Survey data analysis

4 Sep 2007 - 1:46pm
6 years ago
5 replies
1774 reads
oliver green
2006

I am currently using Excel to analysis a survey - mostly based on likert
scale. Can anyone recommend a tutorial/books etc that discuss survey data
analysis? I have found the mean, frequency, percentages etc..but would like
to know other measures that can be used to analyze the data.

Thanks,
Oliver

Comments

4 Sep 2007 - 1:51pm
SemanticWill
2007

Are you doing quantitative survey analysis for end-user research,
segmentation, and persona creation?

On 9/4/07, oliver green <oliverhci at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am currently using Excel to analysis a survey - mostly based on likert
> scale. Can anyone recommend a tutorial/books etc that discuss survey data
> analysis? I have found the mean, frequency, percentages etc..but would
> like
> to know other measures that can be used to analyze the data.
>
> Thanks,
> Oliver
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://beta.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://beta.ixda.org/help
> Unsubscribe ................ http://beta.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> Questions .................. list at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://beta.ixda.org
>

--
~ we

-------------------------------------
n: will evans
t: user experience architect
e: wkevans4 at gmail.com

-------------------------------------

4 Sep 2007 - 2:00pm
Mark Schraad
2006

Pick up an old marketing research text from a used book store or half price books ( http://www.halfpricebooks.com ). The basic analysis of this kind of data has not changed in a while so you should be able to get what you want for around ten bucks.

Mark

On Tuesday, September 04, 2007, at 02:46PM, "oliver green" <oliverhci at gmail.com> wrote:
>I am currently using Excel to analysis a survey - mostly based on likert
>scale. Can anyone recommend a tutorial/books etc that discuss survey data
>analysis? I have found the mean, frequency, percentages etc..but would like
>to know other measures that can be used to analyze the data.
>
>Thanks,
>Oliver
>________________________________________________________________
>Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
>To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
>List Guidelines ............ http://beta.ixda.org/guidelines
>List Help .................. http://beta.ixda.org/help
>Unsubscribe ................ http://beta.ixda.org/unsubscribe
>Questions .................. list at ixda.org
>Home ....................... http://beta.ixda.org
>
>

4 Sep 2007 - 2:06pm
oliver green
2006

>>Are you doing quantitative survey analysis for >>end-user research,
segmentation, and persona >>creation?

To measure attitudes based on demographics - ideally I would like to
create 4-5 personas based on these in order to drive UI design
decisions.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://beta.ixda.org/discuss?post=20076

4 Sep 2007 - 2:06pm
AlokJain
2006

Oliver,

I'll start with very basics first..

Typically in such analysis one is trying to find major similarities
and contrast. If this data is over a period of time you would also be
looking at trends.

A typical Survey is structured as follows:

1. Screening criteria questions - these questions helps ensure the
correct audience answers key questions further on
2. Concept Intro - whatever you are trying to test is introduced
here, typically you'll mix it with something else also to remove bias
and get a comparative analysis
3. Measure - here is where most likert and other scale questions come
(ranking, constant sum, staple scale etc..)
4. Addition question - like more info on demographics

With these,you can start create cross tab reports - essentially you
put one variable (answer or combination of answers) in rows and other
on columns to how one impacts other. If you ahve structured your
survey correctly you would have some independent and some dependent
variables. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Dependent_and_independent_variables

mostly you plot dependent against independent.

Next thing is to see the key trends, similarities and differences you
see are significant or not - is it something you'll base your
decision or not. So you do a statistical significance testing. There
are simple ones like t-test, z-test, etc.. and more sophisticated
ones like Hypothesis testing. Just search for these terms -
statistical significance testing, t-test, z-test, Chi-square, ANOVA,
Hypothesis testing, Conjoint Analysis.. these should lead you to good
reading material on what kind of analysis to conduct.

Here is t-test - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student%27s_t-test

I am not familiar with a cheap enough software yet, which could help
you in all this, might be others in the group are.

On Sep 4, 2007, at 2:46 PM, oliver green wrote:

> I am currently using Excel to analysis a survey - mostly based on
> likert
> scale. Can anyone recommend a tutorial/books etc that discuss
> survey data
> analysis? I have found the mean, frequency, percentages etc..but
> would like
> to know other measures that can be used to analyze the data.
>
> Thanks,
> Oliver
> ________________________________________________________________

4 Sep 2007 - 5:57pm
Etkin Ciftci
2007

Some prefer Expert Choice. You can try it out from
http://www.expertchoice.com/. The software adapts a method called "Analytic
Hierarchy Process". Also it has a module for analyzing survey data. I'm not
sure if it fits to your needs but could be a good start.

Link: http://www.expertchoice.com/
Link: http://thequalityportal.com/q_ahp.htm

Bests.

Etkin Ciftci
PhD. Student, Dept. of Industrial Design
Istanbul Technical University

Contact Information
e-mail: etkin.ciftci at itu.edu.tr

On 9/4/07 10:00 PM, "Mark Schraad" <mschraad at mac.com> wrote:

> Pick up an old marketing research text from a used book store or half price
> books ( http://www.halfpricebooks.com ). The basic analysis of this kind of
> data has not changed in a while so you should be able to get what you want for
> around ten bucks.
>
> Mark
>
>
> On Tuesday, September 04, 2007, at 02:46PM, "oliver green"
> <oliverhci at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am currently using Excel to analysis a survey - mostly based on likert
>> scale. Can anyone recommend a tutorial/books etc that discuss survey data
>> analysis? I have found the mean, frequency, percentages etc..but would like
>> to know other measures that can be used to analyze the data.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Oliver
>> ________________________________________________________________
>> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
>> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
>> List Guidelines ............ http://beta.ixda.org/guidelines
>> List Help .................. http://beta.ixda.org/help
>> Unsubscribe ................ http://beta.ixda.org/unsubscribe
>> Questions .................. list at ixda.org
>> Home ....................... http://beta.ixda.org
>>
>>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://beta.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://beta.ixda.org/help
> Unsubscribe ................ http://beta.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> Questions .................. list at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://beta.ixda.org

Syndicate content Get the feed