Mac IA Tools

22 May 2007 - 8:08am
6 years ago
10 replies
1666 reads
Gustavo Moura (...
2007

Hi All,

I'm looking for IA tools for Mac, what you suggest me?

I need tools for card sorting, wireframes, html prototyping, usability
tests, etc..

Thx in advance!

Gustavo Moura

Comments

22 May 2007 - 8:17am
Trip O'Dell
2007

Omnigraffle Pro is really good.

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/

It has a free trial, you should check it out.

Trip

On May 22, 2007, at 8:08 AM, Gustavo Moura (Criação - BSB) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for IA tools for Mac, what you suggest me?
>
> I need tools for card sorting, wireframes, html prototyping, usability
> tests, etc..
>
> Thx in advance!
>
> Gustavo Moura
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

22 May 2007 - 8:34am
Gustavo Gawry
2006

Took the word's from me...

Omnigraffle is a great tool...

but there is a nice cardsorting tool for mac too
called xSort [ http://www.ipragma.com/xsort/ ]

:-D

Gawry

On 5/22/07, Trip O'Dell <tripodell em mac.com> wrote:
>
> Omnigraffle Pro is really good.
>
> http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/
>
> It has a free trial, you should check it out.
>
> Trip
>
>
> On May 22, 2007, at 8:08 AM, Gustavo Moura (Criação - BSB) wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm looking for IA tools for Mac, what you suggest me?
> >
> > I need tools for card sorting, wireframes, html prototyping, usability
> > tests, etc..
> >
> > Thx in advance!
> >
> > Gustavo Moura
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss em ixda.org
> > List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> > List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> > (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> > Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> > Questions .................. lists em ixda.org
> > Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> > Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss em ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists em ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

--
Gustavo Gawry
User Experience Analyst
Analista de Experiência do Usuário

www.gawry.com (in portuguese)

22 May 2007 - 8:39am
Anu Leponiemi
2006

Have to say, OmniGraffle is one of the most usable software tools
I've ever used, you really should evaluate it :-)

LePo

On May 22, 2007, at 4:34 PM, Gustavo Gawry wrote:

> Took the word's from me...
>
> Omnigraffle is a great tool...
>
> but there is a nice cardsorting tool for mac too
> called xSort [ http://www.ipragma.com/xsort/ ]
>
> :-D
>
> Gawry
>
> On 5/22/07, Trip O'Dell <tripodell at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> Omnigraffle Pro is really good.
>>
>> http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/
>>
>> It has a free trial, you should check it out.
>>
>> Trip
>>
>>
>> On May 22, 2007, at 8:08 AM, Gustavo Moura (Criação - BSB) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for IA tools for Mac, what you suggest me?
>>>
>>> I need tools for card sorting, wireframes, html prototyping,
>>> usability
>>> tests, etc..
>>>
>>> Thx in advance!
>>>
>>> Gustavo Moura
>>>
>>> ________________________________________________________________
>>> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
>>> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
>>> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
>>> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
>>> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
>>> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
>>> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
>>> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
>>> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>>
>> ________________________________________________________________
>> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
>> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
>> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
>> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
>> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
>> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
>> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
>> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
>> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Gustavo Gawry
> User Experience Analyst
> Analista de Experiência do Usuário
>
> www.gawry.com (in portuguese)
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

22 May 2007 - 8:48am
Chip O'Neill
2007

Does anyone know anyone in the interactive arena that could benefit from hearing about full time permanent positions in the Philadelphia / New Jersey areas? I am working on positions including, but not limited to: Information Architect, UI manager, User Experience, Flash developers and Java/.Net developers.

