Why do we insist on placing the logo in the top left corner?

7 Aug 2007 - 7:48pm
6 years ago
6 replies
1078 reads
Keiyu Kamatani
2007

Hi everyone. First post here (excluding the job post a few days back).
What I wanted to ask everyone here is why does the logo need to be in the
top left corner of a page? Is this simply a consequence of convention?
Have there been studies indicating that users get frustrated when the logo's
placed on the right side? Or is there a more fundamental issue of
usability?

I'm covering my bases in regards to:

- The logo being a home button by including home in the global nav.
- Making sure the design reflects the brand identity with enough strength
that in the event the logo's hidden (i.e. small screen) the brand doesn't
suffer.
- Leveraging the unconventional method of right-side placement to its
fullest (there's a lot you can do actually).

What are some of your thoughts regarding this issue?

Keiyu Kamatani
HeathWallace (HK) Ltd

Comments

7 Aug 2007 - 8:00pm
Steve Baty
2009

Keiyu,

"What I wanted to ask everyone here is why does the logo need to be in the
top left corner of a page? Is this simply a consequence of convention?
Have there been studies indicating that users get frustrated when the logo's
placed on the right side? Or is there a more fundamental issue of
usability?"

For us it's a question of providing a very fast, visual cue to the visitor
of where they've landed. Top-left loads early; is where the eye is (/tends
to be) drawn; and follows a reasonably well-established convention. Nothing
too mystical or dogmatic about it.

Regards,

Steve Baty

----------------------------------------------
Steve 'Doc' Baty B.Sc (Maths), M.EC, MBA
Director, User Experience Strategy
Red Square
P: +612 8289 4930
M: +61 417 061 292

Member, UPA - www.upassoc.org
Member, IxDA - www.ixda.org
Member, Web Standards Group - www.webstandardsgroup.org
Columnist, UXMatters - www.uxmatters.com

7 Aug 2007 - 8:21pm
dmitryn
2004

Here's a study from a few years back showing that users overwhelmingly
expect the Home link (whether associated with the logo or not) to be
located in the top left corner:

http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/62/web_object_international.htm

Of course, this study reflects the expectations of a sample of U.S.
users - those of people in other countries will likely vary.

Dmitry

On 8/7/07, Keiyu Kamatani <banzai78.ixda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone. First post here (excluding the job post a few days back).
> What I wanted to ask everyone here is why does the logo need to be in the
> top left corner of a page? Is this simply a consequence of convention?
> Have there been studies indicating that users get frustrated when the logo's
> placed on the right side? Or is there a more fundamental issue of
> usability?
>
> I'm covering my bases in regards to:
>
> - The logo being a home button by including home in the global nav.
> - Making sure the design reflects the brand identity with enough strength
> that in the event the logo's hidden (i.e. small screen) the brand doesn't
> suffer.
> - Leveraging the unconventional method of right-side placement to its
> fullest (there's a lot you can do actually).
>
> What are some of your thoughts regarding this issue?
>
> Keiyu Kamatani
> HeathWallace (HK) Ltd
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://beta.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://beta.ixda.org/help
> Unsubscribe ................ http://beta.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> Questions .................. list at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://beta.ixda.org
>

8 Aug 2007 - 2:24am
Claude Knaus
2007

Hi Keiyu,

In the book "Universal Principles of Design", there is one principle (can´t
remember which one but it belongs to the Gestalt principles of design) which
says that things placed at the top are likely to be considered to belong to
the background, while things at the bottom belong to the foreground.

So, placing a logo at the bottom would be more effective, from this point of
view. When creating 3D demo applications, I used to place the logo bottom
left, obscuring the scenery there.

-- Claude

On 8/8/07, Keiyu Kamatani <banzai78.ixda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone. First post here (excluding the job post a few days back).
> What I wanted to ask everyone here is why does the logo need to be in the
> top left corner of a page? Is this simply a consequence of convention?
> Have there been studies indicating that users get frustrated when the
> logo's
> placed on the right side? Or is there a more fundamental issue of
> usability?
>
> I'm covering my bases in regards to:
>
> - The logo being a home button by including home in the global nav.
> - Making sure the design reflects the brand identity with enough strength
> that in the event the logo's hidden (i.e. small screen) the brand doesn't
> suffer.
> - Leveraging the unconventional method of right-side placement to its
> fullest (there's a lot you can do actually).
>
> What are some of your thoughts regarding this issue?
>
> Keiyu Kamatani
> HeathWallace (HK) Ltd
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://beta.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://beta.ixda.org/help
> Unsubscribe ................ http://beta.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> Questions .................. list at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://beta.ixda.org
>

8 Aug 2007 - 6:58am
Jarod Tang
2007

Hi Keiyu and Claude:

Maybe it's also a contribution of layout's default value. If you do
nothing, the logo just be put to there automatically. And also, both Asia
and westerns newspapers or letter paper's logo tend to be at that place,
this may, as the guys says, becomes the conventions of the logo layout.
That's to say, it's the culture constrains/conventions, make it easier there
to be found be people (1. people look for that for location information, 2.
it be put there to meet the user's habit).

