An inconvenient truth: CHI is not sustainable

25 Apr 2007 - 10:30am
7 years ago
4 replies
396 reads
Dave Malouf
2005

since the paper mentioned below is "Interaction Design" based, I
thought I would pass it along here. I hope the paper will be made
public so we can have a better discussion, but in the meantime, what
are the issues of sustainability for our community?

* Work environment
* What is unsustainable about software? digital products?

Most sustainability talk is about the physical world. Materials and
carbon footprints.
As interaction designers, what is our role in thinking about sustainability?

Maybe the paper will be made public soon.

-- dave

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jennifer Mankoff <jmankoff at cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Apr 24, 2007 11:37 PM
Subject: An inconvenient truth: CHI is not sustainable
To: CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS at listserv.acm.org

It has been said that the best way to effect change is to start in the
places you have most expertise. This year at CHI, we are hoping to
engage the community in a conversation about what we can do to increase
the sustainability of interactive technologies.

Come join us -- see the best paper (Sustainable Interaction Design:
Invention &
Disposal, Renewal, & Reuse, Tuesday, 2:30), attend the SIG
(Sustainability and Interaction, Tuesday, 11:30), join the mailing list
(sustainable-chi at googlegroups.com,
http://groups.google.com/group/sustainable-chi)

Organizers: Jennifer Mankoff, Eli Blevis, Alan Borning, Batya Friedman,
Susan R. Fussell, Jay Hasbrouck, Allison Woodruff, Phoebe Sengers

We believe that sustainability is an issue that has import for the
entire CHI community. We therefore encourage participation by anyone who
is interested in how sustainability might impact them, or has thoughts
on how we can raise awareness and integrate the implications of
sustainability into the work of the CHI community. A background in
sustainability is not
required to participate in this SIG. The discussion presented here is
just a first step in what we hope will be a longer discussion in the CHI
community. We encourage you to join the discussion and help us to define
a vision for greener, more sustainable interactive technologies. Topics
will include
• Opportunities for including sustainability in research
• Approaches to including sustainability in practice
• Implications for education

---------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, send an empty email to
mailto:chi-announcements-unsubscribe-request at listserv.acm.org
For further details of CHI lists see http://sigchi.org/listserv
---------------------------------------------------------------

--
David Malouf
http://synapticburn.com/
http://ixda.org/
http://motorola.com/

Comments

25 Apr 2007 - 10:48am
.pauric
2006

I see there being two approaches to lowering footprint.

1)Who/What you work on. You can choose to work on projects that have an
obvious positive impact on the environment. E.g. IxD'ers working for WebEx
clearly have a hand in reducing carbon emissions.

2)Walk the talk, this is a nice video from Digital Eskimo on some of the
things you can do around your workspace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGzj8MSDixE

25 Apr 2007 - 11:20am
.pauric
2006

Oh, one other thing (can you tell I'm passionate about this!)

Its perfectly possible to be a designer without traveling the globe to
clients, users & conferences. I appreciate the needs/advantages and I've
done my time... but its perfectly possible to develop
methods/processes/documents that avoid physical travel to a greater degree.

25 Apr 2007 - 12:16pm
dmitryn
2004

An advance copy is available off the author's site:

http://design.informatics.indiana.edu/designii/eli/images/3/3a/Chi472-blevis-minorrevision.pdf

Dmitry

> Maybe the paper will be made public soon.
>
> -- dave
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Jennifer Mankoff <jmankoff at cs.cmu.edu>
> Date: Apr 24, 2007 11:37 PM
> Subject: An inconvenient truth: CHI is not sustainable
> To: CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS at listserv.acm.org
>
>
> It has been said that the best way to effect change is to start in the
> places you have most expertise. This year at CHI, we are hoping to
> engage the community in a conversation about what we can do to increase
> the sustainability of interactive technologies.
>
> Come join us -- see the best paper (Sustainable Interaction Design:
> Invention &
> Disposal, Renewal, & Reuse, Tuesday, 2:30), attend the SIG
> (Sustainability and Interaction, Tuesday, 11:30), join the mailing list
> (sustainable-chi at googlegroups.com,
> http://groups.google.com/group/sustainable-chi)
>
> Organizers: Jennifer Mankoff, Eli Blevis, Alan Borning, Batya Friedman,
> Susan R. Fussell, Jay Hasbrouck, Allison Woodruff, Phoebe Sengers
>
> We believe that sustainability is an issue that has import for the
> entire CHI community. We therefore encourage participation by anyone who
> is interested in how sustainability might impact them, or has thoughts
> on how we can raise awareness and integrate the implications of
> sustainability into the work of the CHI community. A background in
> sustainability is not
> required to participate in this SIG. The discussion presented here is
> just a first step in what we hope will be a longer discussion in the CHI
> community. We encourage you to join the discussion and help us to define
> a vision for greener, more sustainable interactive technologies. Topics
> will include
> • Opportunities for including sustainability in research
> • Approaches to including sustainability in practice
> • Implications for education
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, send an empty email to
> mailto:chi-announcements-unsubscribe-request at listserv.acm.org
> For further details of CHI lists see http://sigchi.org/listserv
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> --
> David Malouf
> http://synapticburn.com/
> http://ixda.org/
> http://motorola.com/
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

