Is the IXDA a well-kept secret? (was:Interesting Article About Usability as a Career in New York Times.)

17 Jul 2007 - 12:43pm
7 years ago
5 replies
515 reads
Christopher Fahey
2005

Clearly the UPA and IxDA are wildly different demographics. I look at
the UPA conference speakers list (http://tinyurl.com/28owdb), and not
only do I not personally know any of the speakers, I only *recognize*
three names on the entire list! Everyone else is someone I've never
heard of.

So why the compartmentalization? (These same questions can also apply to
the other various factions: the meetups, the CHI groups, SIG-IA, the
AIGA's various efforts, local chapters, etc)

* Is the UPA more research-oriented, and IxDA more design-oriented?
* Does the UPA skew more academic, IxDA more professional? Vice versa?
* Does the UPA skew, older? Younger?
* Does the UPA skew more innie or outie?

I wasn't surprised that the NYT would call the UPA and not IxDA. The
writer probably dug into the same pile of contacts they would have
called 15 years ago.

But what do you think?

-Cf

Christopher Fahey
____________________________
Behavior
http://www.behaviordesign.com
me: http://www.graphpaper.com

Comments

17 Jul 2007 - 2:00pm
Robert Reimann
2003

I'd guess that Barbara Whitaker Googled for the term "usability",
which wouldn't yield much in the way of links to IxDA (it's the fifth
item in a Google search on "interaction design"). I think this may be
a lesson to us that we should include terms like these as keywords for
the IxDA site.

An IxDA "button" for blogs and the like is a great idea! Thanks,
Fredrik for suggesting it, and thanks to Luke for creating it!

The fractured demographics of the UX field is very interesting, if
somewhat frustrating. Usability, HCI, and IxD practitioners really
come from a different academic and industry backgrounds, with
surprisingly few overlaps in terms of shared canonical works (I think
the knowledge itself may in many cases be analogous, but from
different sources with different pedigrees). Even more surprising is
that this has been almost equally the case for IA and IxD, though
there I believe the walls are coming down as web-based applications
become increasingly interactive.

UXNet is endeavoring to remedy this situation by building more bridges
bewteen the many distinct UX subcommunities. Our own Dave Malouf has
been a part of that effort, and IxDA is in full support of UXNet's
goals to bring these communities closer together. The cause of better
product/service interactions is well-served by a more unified voice in
advocacy of better user experiences.

Robert.

--
Robert Reimann
President, IxDA

Manager, User Experience
Bose Corporation
Framingham, MA

On 7/17/07, Christopher Fahey <chris.fahey at behaviordesign.com> wrote:
> Clearly the UPA and IxDA are wildly different demographics. I look at
> the UPA conference speakers list (http://tinyurl.com/28owdb), and not
> only do I not personally know any of the speakers, I only *recognize*
> three names on the entire list! Everyone else is someone I've never
> heard of.
>
> So why the compartmentalization? (These same questions can also apply to
> the other various factions: the meetups, the CHI groups, SIG-IA, the
> AIGA's various efforts, local chapters, etc)
>
> * Is the UPA more research-oriented, and IxDA more design-oriented?
> * Does the UPA skew more academic, IxDA more professional? Vice versa?
> * Does the UPA skew, older? Younger?
> * Does the UPA skew more innie or outie?
>
> I wasn't surprised that the NYT would call the UPA and not IxDA. The
> writer probably dug into the same pile of contacts they would have
> called 15 years ago.
>
> But what do you think?
>
> -Cf
>
> Christopher Fahey

17 Jul 2007 - 4:51pm
arielv
2007

Interestingly, this same discussion is going on the UTEST list.
Several folks who are also cognizant of IxDA are piping up over
there. It's a pretty respectful conversation. I think it indicates
the time is nigh for a multi-group summit of some sort. UXNet was
created I think to try to achieve this.

-Ariel
www.arielv.net

On Jul 17, 2007, at 2:20 PM, discuss-
request at lists.interactiondesigners.com wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 25
> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:43:24 -0400
> From: "Christopher Fahey" <chris.fahey at behaviordesign.com>
> Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Is the IXDA a well-kept secret?
> (was:Interesting Article About Usability as a Career in New York
> Times.)
> To: <discuss at ixdg.org>
> Message-ID:
> <AFF7291E22A7BB4AA616E0321FA4D05242DC1A at ntxbeus12.exchange.xchg>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
>
> Clearly the UPA and IxDA are wildly different demographics. I look at
> the UPA conference speakers list (http://tinyurl.com/28owdb), and not
> only do I not personally know any of the speakers, I only *recognize*
> three names on the entire list! Everyone else is someone I've never
> heard of.
>
> So why the compartmentalization? (These same questions can also
> apply to
> the other various factions: the meetups, the CHI groups, SIG-IA, the
> AIGA's various efforts, local chapters, etc)
>
> * Is the UPA more research-oriented, and IxDA more design-oriented?
> * Does the UPA skew more academic, IxDA more professional? Vice versa?
> * Does the UPA skew, older? Younger?
> * Does the UPA skew more innie or outie?
>
> I wasn't surprised that the NYT would call the UPA and not IxDA. The
> writer probably dug into the same pile of contacts they would have
> called 15 years ago.
>
> But what do you think?
>
> -Cf
>
> Christopher Fahey
> ____________________________
> Behavior
> http://www.behaviordesign.com
> me: http://www.graphpaper.com

17 Jul 2007 - 11:38pm
Craig Pickering
2007

Robert Reimann wrote:
> An IxDA "button" for blogs and the like is a great idea! Thanks,
> Fredrik for suggesting it, and thanks to Luke for creating it!
>
>
Has the idea of setting up an IxDA group on LinkedIn been discussed
before? Seems like it would be a useful way to increase visibility of
Interaction Design, especially to higher level corporate folk. The UPA
already has a group there : http://www.upassoc.org/about_upa/linkedin.html

We could also use Luke's button for it.

-- Craig Pickering

18 Jul 2007 - 8:36am
Robert Reimann
2003

Craig,

Excellent idea... we will look into it!

Robert.

--
Robert Reimann
President, IxDA

Manager, User Experience
Bose Corporation
Framingham, MA

On 7/18/07, Craig Pickering <craig at craigpickering.com> wrote:
> Robert Reimann wrote:
> > An IxDA "button" for blogs and the like is a great idea! Thanks,
> > Fredrik for suggesting it, and thanks to Luke for creating it!
> >
> >
> Has the idea of setting up an IxDA group on LinkedIn been discussed
> before? Seems like it would be a useful way to increase visibility of
> Interaction Design, especially to higher level corporate folk. The UPA
> already has a group there : http://www.upassoc.org/about_upa/linkedin.html
>
> We could also use Luke's button for it.
>
> -- Craig Pickering

18 Jul 2007 - 9:27am
Dave Malouf
2005

FYI, a quick check shows that you are not allowed to start new groups.
They are changing their software at LinkedIn and will open up groups
in the future.
-- dave

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://beta.ixda.org/discuss?post=18287

Syndicate content Get the feed