Web Application vs Website : visual styling

12 Jan 2007 - 5:52pm
7 years ago
5 replies
856 reads
Valerie Gomez d...
2006

What makes a web application NOT look like a website?

Thanks!
Valerie

Comments

12 Jan 2007 - 5:57pm
Ari
2006

the lines are starting to blur.

however, via Flash or AJAX, it's possible to come quite close to the
fidelity of a desktop app.

On 1/12/07, Valerie Gomez de la Torre <valeriegomez at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What makes a web application NOT look like a website?
>
> Thanks!
> Valerie
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

--
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.flyingyogi.com

12 Jan 2007 - 6:04pm
Valerie Gomez d...
2006

true. so in that case, what would you say are the distinctive
characteristics of a desktop app?

On 1/12/07, Ari Feldman <ari1970 at gmail.com> wrote:
> the lines are starting to blur.
>
> however, via Flash or AJAX, it's possible to come quite close to the
> fidelity of a desktop app.
>
>
>
>
> On 1/12/07, Valerie Gomez de la Torre <valeriegomez at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What makes a web application NOT look like a website?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Valerie
> >
> ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> > List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> > (Un)Subscription Options ...
> http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> > Announcements List .........
> http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> > Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> > Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> > Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
> >
>
>
>
> --
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.flyingyogi.com

12 Jan 2007 - 6:40pm
Josh
2006

Valerie,

Your question could definitely lead to a lot of debate, but when considering
whether or not to call something a "web application" or a "web site" I might
consider:

1. The goal of the system. Applications are typically very task driven. Web
sites tend to be content driven. Remember the old saying "content is king"?
With web applications the task is the dictator.
2. Continuity and complexity of experience may be another differentiator. If
users of the system expect to have a continuous experience and complex
interaction requiring lots of forms, buttons, and session, I might consider
it more of an application than a site.

Really though, "Web 2.0" is definitely blurring the line, and I would argue
that the two terms aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. There's no reason
why an online presence couldn't be both a destination/content site and a
task driven application.

Lots of buttons that look like OS X or Windows and no page refreshes could
help a web application not look like a web site as well.

- Josh Viney

On 1/12/07, Valerie Gomez de la Torre <valeriegomez at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> true. so in that case, what would you say are the distinctive
> characteristics of a desktop app?
>
>
>
> On 1/12/07, Ari Feldman <ari1970 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > the lines are starting to blur.
> >
> > however, via Flash or AJAX, it's possible to come quite close to the
> > fidelity of a desktop app.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On 1/12/07, Valerie Gomez de la Torre <valeriegomez at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > What makes a web application NOT look like a website?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Valerie
> > >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > > List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> > > List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> > > (Un)Subscription Options ...
> > http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> > > Announcements List .........
> > http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> > > Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> > > Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> > > Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
> > http://www.flyingyogi.com
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

12 Jan 2007 - 7:00pm
Shep McKee
2005

On Jan 12, 2007, at 6:04 PM, Valerie Gomez de la Torre wrote:
> [...] what would you say are the distinctive characteristics of a
> desktop app? [SM: In reference to the differences between websites
> and web apps]

Luke Wroblewski (in case anyone's keeping track - I'll admit I'm a
big fan) has some good thoughts on the differences between the
various types of web applications:
http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?339

This PDF gets into much more detail. There is no clear distinction -
in fact, there no clear distinction - instead, there's a continuum
between a basic web site (ie: content presentation) and a complex web
application (ie: "transactionality").
http://www.lukew.com/resources/WebApplicationSolutions.pdf

And don't stop there - Luke's had a ton of interesting commentary in
2006 on web apps.

One of my favorite issues - is the user's expectation of how a web
site should behave - versus how a desktop app should behave - versus
(the unknown?) how a "web application" is supposed to behave. To most
users, a web page == web app, it's all the same to them. Here's an
example of one of the issues that arises...
http://www.jonathanboutelle.com/mt/archives/2004/06/user_mental_mod.html

Cheers - SHep McKee

13 Jan 2007 - 10:01am
.pauric
2006

At a highly conceptual level, because the lines can be so blurred;

Web site: Its the shop on the highstreet, it must attract people in, must be
welcoming. They are the Service and/or Content provider. The site works
for you.

Web app: Your place of work, functional, practical. You are the worker, the
provider. You work with the app.

Syndicate content Get the feed