Hospitals pick hi-tech clipboard

22 Feb 2007 - 12:24am
7 years ago
4 replies
645 reads
dszuc
2005

Thought this may interest the group:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6383035.stm

Rgds,

Daniel Szuc
Principal Usability Consultant
Apogee Usability Asia Ltd
www.apogeehk.com
'Usability in Asia'

The Usability Toolkit - http://www.sitepoint.com/books/usability1/

Comments

23 Feb 2007 - 4:53pm
Fred Beecher
2006

A quote from the article says it best: "This is an example of the correct
tool for the job..."

My company was involved in a similar project... we were working with social
workers in Wisconsin who were failing to enter their reports etc. in a
timely manner. This was causing lots of communication problems. So the
consultant ended up designing an application for them to use via a tablet
computer. So now when they are working remotely doing interviews, etc., just
taking notes is their reporting process.

I'm inspired by IxD stories like this... thanks for posting it, Daniel.

- Fred

On 2/21/07, Daniel Szuc <dszuc at apogeehk.com> wrote:
>
> Thought this may interest the group:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6383035.stm
>
> Rgds,
>
> Daniel Szuc
> Principal Usability Consultant
> Apogee Usability Asia Ltd
> www.apogeehk.com
> 'Usability in Asia'
>
> The Usability Toolkit - http://www.sitepoint.com/books/usability1/
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

27 Feb 2007 - 1:36pm
Jeff Axup
2006

Very interesting article. However, these marketing pieces never get down
into the details of design or practical use. They did mention it crashes all
the time. How does that affect workflow? And it would be interesting to hear
whether they did participatory or contextual design as part of their
process. I've heard some absolute horror stories about medical kiosk systems
and how they actually made hospitals more stressful and less efficient to
work in because they didn't support existing work processes. Good to see
tablets finally going into practical use.

-Jeff

On 2/23/07, Fred Beecher <fbeecher at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A quote from the article says it best: "This is an example of the correct
> tool for the job..."
>
> My company was involved in a similar project... we were working with
> social
> workers in Wisconsin who were failing to enter their reports etc. in a
> timely manner. This was causing lots of communication problems. So the
> consultant ended up designing an application for them to use via a tablet
> computer. So now when they are working remotely doing interviews, etc.,
> just
> taking notes is their reporting process.
>
> I'm inspired by IxD stories like this... thanks for posting it, Daniel.
>
> - Fred
>
> On 2/21/07, Daniel Szuc <dszuc at apogeehk.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thought this may interest the group:
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6383035.stm
> >
> > Rgds,
> >
> > Daniel Szuc
> > Principal Usability Consultant
> > Apogee Usability Asia Ltd
> > www.apogeehk.com
> > 'Usability in Asia'
> >
> > The Usability Toolkit - http://www.sitepoint.com/books/usability1/
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> > List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> > (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> > Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> > Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> > Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> > Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
> >
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

--
Best Regards,
Jeff
____________________________________________________________________________
Jeff Axup Ph.D. Candidate - University of Queensland, Brisbane,
Australia
Principal Consultant, Mobile Community Design Consulting

Research: Mobile Group Research Methods, Social Networks, Group Usability
E-mail: axup <at> userdesign.com
Blog: http://mobilecommunitydesign.com
Moblog: http://memeaddict.blogspot.com
Academic: http://www.infenv.itee.uq.edu.au
____________________________________________________________________________

27 Feb 2007 - 10:44pm
dszuc
2005

Thanks Jeff.

Yes agree it opens up a number of questions like:

* Does it save time?
* What backup system do the users have if the tablets fail? (back to notepad
and pen)
* How will the *physical design* weather hospital usage? (dropping them,
hanging them up etc)
* Was there an opportunity to watch them being used in the field? -
http://www.adaptivepath.com/blog/2007/02/04/embodied-experience-strategies/
- "Jeff Hawkins, as he was formulating ideas for the Palm Pilot, walked
around with a block of wood in his pocket, pulling it out and "using" it
when the situation warranted."

There was also seems to be a real dependency on strong wireless signal.

"Good to see tablets finally going into practical use." - Yup and looks
promising!

Rgds,
Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com] On Behalf Of Jeff
Axup
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 2:37 AM
To: discuss at ixda.org
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Hospitals pick hi-tech clipboard

Very interesting article. However, these marketing pieces never get down
into the details of design or practical use. They did mention it crashes all
the time. How does that affect workflow? And it would be interesting to hear
whether they did participatory or contextual design as part of their
process. I've heard some absolute horror stories about medical kiosk systems
and how they actually made hospitals more stressful and less efficient to
work in because they didn't support existing work processes. Good to see
tablets finally going into practical use.

-Jeff

On 2/23/07, Fred Beecher <fbeecher at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A quote from the article says it best: "This is an example of the
> correct tool for the job..."
>
> My company was involved in a similar project... we were working with
> social workers in Wisconsin who were failing to enter their reports
> etc. in a timely manner. This was causing lots of communication
> problems. So the consultant ended up designing an application for them
> to use via a tablet computer. So now when they are working remotely
> doing interviews, etc., just taking notes is their reporting process.
>
> I'm inspired by IxD stories like this... thanks for posting it,
> Daniel.
>
> - Fred
>
> On 2/21/07, Daniel Szuc <dszuc at apogeehk.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thought this may interest the group:
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6383035.stm
> >
> > Rgds,
> >
> > Daniel Szuc
> > Principal Usability Consultant
> > Apogee Usability Asia Ltd
> > www.apogeehk.com
> > 'Usability in Asia'
> >
> > The Usability Toolkit - http://www.sitepoint.com/books/usability1/
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/ List Help
> > .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/ (Un)Subscription
> > Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> > Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> > Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> > Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> > Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
> >
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

--
Best Regards,
Jeff
____________________________________________________________________________
Jeff Axup Ph.D. Candidate - University of Queensland, Brisbane,
Australia
Principal Consultant, Mobile Community Design Consulting

Research: Mobile Group Research Methods, Social Networks, Group Usability
E-mail: axup <at> userdesign.com
Blog: http://mobilecommunitydesign.com
Moblog: http://memeaddict.blogspot.com
Academic: http://www.infenv.itee.uq.edu.au
____________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/ (Un)Subscription
Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

1 Mar 2007 - 3:51pm
Susan Dybbs
2006

Generally, I am skeptical about merely throwing technology at
problems, especially ones situated in complex environments such as
hospitals. I am equally skeptical about tacking on features that are
are not derived from task or users' mental model.

During my research over the past year at University of Pennsylvania
Medical Center, I have observed nurses using a variety of desktop
software. While the software contains some of the capabilities
outlined in the article, the interface hides features and its poor
design alienates the nurses from using it for even the most basic
functions. Merely making this type of software mobile will provide
little improvement.

Despite my doubts, I am certain that this product will reduce staff
paperwork. In the units I observed, nurses must fill out several
forms just to administer an IV.

Reading that the companies have been working with with both the NHS
and health care practitioners for the past two years reduces some of
my initial skepticism. I am very interested to see how this device
will impact staff and patients.

Looking forward, I can see how the platform required to support this
device can be leveraged by a suite of products and services that can
streamline processes, increase distribution of information to
appropriate parties, and improve staff, patient, and family
experiences.

Thanks for posting the link.

Syndicate content Get the feed