JOB: Mobile software design VisD/IxD, Redwood City CA (contract)
2 May 2007 - 12:27pm
Openwave's design team is looking for a passionate and talented senior level Visual Designer who also speaks Interaction Design (will consider vice versa under the right circumstances) to design cutting edge mobile software products! We have several next-generation, exciting end-user facing products in our pipeline, and a real opportunity for the design team to make a significant contribution to the success of the products and the company.
[NOTE: Interaction designers who are non-Visual Designers - if you're interested, please contact me as well - I'm working on opening up headcount for IxD as well, and will know shortly.]
Our ideal candidate has 3+ years of experience designing interactive software products, and a portfolio that shows expertise and innovation in designing for small screens. S/he will thrive in an interdisciplinary environment, working with other designers and product managers, and be particularly fired up at the prospect of working closely with an awesome team of engineers (yes, you have to actively like engineers to work here). Also, while our ideal candidate doesn't believe all the "web 2.0" hype, s/he understands and is excited about the cool things that the current technologies enable a product development team to do.
We definitely need to bring in someone who can produce high-quality visual design elements, as well as deliver detailed visual design specifications for the development team. What we would ideally want, though, is a designer who will also help fuel the creative fire as a core member of the product development team, and participate as part of the team defining the product's interaction design.
This is a five-month contract to start off, with possible potential to become a beautiful ongoing relationship.
- 3+ years designing interactive software products (not just web sites)
- Bachelors' degree in related field, or equivalent work experience
- A portfolio that demonstrates design innovation and expertise - mobile/handheld/small screen experience a strong plus
- Near-fanatical dedication to goal-centered and user-centered design principles and methods
- Superlative communication and cooperation skills, with strong fluency in Designer, Business Contact and Engineer
- Working experience with appropriate design tools including Photoshop, Illustrator, Visio, etc. as they relate to producing visual design deliverables and detailed specifications
- Nerdly passion for products that work well
Please send me your resume, portfolio link or samples, and a short introductory note.