Seeking Senior Art Director for Microsoft Redmond, Washington Customer Design Center
5 Oct 2006 - 10:47pm
: seeking Senior Art Director for a Regular, Full-Time Opportunity for Microsoft Customer Design Center in Redmond, Washington :
The Microsoft Customer Design Center is searching for a Senior Art
The Art Director for the Customer Design Center (CDC) will be
responsible for leading a talented team of visual designers to
successfully deliver compelling art direction, comprehensive visual
identity, and overall design thought-leadership in an area of strategic
importance to Microsoft, the Windows Live suite of online services. You
and your team will be the primary interface between (1) CDC design,
usability, and editorial leads executing on Windows Live product design,
(2) Windows Live product teams, and (3) Microsoft marketing and branding
teams (and their external agencies). This requires the ability to
effectively balance long-term strategic issues around branding and
visual identity with day-to-day tactical "get it done" project issues;
pro-actively communicate and lead internally within Microsoft, in
creative, business and technical discussions; and think globally as the
CDC team expands into locations like Shanghai, Tokyo, and London.
* Deliver a compelling visual design and identity system that is
on-brand, on-strategy, and highly performant (i.e. fast). Deliver
* Lead and collaborate across multiple disciplines: design,
usability, editorial, marketing/brand, business/advertising, PM, and
* Establish creative frameworks based on user data and market
segmentation research in order to establish clear targets for our
product's look and feel.
* Define priorities and manage resources as appropriate across
* Lead innovation workshops and group brainstorms to generate
* Demonstrate excellent interpersonal, leadership and coaching
skills that can inspire, lead, challenge and motivate a creative team.
* Create compelling visual presentations and communicate to all
levels of management.
* Understand and evangelize user centered design and product
* 6 years minimum work experience as a Lead Designer or 3+ years
in an Art Director role at a leading online company.
* Strong proficiency in Adobe CS, Acrobat, HTML/DHTML, CSS/CSSX,
Dreamweaver, Ajax. Knowledge of capabilities of different platforms and
browsers, and their design constraints on the Web. The application of
tools and technologies across web, client and devices (mobile phone,
* The capabilities to direct and enhance the efforts of a creative
team consisting of designers, writers, usability engineers,
marketing/brand managers, and software developers.
* Keen eye for detail and a passion for "pixel-perfect" fit and
* A well-rounded understanding of art direction, online story
telling, brand strategy, and experience design.
* Experience with applied conceptual strategy, brainstorm
facilitation, day-to-day shepherding of a project to completion and team
* Advertising and/or other online revenue experience is strongly
* Print experience a plus.
* Must have outstanding body of works demonstrating the delivery
of successful and innovative application interface solutions.
* Must be organized and able to switch rapidly between different
projects in a fast-paced and exciting environment.
* Experience shipping products for large consumer audiences and be
used to working on many products simultaneously.
* Deep understanding for Microsoft design language and the ability
to translate it into future design of Windows Live.
* Exceptional understanding of fundamental design principles
(typography, layout, grid systems, hierarchy, color, composition,
* Ability to produce storyboards, scenarios, design prototypes.
* Applicants should be detail-oriented, self-motivated, highly
organized, and able to work in a team environment under tight deadlines.
If you know of any individuals who might be interested in the Senior Art
Director opportunity, please contact Michelle DeChene via email at a-micdec at microsoft.com.