best practices across other design teams
and even entire product development group.
* Articulate the pros and cons of design decisions and offer clear
rationale for decisions. Continually understand the balance of user
experience, business case, and time-to-release, and make tradeoffs where
* Work with usability engineers and leverage usability evaluations
to continually improve user experience.
* Diligently ensure that your design deliverables are fully
completed on time and communicated to the appropriate stakeholders.
* Establish good relationships with multiple product teams and use
those relationships to ensure design consistency.
* Help foster an open, creative, and productive atmosphere.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS, REQUIREMENTS
* Outstanding portfolio of samples from previous projects is the
most important requirement for position. Portfolio should demonstrate
exceptional visual design aesthetics and the ability to develop
solutions based on complex user and business requirements.
* Ability to continuously create visually appealing (but
consumer-friendly) interfaces from market and business requirements
which enable a wide range of users with varying skills to successfully
achieve their goals.
* Experience working collaboratively with business analysts,
developers, product managers, and design leads within highly agile and
iterative development cycles a plus.
* Commitment to researching and extending knowledge of interface,
interaction design, and usability standards and best practices.
* Excellent negotiation, teamwork, presentation, and problem
* Ability to identify and communicate the positive and negative
aspects of designs and understand technological, time, and business
* Strong experience with design tools such as Photoshop,
* Exposure to MS Visual Studio, ASP.NET or AJAX desired.
* A four year degree in graphic design, human computer
interaction, human factors, industrial design or equivalent, combined
OTHER HELPFUL OR DESIRED EXPERIENCE
* Professional and/or personal experience in leading-edge web
development projects such as social networking/social software, content
tagging, content management system, email marketing, wikis, and other
concepts would be very helpful.
* Experience with third-party UI component providers such as
* Experience with content management systems
* Familiarity with usability engineering methodologies and
user-centered design principles very helpful.
* Awards or other recognition for innovative interaction or visual
design very helpful.
Blackbaud is the world's leading provider of software and related
services specifically tailored to meet the needs of nonprofit
organizations. Publicly traded on NASDAQ under the symbol BLKB,
Blackbaud is a successful, growing company with more than 25 years of
experience and annual revenue in excess of $192 million. The company,
led by chief executive officer (and former Microsoft(r) executive) Marc
Chardon, offers an integrated suite of nonprofit management applications
built with Microsoft(r) technology and delivered by our professional
services team. Headquartered in Charleston, SC, Blackbaud has a team of
more than 1,400 talented employees across its three global locations in
positions ranging from product development, consulting, sales, and
marketing to customer support, human resources, and finance.