Master and Apprentice (was iPhone Keynote)

20 Jan 2007 - 10:24pm
7 years ago
1 reply
670 reads
Kevin Wong
2007

Take a minute and think about a mentor who changed everything for you
in the best way professionally. That one person alone for however
long that relationship lasted has helped you up when you fell and
told you all the why's to your what's and how's. Now imagine that
benefit except that relationship is extended over a couple years and
the mentor is currently considered the best in the industry. A leader.

For a profession such as an interaction designer, we are valued for
understanding people (empathy) and the impact technology has on them
as individuals, in groups, and in society. We are also creative
craftspeople who "get" design beyond just aesthetics. To me,
becoming high quality professionals is critical. With a small number
of designers available for all existing businesses, upcoming
designers could benefit from this experience and become more
accessible in major business developments. Educate. Influence.
Evangelize.

Maybe a hybrid of mentorship and apprenticeship is in order. Who
knows. From my personal experience, reading blogs of truly brilliant
designers and participating in this mailing list has done more for me
than sitting through a lot of my classes. I only learn as much as my
whole class wants.

Kevin

On Jan 20, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Robert Hoekman, Jr. wrote:
>> > What happened to the days of Master and Apprentice? =(
>>
>> It wasn't cost effective.
>
> Seriously? I think this would be a fantastic way to go for this
> industry, but I haven't done any research at all to suss out the
> feasibility. Do you have some insights?
>
> -r-
________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
(Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

Comments

21 Jan 2007 - 5:14pm
Esteban Barahona
2006

about classes: yes... having an "evaluation that decides everything" is
medieval. Education should be passed by being present in all the classes...

2007/1/20, Kevin Wong <kevinwong en kvwong.com>:
>
> Take a minute and think about a mentor who changed everything for you
> in the best way professionally. That one person alone for however
> long that relationship lasted has helped you up when you fell and
> told you all the why's to your what's and how's. Now imagine that
> benefit except that relationship is extended over a couple years and
> the mentor is currently considered the best in the industry. A leader.
>
> For a profession such as an interaction designer, we are valued for
> understanding people (empathy) and the impact technology has on them
> as individuals, in groups, and in society. We are also creative
> craftspeople who "get" design beyond just aesthetics. To me,
> becoming high quality professionals is critical. With a small number
> of designers available for all existing businesses, upcoming
> designers could benefit from this experience and become more
> accessible in major business developments. Educate. Influence.
> Evangelize.
>
> Maybe a hybrid of mentorship and apprenticeship is in order. Who
> knows. From my personal experience, reading blogs of truly brilliant
> designers and participating in this mailing list has done more for me
> than sitting through a lot of my classes. I only learn as much as my
> whole class wants.
>
> Kevin
>
> On Jan 20, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Robert Hoekman, Jr. wrote:
> >> > What happened to the days of Master and Apprentice? =(
> >>
> >> It wasn't cost effective.
> >
> > Seriously? I think this would be a fantastic way to go for this
> > industry, but I haven't done any research at all to suss out the
> > feasibility. Do you have some insights?
> >
> > -r-
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss en ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists en ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss en ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists en ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

--
http://www.zensui.org

Syndicate content Get the feed