Cheers
-- Jarod

On 8/8/07, Claude Knaus <clyde7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Keiyu,
>
> In the book "Universal Principles of Design", there is one principle
> (can´t
> remember which one but it belongs to the Gestalt principles of design)
> which
> says that things placed at the top are likely to be considered to belong
> to
> the background, while things at the bottom belong to the foreground.
>
> So, placing a logo at the bottom would be more effective, from this point
> of
> view. When creating 3D demo applications, I used to place the logo bottom
> left, obscuring the scenery there.
>
> -- Claude
>
> On 8/8/07, Keiyu Kamatani <banzai78.ixda at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone. First post here (excluding the job post a few days back).
> > What I wanted to ask everyone here is why does the logo need to be in
> the
> > top left corner of a page? Is this simply a consequence of convention?
> > Have there been studies indicating that users get frustrated when the
> > logo's
> > placed on the right side? Or is there a more fundamental issue of
> > usability?
> >
> > I'm covering my bases in regards to:
> >
> > - The logo being a home button by including home in the global nav.
> > - Making sure the design reflects the brand identity with enough
> strength
> > that in the event the logo's hidden (i.e. small screen) the brand
> doesn't
> > suffer.
> > - Leveraging the unconventional method of right-side placement to its
> > fullest (there's a lot you can do actually).
> >
> > What are some of your thoughts regarding this issue?
> >
> > Keiyu Kamatani
> > HeathWallace (HK) Ltd
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > List Guidelines ............ http://beta.ixda.org/guidelines
> > List Help .................. http://beta.ixda.org/help
> > Unsubscribe ................ http://beta.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> > Questions .................. list at ixda.org
> > Home ....................... http://beta.ixda.org
> >
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://beta.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://beta.ixda.org/help
> Unsubscribe ................ http://beta.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> Questions .................. list at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://beta.ixda.org
>

--
IxD for better life style.

http://jarodtang.blogspot.com

8 Aug 2007 - 8:00am
Manish Govind P...
2006

Hi,

I've been having these doubts since a long time. Glad
this came up.

I remember attending a UI Workshop during my college
days. We were asked to create menu structure and the
interface thereon. While everyone placed the menu at
the left, i instinctively placed it on the right. I
find this convenient and tend to think the users would
be naturally drawn to whats on their right faster than
whats on the left. I was surprised then to know that
research says we all look to the left instead.

Has it been scientifically proved that its the way the
brain works(naturally) and has nothing to do with our
experience with computers(dos-left command prompt,
windows-left start menu,etc)?

I'm trying to cite examples from the real world where
we look for information to the right and not the left.

Know of any?

Still thinking,
Manish

----------x---x-----------
Hi Keiyu and Claude:

Maybe it's also a contribution of layout's default
value. If you do
nothing, the logo just be put to there automatically.
And also, both
Asia
and westerns newspapers or letter paper's logo tend to
be at that
place,
this may, as the guys says, becomes the conventions
of the logo
layout.
That's to say, it's the culture
constrains/conventions, make it easier
there
to be found be people (1. people look for that for
location
information, 2.
it be put there to meet the user's habit).

Cheers
-- Jarod

On 8/8/07, Claude Knaus <clyde7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Keiyu,
>
> In the book "Universal Principles of Design", there
is one principle
> (can´t
> remember which one but it belongs to the Gestalt
principles of
design)
> which
> says that things placed at the top are likely to be
considered to
belong
> to
> the background, while things at the bottom belong to
the foreground.
>
> So, placing a logo at the bottom would be more
effective, from this
point
> of
> view. When creating 3D demo applications, I used to
place the logo
bottom
> left, obscuring the scenery there.
>
> -- Claude
>
> On 8/8/07, Keiyu Kamatani <banzai78.ixda at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone. First post here (excluding the job
post a few days
back).
> > What I wanted to ask everyone here is why does the
logo need to be
in
> the
> > top left corner of a page? Is this simply a
consequence of
convention?
> > Have there been studies indicating that users get
frustrated when
the
> > logo's
> > placed on the right side? Or is there a more
fundamental issue of
> > usability?
> >
> > I'm covering my bases in regards to:
> >
> > - The logo being a home button by including home
in the global nav.
> > - Making sure the design reflects the brand
identity with enough
> strength
> > that in the event the logo's hidden (i.e. small
screen) the brand
> doesn't
> > suffer.
> > - Leveraging the unconventional method of
right-side placement to
its
> > fullest (there's a lot you can do actually).
> >
> > What are some of your thoughts regarding this
issue?
> >
> > Keiyu Kamatani
> > HeathWallace (HK) Ltd

Thanks and Regards
Manish Govind Pillewar
Sr. User Interface Designer-UXD
Bangalore-India

Tel. +91 9880566951 (M)
+91 80 41113967 (Eve.)
Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface :-)

___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it
now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/

8 Aug 2007 - 8:07am
Faith Peterson
2007

I'm not sure if I can think of a strong Web example. In the real world,
driving and shopping come readily to mind.

Driving, in the U.S. at least. All the signs are on the right or overhead.
Traffic signals are typically on the right, overhead, or straight ahead.
This is so ingrained that signs on the left for the occasional left exit are
easily missed. The only exception I can think of offhand is the old "no
passing zone" markers on the left used in Illinois, but even then when
passing/overtaking and looking around the car in front, the no passing zone
sign is almost straight ahead of the driver. In any case, I suspect the lane
markings now take precedence. But left-lane-driving countries probably have
a different experience.

In shopping all "menus" - in the form of aisle signs or department indicator
signs - are overhead and for aisles in front of the shopper.

Faith
--
Faith Peterson
f.a.peterson at gmail.com
Schaumburg, IL
http://www.linkedin.com/in/fpeterson

On 8/8/07, Manish Pillewar <manish1022 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>
> I'm trying to cite examples from the real world where
> we look for information to the right and not the left.
>
> Know of any?
>
> Still thinking,
> Manish

Syndicate content Get the feed