IxD Competitions

21 Feb 2007 - 9:56am
7 years ago
6 replies
542 reads
AlokJain
2006

Friends,

Which competitions would you recommend for Interaction Design work (more in
the Web space)?

--
Best Regards
Alok Jain
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.iPrincipia.com
http://www.i-Kreate.org

Comments

21 Feb 2007 - 10:36am
Mark Schraad
2006

Alok,

I have a pretty significant bias here. I think the beauty, cool factor and clever contest fall pretty flat.

Look for events that require a problem/solution format and ask for some metrics or indicators of successfully fulfilling business requirements. They are harder to judge and thus harder to find. You will typically find them in in academic sttings or in vertical association structures.

Mark

On Wednesday, February 21, 2007, at 09:57AM, "Alok Jain" <alok.ajain1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>Friends,
>
>Which competitions would you recommend for Interaction Design work (more in
>the Web space)?
>
>--
>Best Regards
>Alok Jain

21 Feb 2007 - 10:45am
Dan Saffer
2003

Currently, I know of only one true interaction design award, and that
is IDSA/BusinessWeek's IDEA award in the (new) interaction design
category.

http://www.idsa.org/idea2007/

Unfortunately, the deadline for it this year just ended.

The other one are the HOW awards:

http://www.howdesign.com/competitions/

Dan

21 Feb 2007 - 11:18am
Dave Malouf
2005

I have a different question ...

What would make an award worthwhile to bother with a submission fee & process?
What are you looking for in submitting a proposal for an award?
What should the community be looking for?
What personal value? corporate value? is derived? short term? long term?
What makes an IxD award different from other design awards?
What would be an ideal review process? What are the criteria for review?
What makes a "winner"?
Are there different categories?

(hmmm? maybe this should be done in survey monkey? and why hasn't
Surveymonkey created an ajax version yet?)

-- dave

On 2/21/07, Dan Saffer <dan at odannyboy.com> wrote:
> Currently, I know of only one true interaction design award, and that
> is IDSA/BusinessWeek's IDEA award in the (new) interaction design
> category.
>
> http://www.idsa.org/idea2007/
>
> Unfortunately, the deadline for it this year just ended.
>
> The other one are the HOW awards:
>
> http://www.howdesign.com/competitions/
>
>
> Dan
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

--
David Malouf
http://synapticburn.com/
http://ixda.org/
http://motorola.com/

21 Feb 2007 - 11:03am
Jack L. Moffett
2005

Communication Arts has an "Interaction Design Annual". Their deadline
for the 2007 issue was in January.

http://www.commarts.com/CA/interactive/

2007 call for entries:
http://www.commarts.com/ca/magazine/comp/mag_ia.html

Best,
Jack

Jack L. Moffett
Interaction Designer
inmedius
412.459.0310 x219
http://www.inmedius.com

Form follows function -
that has been misunderstood.
Form and function should be one,
joined in a spiritual union.

- Frank Lloyd Wright

21 Feb 2007 - 12:08pm
AlokJain
2006

Dave,

I was thinking about something like this sometime back.. here are my
thoughts:

1. Value to Individual/Company: - Recognition, New opportunities,
Competitive Evaluation (not necessarily by judges, could be self), Feedback,
Networking

2. Value to Community - Encourage competition which leads to growth, to a
certain degree provide direction to the field ... , recognition of the field
itself

3. Review Factors - Innovation (needs to be defined in this context), Focus
applied in the solution (What should not be in a solution is as important as
what should be), Integration with other disciplines (IA, Biz strategy,
Design, Accessibility ....), Final Impact

4. Review Process - 360 degree review - experts (??), peers, novices.
Representation from multiple disciplines - business, design ..., Actual
users

This is something IxDA as an org can take up ...

--
Best Regards
Alok Jain
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.iPrincipia.com
http://www.i-Kreate.org <http://www.i-kreate.org/>

On 2/21/07, David Malouf <dave.ixd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a different question ...
>
> What would make an award worthwhile to bother with a submission fee &
> process?
> What are you looking for in submitting a proposal for an award?
> What should the community be looking for?
> What personal value? corporate value? is derived? short term? long term?
> What makes an IxD award different from other design awards?
> What would be an ideal review process? What are the criteria for review?
> What makes a "winner"?
> Are there different categories?
>
> (hmmm? maybe this should be done in survey monkey? and why hasn't
> Surveymonkey created an ajax version yet?)
>
> -- dave
>

21 Feb 2007 - 11:53am
Prabhath Sirisena
2007

> > http://www.idsa.org/idea2007/
> >

I like how they've gone for meticulously calculated low contrast
between body text and background colours for the site to ensure only
designers with the sharpest eye are able to send their submissions.

Prabhath

--
http://nidahas.com

Syndicate content Get the feed