ADMIN: Reminder about guidelines for using subject lines.

25 Jan 2007 - 2:16pm
7 years ago
6 replies
493 reads
Dave Malouf
2005

http://listguide.ixda.org

In general, it might be good for folks to review the list guidelines.

Specifically, Ils like to remind everyone that using subject lines that are
relevant and appropriate is required by everyone regardless of whether or
not you use the digest version or not.

Recently someone posted without using a subject line. While that is
obviously against the guidelines, what is also not good is that too many
people just replied to that message or another message in that thread
without changing the subject line.

One person did try to change it, but even after this was posted many many
people were still replying to the old no subject thread without changing it.

The reason this is so important (now more than ever) is that in the near
future IxDA is going to be releasing a web front end to our mailing list.
Packed with features that will enhance everyone's use of the discussion
list of IxDA. For this new interface to be most effective, subject line
integrity is really important.

As a side note so are the guidelines for Job postings.

So please do be sure when posting and replying to use a relevant and
appropriate subject line.

Dave

___
David Malouf
dave (at) ixda.org
http://synapticburn.com/
http://ixda.org/

Comments

25 Jan 2007 - 2:32pm
.pauric
2006

Guidelines aside, just for arguments sake, how does one resolve
"Packed with features that will enhance everyone's use of the discussion
list of IxDA. For this new interface to be most effective, subject line
integrity is really important."

with

"*It's not your fault*
"you" being the user. It is the designer's fault. I totally agree with this
one. " Quoted from http://synapticburn.com/engage.php?id=P194 (o;

25 Jan 2007 - 2:41pm
Josh Seiden
2003

One resolves it by pointing out the lack of volunteers with coding skills
available to help us bridge this gap in any reasonable time frame.

If you have some free time and some web application development skills,
perhaps you too can volunteer to help us bridge this gap.

:-)

JS

On 1/25/07, pauric <radiorental at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Guidelines aside, just for arguments sake, how does one resolve
> "Packed with features that will enhance everyone's use of the discussion
> list of IxDA. For this new interface to be most effective, subject line
> integrity is really important."
>
> with
>
> "*It's not your fault*
> "you" being the user. It is the designer's fault. I totally agree with
> this
> one. " Quoted from http://synapticburn.com/engage.php?id=P194 (o;
>

25 Jan 2007 - 2:53pm
.pauric
2006

touché (o; I have the coding skills of a Peruvian mountain goat on
acid. I do have a suggestion for said vaporous resource when you find
them. Maybe make the mailing list filter subjectless/"no subject"
posts and bounce them in to the big round folder in the corner.

Seriously though. I'll go over and review any areas the IxDA needs
help as I'm in a prolonged roadmap gap, although I'm not sure what I
could possibly offer. Also, my post was more directed at the concept
of 'the customer is always right', we dont work in a restaurant. (o;

On 1/25/07, Joshua Seiden <joshseiden at gmail.com> wrote:
> One resolves it by pointing out the lack of volunteers with coding skills
> available to help us bridge this gap in any reasonable time frame.
>
> If you have some free time and some web application development skills,
> perhaps you too can volunteer to help us bridge this gap.
>
> :-)
>
> JS
>
>
> On 1/25/07, pauric <radiorental at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Guidelines aside, just for arguments sake, how does one resolve
> > "Packed with features that will enhance everyone's use of the discussion
> > list of IxDA. For this new interface to be most effective, subject line
> > integrity is really important."
> >
> > with
> >
> > "*It's not your fault*
> > "you" being the user. It is the designer's fault. I totally agree with
> this
> > one. " Quoted from
> http://synapticburn.com/engage.php?id=P194 (o;
> >
>
>

--
Job type: In house
Field: Embedded & physical interfaces. Web/cli

25 Jan 2007 - 4:21pm
.pauric
2006

I owe you an apology Dave. Firstly, thanks for your efforts in the IxDA. I
appreciate the constraints and have no idea how you hold down a job, family
and find time for the IxDA efforts.

Not wanting to turn this in to a conditioned apology, I only wanted to
highlight the fact that while 'the customer is always right' is a noble
goal, I feel it is a very impractical one. So much so, a designer should
not distract himself trying to achieve the impossible.

But again, it was an underhanded way in which I tried to point that out.

take care - pauric

25 Jan 2007 - 8:39pm
Josh Seiden
2003

As I re-read my reply, I realize it might sound kinda harsh. Pauric, I
didn't mean to call you out personally. I was simply trying to point
out that this ship runs on volunteer labor, and was asking for a bit
of indulgence.

So, I'm sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention.

And if ANYONE wants to volunteer some coding time, let me know.

JS

On 1/25/07, pauric <radiorental at gmail.com> wrote:
> touché (o; I have the coding skills of a Peruvian mountain goat on
> acid. I do have a suggestion for said vaporous resource when you find
> them. Maybe make the mailing list filter subjectless/"no subject"
> posts and bounce them in to the big round folder in the corner.
>
> Seriously though. I'll go over and review any areas the IxDA needs
> help as I'm in a prolonged roadmap gap, although I'm not sure what I
> could possibly offer. Also, my post was more directed at the concept
> of 'the customer is always right', we dont work in a restaurant. (o;
>
> On 1/25/07, Joshua Seiden <joshseiden at gmail.com> wrote:
> > One resolves it by pointing out the lack of volunteers with coding skills
> > available to help us bridge this gap in any reasonable time frame.
> >
> > If you have some free time and some web application development skills,
> > perhaps you too can volunteer to help us bridge this gap.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > JS
> >
> >
> > On 1/25/07, pauric <radiorental at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Guidelines aside, just for arguments sake, how does one resolve
> > > "Packed with features that will enhance everyone's use of the discussion
> > > list of IxDA. For this new interface to be most effective, subject line
> > > integrity is really important."
> > >
> > > with
> > >
> > > "*It's not your fault*
> > > "you" being the user. It is the designer's fault. I totally agree with
> > this
> > > one. " Quoted from
> > http://synapticburn.com/engage.php?id=P194 (o;
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> Job type: In house
> Field: Embedded & physical interfaces. Web/cli
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

25 Jan 2007 - 10:19pm
.pauric
2006

my bad, as I re-read my response to your reply I can see how you
thought I might have thunk that I thought you were being harsh. For
which I'm sorry (o;

I hope IxDA 2.0 (beta) comes with an Omnigraffle plugin feature so all
us half dyslexic visual types can communicate more clearly. Speaking
of which, how many features will it have and did I miss the
Participatory design meeting?

p.eace

Syndicate content Get the feed