Stuck with Visio?

12 Dec 2006 - 10:30am
7 years ago
6 replies
1096 reads
bhekking
2006

Hello all -

I've done a lot of detailed design work in Visio over the years, and am eager
to moive away from it. Furthermore, I want to buy software for home use that
enables me to open my Visio files and convert them without losing data.

I've tried exporting to other formats, but have not found one that seems to fit
the bill. I've also tried importing into SmartDraw, but that re-renders my
work as a single image.

Am I stuck with Visio? Is there a way to convert to another tool?

Thanks much,
Bret Hekking
Sr. UX Designer | Applix, Inc

____________________________________________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.
http://new.mail.yahoo.com

Comments

12 Dec 2006 - 10:39am
Adrian Howard
2005

On 12 Dec 2006, at 15:30, Bret Hekking wrote:
[snip]
> Am I stuck with Visio? Is there a way to convert to another tool?
[snip]

If you can also stand to switch platforms OmniGraffle Pro for OS X
does Visio import/export.

Adrian

12 Dec 2006 - 10:55am
Todd Warfel
2003

We use a combination of InDesign and Illustrator for doing all of our
IA/IxD diagrams. We've used pretty much everything in the past (e.g.
Visio, OmniGraffle, Illustrator, Freehand). The ID/ILL combo works
pretty well for us. There's also Fireworks, which we don't use much,
but I've seen some pretty decent workflows using it.

On Dec 12, 2006, at 10:30 AM, Bret Hekking wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> I've done a lot of detailed design work in Visio over the years,
> and am eager
> to moive away from it. Furthermore, I want to buy software for home
> use that
> enables me to open my Visio files and convert them without losing
> data.
>
> I've tried exporting to other formats, but have not found one that
> seems to fit
> the bill. I've also tried importing into SmartDraw, but that re-
> renders my
> work as a single image.
>
> Am I stuck with Visio? Is there a way to convert to another tool?
>
> Thanks much,
> Bret Hekking
> Sr. UX Designer | Applix, Inc

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
Partner, Design & Usability Specialist
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
----------------------------------
Contact Info
Voice: (215) 825-7423
Email: todd at messagefirst.com
AIM: twarfel at mac.com
Blog: http://toddwarfel.com
----------------------------------
In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they are not.

12 Dec 2006 - 11:00am
.pauric
2006

Note omnigraffle pro can only open Visio 2002 .vdx files. Not the
proprietary default .vsd format.

Heres a discussion on Boxes & arrows titled 'visio replacements'
http://www.boxesandarrows.com/view/visio_replaceme

I havent had much success exporting from visio to xml and picking that up
with other apps. Things break down when you want to reuse/modify stencil
elements. My library is stuck in vsd and I redraw stuff in omni when I need
to. Sometimes its just better to start over, freedom to roll new ideas in,
instead of being consistent with the legacy design mindset.

That all said I highly recommend Omni over Visio for a low cost alternative.

regards - pauric

On 12/12/06, Adrian Howard <adrianh at quietstars.com> wrote:
>
>
> On 12 Dec 2006, at 15:30, Bret Hekking wrote:
> [snip]
> > Am I stuck with Visio? Is there a way to convert to another tool?
> [snip]
>
> If you can also stand to switch platforms OmniGraffle Pro for OS X
> does Visio import/export.
>
> Adrian
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

--
Jnr. designabilityhitect & interinfofaceactioneer.
The more I learn, the less I seem to know.

12 Dec 2006 - 11:00am
Fredrik Matheson
2005

ConceptDraw works pretty well, too. Personally I prefer a mix of
OmniGraffle and Illustrator.

- Fredrik

| || ||| | |||| | || ||| || |||| || || |||| || | || |||| |
|| | ||

Fredrik Matheson
Interaction designer

fredrik.matheson at gmail.com

On 12. des. 2006, at 16.30, Bret Hekking wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> I've done a lot of detailed design work in Visio over the years,
> and am eager
> to moive away from it. Furthermore, I want to buy software for home
> use that
> enables me to open my Visio files and convert them without losing
> data.
>
> I've tried exporting to other formats, but have not found one that
> seems to fit
> the bill. I've also tried importing into SmartDraw, but that re-
> renders my
> work as a single image.
>
> Am I stuck with Visio? Is there a way to convert to another tool?
>
> Thanks much,
> Bret Hekking
> Sr. UX Designer | Applix, Inc
>
>
>
> ______________________________________________________________________
> ______________
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.
> http://new.mail.yahoo.com
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

12 Dec 2006 - 11:03am
Josh
2006

I recently switched from Windows to a Mac (6 months now) and have been very
very happy with Omnigraffle Pro. It's a bit more intuitive than Visio and
makes laying out pages/screens a bit easier.

- Josh

On 12/12/06, Adrian Howard <adrianh at quietstars.com> wrote:
>
>
> On 12 Dec 2006, at 15:30, Bret Hekking wrote:
> [snip]
> > Am I stuck with Visio? Is there a way to convert to another tool?
> [snip]
>
> If you can also stand to switch platforms OmniGraffle Pro for OS X
> does Visio import/export.
>
> Adrian
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

12 Dec 2006 - 1:58pm
Rajesh Sidharthan
2005

You can copy vector data from visio into your clipboard and paste it
into a new Illustrator document.
Ungroup (Shift+Ctrl+G) the data in Illustrator and start editing as if
they were created in Illustrator.
When done, save the new document as an illustrator file.
This may not be as easy as importing into another format, but this works
for sure.

The problem is that, now you will be stuck with Illustrator.
Not sure why you want to switch to another tool in the first place.
Is it because you want to just run away from Visio? (I would not be
surprised:)

~Raj

Bret Hekking wrote:
> Hello all -
>
> I've done a lot of detailed design work in Visio over the years, and am eager
> to moive away from it. Furthermore, I want to buy software for home use that
> enables me to open my Visio files and convert them without losing data.
>
> I've tried exporting to other formats, but have not found one that seems to fit
> the bill. I've also tried importing into SmartDraw, but that re-renders my
> work as a single image.
>
> Am I stuck with Visio? Is there a way to convert to another tool?
>
> Thanks much,
> Bret Hekking
> Sr. UX Designer | Applix, Inc
>
>
>
> ____________________________________________________________________________________
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.
> http://new.mail.yahoo.com
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>
>

Syndicate content Get the feed