Looking for Usabilty Best Practices for Windows based Application

29 Jul 2006 - 12:58am
8 years ago
4 replies
954 reads
Ashish Tibrewal
2005

Hello,

In coming weeks, I would need to work over a Windows based application
(Thick Client application) identifying the Usabiluty issues and suggesting
the changes as per the best practices. This is a financial application which
lots of forms for user inputs, grid displays, reports etc.

One thing that I had noticed while comparing this appln with a web based
appln was that the action buttons like submit, reset were fixed at the top
of the form rather than having it below where the form ends.

I had been to the usability guidelines published on MSDN, but I feel that
those guidelines are more related to the microsof products and not very
general. I would like to know some pointers where I can find the usability
best practices for a Windows based application (Thick Client application).

Thanks
Ashish

Comments

30 Jul 2006 - 5:19pm
Scott Bower
2006

Microsoft has a global intranet with all the "usability" guides,
branding manuals,
and standards if you are an approved 3d party agency. I managed the
redo of the
style guides for 3rd party Windows Mobile application development a
year ago
and I believe all these migrated towards that intranet. I think thin
client and thick
client resources are there. As an FYI, it is exceptionally hard to use
the search
tools that are part of that web based software archive. It is by no
means an authoritative
central archive and documentation tends towards superficiality and
inflexibility.

Microsoft has sparse internal documentation on usability best practices
last I checked.
Documentation by other companies is also hard to find because of
proprietary issues,
hence, the Embedded market is increasingly open source. Since you are
designing for
the OS, you might want to try searching with that specific criteria.

When researching MSDN and other MS properties to find out why OS
download drop
out rates were so high I found that they had done things with the code
that made some
of their public online documentation invisible to google.... it was not
intentional. The
backend of all their online properties is a complicated patchwork. You
have to use
MS search tools for public info.

I would suggest poking around on Channel 9 if nobody points you to
information
on the IxD list.
http://channel9.msdn.com/

scott
On Jul 29, 2006, at 12:58 AM, Ashish Tibrewal wrote:

> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted
> material.]
>
> Hello,
>
> In coming weeks, I would need to work over a Windows based application
> (Thick Client application) identifying the Usabiluty issues and
> suggesting
> the changes as per the best practices. This is a financial application
> which
> lots of forms for user inputs, grid displays, reports etc.
>
> One thing that I had noticed while comparing this appln with a web
> based
> appln was that the action buttons like submit, reset were fixed at the
> top
> of the form rather than having it below where the form ends.
>
> I had been to the usability guidelines published on MSDN, but I feel
> that
> those guidelines are more related to the microsof products and not very
> general. I would like to know some pointers where I can find the
> usability
> best practices for a Windows based application (Thick Client
> application).
>
>
> Thanks
> Ashish
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

31 Jul 2006 - 10:01am
Michael Micheletti
2006

Hi Ashish,

I recommend Jenifer Tidwell's book, "Designing Interfaces". It is
well-organized and illustrated, and offers a large menu of actionable
suggestions to chose from. The book is oriented towards rich applications.
My copy is starting to get a little dogeared from leafing through it all the
time.

Michael Micheletti

On 7/28/06, Ashish Tibrewal <astibrewal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted
> material.]
>
> I would like to know some pointers where I can find the usability
> best practices for a Windows based application (Thick Client application).
>
> Thanks
> Ashish
>

31 Jul 2006 - 10:15pm
Jenifer Tidwell
2003

And the author is even on this mailing list. :-)

Thanks, Michael -- your comments are very kind! Ashish, the book does
cover best practices for rich UIs in general, and it doesn't limit
itself to one platform or style guide, so it may in fact help you. If
you'd like to see examples of what the book contains, go to
http://designinginterfaces.com and read through some of the patterns.

- Jenifer

On 7/31/06, Michael Micheletti <michael.micheletti at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ashish,
>
> I recommend Jenifer Tidwell's book, "Designing Interfaces". It is
> well-organized and illustrated, and offers a large menu of actionable
> suggestions to chose from. The book is oriented towards rich applications.
> My copy is starting to get a little dogeared from leafing through it all the
> time.
>
> Michael Micheletti

---------------------------------------
Jenifer Tidwell
jenifer.tidwell at gmail.com
http://designinginterfaces.com
http://jtidwell.net

1 Aug 2006 - 10:23am
Ashish Tibrewal
2005

Hi Jenifer,

I had a look at the website that you had mentioned, but it looks a great
resource.

Thanks
Ashish

On 8/1/06, Jenifer Tidwell <jenifer.tidwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And the author is even on this mailing list. :-)
>
> Thanks, Michael -- your comments are very kind! Ashish, the book does
> cover best practices for rich UIs in general, and it doesn't limit
> itself to one platform or style guide, so it may in fact help you. If
> you'd like to see examples of what the book contains, go to
> http://designinginterfaces.com and read through some of the patterns.
>
> - Jenifer
>
> On 7/31/06, Michael Micheletti <michael.micheletti at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ashish,
> >
> > I recommend Jenifer Tidwell's book, "Designing Interfaces". It is
> > well-organized and illustrated, and offers a large menu of actionable
> > suggestions to chose from. The book is oriented towards rich
> applications.
> > My copy is starting to get a little dogeared from leafing through it all
> the
> > time.
> >
> > Michael Micheletti
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Jenifer Tidwell
> jenifer.tidwell at gmail.com
> http://designinginterfaces.com
> http://jtidwell.net
>

Syndicate content Get the feed