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com [mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com] On Behalf Of Anu Leponiemi
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 9:40 AM
To: IxDA Discuss
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Mac IA Tools

Have to say, OmniGraffle is one of the most usable software tools I've ever used, you really should evaluate it :-)

LePo

On May 22, 2007, at 4:34 PM, Gustavo Gawry wrote:

> Took the word's from me...
>
> Omnigraffle is a great tool...
>
> but there is a nice cardsorting tool for mac too called xSort [
> http://www.ipragma.com/xsort/ ]
>
> :-D
>
> Gawry
>
> On 5/22/07, Trip O'Dell <tripodell at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> Omnigraffle Pro is really good.
>>
>> http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/
>>
>> It has a free trial, you should check it out.
>>
>> Trip
>>
>>
>> On May 22, 2007, at 8:08 AM, Gustavo Moura (Criação - BSB) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for IA tools for Mac, what you suggest me?
>>>
>>> I need tools for card sorting, wireframes, html prototyping,
>>> usability tests, etc..
>>>
>>> Thx in advance!
>>>
>>> Gustavo Moura
>>>
>>> ________________________________________________________________
>>> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
>>> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org List Guidelines
>>> ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/ List Help ..................
>>> http://listhelp.ixda.org/ (Un)Subscription Options ...
>>> http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
>>> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
>>> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org Home
>>> ....................... http://ixda.org/ Resource Library
>>> ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>>
>> ________________________________________________________________
>> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
>> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org List Guidelines
>> ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/ List Help ..................
>> http://listhelp.ixda.org/ (Un)Subscription Options ...
>> http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
>> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
>> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org Home
>> ....................... http://ixda.org/ Resource Library ...........
>> http://resources.ixda.org
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Gustavo Gawry
> User Experience Analyst
> Analista de Experiência do Usuário
>
> www.gawry.com (in portuguese)
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org List Guidelines
> ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/ List Help ..................
> http://listhelp.ixda.org/ (Un)Subscription Options ...
> http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org Home
> ....................... http://ixda.org/ Resource Library ...........
> http://resources.ixda.org

________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/ List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/ (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
Questions .................. lists at ixda.org Home ....................... http://ixda.org/ Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

22 May 2007 - 8:53am
Todd Warfel
2003

On May 22, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Gustavo Moura (Criação - BSB) wrote:

> I'm looking for IA tools for Mac, what you suggest me?
>
> I need tools for card sorting, wireframes, html prototyping,
> usability tests, etc.

Wow, this could take a number of tracks. Here's what we use:

Card Sorting - index cards, Avery labels for printing descriptions,
track results in Excel
Wireframes - currently InDesign and Illustrator (there's a series of
articles I'm writing about it on at my blog http://toddwarfel.com).
We're going to start trying out the new Fireworks 3 for wireframes
and prototyping to see how it fares.
HTML Prototyping - Dreamweaver currently. Some prototyping in Flash
as well. And we'll start looking at using Fireworks
Usability testing - we test on both platforms. So, we actually have a
couple of 17" Intel iMacs that run both Windows and OS X. For windows
we use Morea. For OS X, we use Snap Z Pro. We export files out of
Morea and Snap Z Pro and import them into iMovie to make vignettes,
which we export quickly and easily with iDVD.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
Partner, Design & Usability Specialist
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
----------------------------------
Contact Info
Voice: (215) 825-7423
Email: todd at messagefirst.com
AIM: twarfel at mac.com
Blog: http://toddwarfel.com
----------------------------------
In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they are not.

22 May 2007 - 9:36am
Gustavo Gawry
2006

Todd,

I was thinking to test Fireworks CS3 for prototyping too...
Have you tested yet? did you get good results?