25 Apr 2007 - 11:37am
Trip O'Dell
2007

Hello All, new to the list -

Those are both really good questions, but I think making a
distinction between physical and virtual products (and services) is a
red herring. Aside from the obvious argument that all software has a
carbon footprint at some point in its life (certainly in design and
development, but also while in use) - There are other factors that
could make software more sustainable.

• The role software plays in frequent hardware upgrades/physical
media usage
In many respects this one is hard to avoid. But we can ask
ourselves what problems are we currently solving with raw processing
power and ram, that could be solved with better usability and design?

• The primary focus on a single user rather than collaborative work
for most software
Progress is being made in this area with web-based solutions like
google-docs - but it could go much further. Operating systems and
interaction methods are still geared for one user at a time on most
machines. Is this an efficient practice, given the fact that workers
are far more mobile, working from home or working flexibly in
available spaces (based on their current task) rather than in cube
farms and individual offices?

• Under-utilization of shared processing and distributed computing
These techniques have been used for years in areas like science,
media production, etc - why not for basic office and home
applications? Is it really necessary for every member of the family
to have their own computer? Simple easy to administer home servers
that deal with file sharing, storage, permissions, application usage,
bandwidth usage, media streaming, remote access to household
automation, etc.

• The current business/development model of most software companies -
Is still based on selling a product - rather than a service.
Computer usage could be more like cable TV - with both subscription
and pay-per use options. You get the "box" with the subscription,
and you are always using the most up to date, feature-rich version of
the software. Like the current generation of game consoles, the rate
of hardware upgrade is controlled - software and hardware are
compatible by design.

On Apr 25, 2007, at 10:30 AM, David Malouf wrote:

> since the paper mentioned below is "Interaction Design" based, I
> thought I would pass it along here. I hope the paper will be made
> public so we can have a better discussion, but in the meantime, what
> are the issues of sustainability for our community?
>
> * Work environment
> * What is unsustainable about software? digital products?
>
> Most sustainability talk is about the physical world. Materials and
> carbon footprints.
> As interaction designers, what is our role in thinking about
> sustainability?
>
> Maybe the paper will be made public soon.
>
> -- dave
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Jennifer Mankoff <jmankoff at cs.cmu.edu>
> Date: Apr 24, 2007 11:37 PM
> Subject: An inconvenient truth: CHI is not sustainable
> To: CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS at listserv.acm.org
>
>
> It has been said that the best way to effect change is to start in the
> places you have most expertise. This year at CHI, we are hoping to
> engage the community in a conversation about what we can do to
> increase
> the sustainability of interactive technologies.
>
> Come join us -- see the best paper (Sustainable Interaction Design:
> Invention &
> Disposal, Renewal, & Reuse, Tuesday, 2:30), attend the SIG
> (Sustainability and Interaction, Tuesday, 11:30), join the mailing
> list
> (sustainable-chi at googlegroups.com,
> http://groups.google.com/group/sustainable-chi)
>
> Organizers: Jennifer Mankoff, Eli Blevis, Alan Borning, Batya
> Friedman,
> Susan R. Fussell, Jay Hasbrouck, Allison Woodruff, Phoebe Sengers
>
> We believe that sustainability is an issue that has import for the
> entire CHI community. We therefore encourage participation by
> anyone who
> is interested in how sustainability might impact them, or has thoughts
> on how we can raise awareness and integrate the implications of
> sustainability into the work of the CHI community. A background in
> sustainability is not
> required to participate in this SIG. The discussion presented here is
> just a first step in what we hope will be a longer discussion in
> the CHI
> community. We encourage you to join the discussion and help us to
> define
> a vision for greener, more sustainable interactive technologies.
> Topics
> will include
> • Opportunities for including sustainability in research
> • Approaches to including sustainability in practice
> • Implications for education
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, send an empty email to
> mailto:chi-announcements-unsubscribe-request at listserv.acm.org
> For further details of CHI lists see http://sigchi.org/listserv
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> --
> David Malouf
> http://synapticburn.com/
> http://ixda.org/
> http://motorola.com/
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

Syndicate content Get the feed