Regards,
Gawry

On 5/22/07, Todd Zaki Warfel <lists em toddwarfel.com> wrote:
>
>
> On May 22, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Gustavo Moura (Criação - BSB) wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for IA tools for Mac, what you suggest me?
> >
> > I need tools for card sorting, wireframes, html prototyping,
> > usability tests, etc.
>
> Wow, this could take a number of tracks. Here's what we use:
>
> Card Sorting - index cards, Avery labels for printing descriptions,
> track results in Excel
> Wireframes - currently InDesign and Illustrator (there's a series of
> articles I'm writing about it on at my blog http://toddwarfel.com).
> We're going to start trying out the new Fireworks 3 for wireframes
> and prototyping to see how it fares.
> HTML Prototyping - Dreamweaver currently. Some prototyping in Flash
> as well. And we'll start looking at using Fireworks
> Usability testing - we test on both platforms. So, we actually have a
> couple of 17" Intel iMacs that run both Windows and OS X. For windows
> we use Morea. For OS X, we use Snap Z Pro. We export files out of
> Morea and Snap Z Pro and import them into iMovie to make vignettes,
> which we export quickly and easily with iDVD.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Todd Zaki Warfel
> Partner, Design & Usability Specialist
> Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
> ----------------------------------
> Contact Info
> Voice: (215) 825-7423
> Email: todd em messagefirst.com
> AIM: twarfel em mac.com
> Blog: http://toddwarfel.com
> ----------------------------------
> In theory, theory and practice are the same.
> In practice, they are not.
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss em ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists em ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

--
Gustavo Gawry
User Experience Analyst
Analista de Experiência do Usuário

www.gawry.com (in portuguese)

22 May 2007 - 10:42am
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

> Have to say, OmniGraffle is one of the most usable software tools
> I've ever used

... but I highly recommend using it on a really large, hi-res monitor.
Those floating panels can get messy.

Other than that, it's fantastic. It also covers more than one of your needs:

1) Wireframes
2) Prototypes (PDF, not HTML, but click actions nonetheless)

I swear by it. Sometimes I swear *at* it, but that's true of most software.

-r-

22 May 2007 - 9:08pm
Kevin Wong
2007

I've used this for school projects and all of my classmates wanted to
learn more about it. I agree with what everyone has state before,
it's a wonderful tool and yes, you do need a large screen. It's a
little cramped on my 15" PB.

This has come up a lot lately, but here it is again:http://
urlgreyhot.com/personal/weblog/creating_prototypes_with_omnigraffle
The link is a great demonstration of how to use it.

Kevin

On May 22, 2007, at 8:42 AM, Robert Hoekman, Jr. wrote:

>> Have to say, OmniGraffle is one of the most usable software tools
>> I've ever used
>
> ... but I highly recommend using it on a really large, hi-res monitor.
> Those floating panels can get messy.
>
> Other than that, it's fantastic. It also covers more than one of
> your needs:
>
> 1) Wireframes
> 2) Prototypes (PDF, not HTML, but click actions nonetheless)
>
> I swear by it. Sometimes I swear *at* it, but that's true of most
> software.
>
> -r-
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

Kevin Wong Student IxDesigner at UW Informatics - kvwong.com/blog
contact | kevinwong at kvwong.com - 425.894.9211 aim | kdubz313

22 May 2007 - 10:57pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

> but there is a nice cardsorting tool for mac too
> called xSort [ http://www.ipragma.com/xsort/ ]

I downloaded this and tried it out based on your recommendation. It's
absolutely great. It's so easy to use and just really nice overall. I
think I was up and running with it in about five seconds.

Thanks for the tip!

-r-

23 May 2007 - 7:55am
Gustavo Gawry
2006

you're welcome

:-)

Gawry
User Experience Analyst

On 5/23/07, Robert Hoekman, Jr. <rhoekmanjr em gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > but there is a nice cardsorting tool for mac too
> > called xSort [ http://www.ipragma.com/xsort/ ]
>
> I downloaded this and tried it out based on your recommendation. It's
> absolutely great. It's so easy to use and just really nice overall. I
> think I was up and running with it in about five seconds.
>
> Thanks for the tip!
>
> -r-
>

--
Gustavo Gawry
User Experience Analyst
Analista de Experiência do Usuário

www.gawry.com (in portuguese)

Syndicate content Get the feed