icons

16 Mar 2004 - 4:11pm
9 years ago
5 replies
1022 reads
vutpakdi
2003

Xtian,

> I read that your working in hoose designer for icons? What did you
> reference
> to learn how to produce all the files that are necessary? Icon Factory
> has a
> fantastic plug-in to generate the files and I have used it. I was looking
> for a case study in the production that may include comments about
> testing
> the icons. Are you producing for both Mac and PC and working on which
> (Mac
> or PC)?

Yes, I do some sideline, in house (only) icon design work for another
of our product groups and the occasional icon work for my own product
group. While I do well enough that the product group is delighted with my
work (easy when the competition are our developers), professionals like the
ones that created the Icon Buffet set
(http://www.iconbuffet.com/stock_icons/index.html) are in a completely
different league. I'd love to be able to second icon work out to a real
icon designer.

I don't know where I initially learned the color depths and sizes
required for the icons. The most recent Windows reference that I do have
is "Creating Window XP Icons"
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.asp).
My Java L&F reference is from the Java Look and Feel Design
Guidelines(http://java.sun.com/products/jlf/ed2/book/HIG.Graphics3.html).

I generally use a combination of Axialis IconWorkshop
(www.axialis.com) and Canvas, my favorite Swiss Army knife graphics program
(www.deneba.com) to create the icons.

I work on Windows and the Mac, creating for Windows and Java (Windows
and Linux).

Ron

=====
============================================================================
Ron Vutpakdi
vutpakdi at acm.org

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam
http://mail.yahoo.com

Comments

16 Mar 2004 - 5:09pm
Christian Simon
2003

> on 3/16/04 13:11, Ron Vutpakdi at vutpakdi at yahoo.com wrote:
> I work on Windows and the Mac, creating for Windows and Java (Windows
> and Linux).
I've created icons on my Mac in-house and for fun. I use Photoshop on a Mac
with http://www.iconfactory.com/iconbuilder.asp. I had a desktop setup with
a Mac and Win switched into a monitor. Now I have to rely on someone else's
PC to test the files. This is ok just not ideal.

>From my work at in-house, I worked with engineers to supply files. I was
asked for art files. The whole bit depth must have been handled by them.
Strange to imagine engineers trying to fix art that doesn¹t look good in
different resolutions. :P

Not to take from sw engineers, I'm sure they would rather rework artwork
instead of doing BOOOR-ing code shite <haha>.
x

16 Mar 2004 - 3:25pm
Christian Simon
2003

Ron-
> For example,
> 8 icons
> 16x16 and 24x24, 8, 24, and 32 bit color
> Used in toolbars for a Windows application

I read that your working in hoose designer for icons? What did you reference
to learn how to produce all the files that are necessary? Icon Factory has a
fantastic plug-in to generate the files and I have used it. I was looking
for a case study in the production that may include comments about testing
the icons. Are you producing for both Mac and PC and working on which (Mac
or PC)?

-Xtian

17 Mar 2004 - 7:48pm
Jerry John
2004

Ok - I don't know how relevant this might be - but try and establish the
association of the graphic to the task; establish a treatment; iconic;
symbolic or indexical .

The users need to understand and assimilate the meaning of the icon with and
without textual help .

LOOK and Feel is something that will have a exo level effect on the final
design of the icons : )

Hope I haven't lost u

-----Original Message-----
From:
discuss-interactiondesigners.com-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com
[mailto:discuss-interactiondesigners.com-bounces at lists.interactiondesign
ers.com]On Behalf Of Christian Simon
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 12:26 PM
To: vutpakdi at yahoo.com; discuss at interactiondesigners.com
Subject: [ID Discuss] icons

Ron-
> For example,
> 8 icons
> 16x16 and 24x24, 8, 24, and 32 bit color
> Used in toolbars for a Windows application

I read that your working in hoose designer for icons? What did you reference
to learn how to produce all the files that are necessary? Icon Factory has a
fantastic plug-in to generate the files and I have used it. I was looking
for a case study in the production that may include comments about testing
the icons. Are you producing for both Mac and PC and working on which (Mac
or PC)?

-Xtian

_______________________________________________
Interaction Design Discussion List
discuss at interactiondesigners.com
--
to change your options (unsubscribe or set digest):
http://discuss.interactiondesigners.com
--
Questions: lists at interactiondesigners.com
--
Announcement Online List (discussion list members get announcements already)
http://interactiondesigners.com/announceList/
--
http://interactiondesigners.com/

10 Aug 2005 - 3:15am
milan
2005

Hi!

For a SAP Enterprise Portal with a custom skin, I am looking for a
collection of simple icons (11x11px) for the main menu. It should include
something applicable for things like web sites, sap systems, local drives
etc.

Does anybody know a ready-to-use collection for that purpose?

Thanks in advance,
milan

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web - Check your email from the web at
http://mail2web.com/ .

10 Aug 2005 - 2:19pm
FelcanSmith, Mark
2004

http://www.stockicons.com/browse.asp

May have something...

> -----Original Message-----
> From:
> discuss-interactiondesigners.com-bounces at lists.interactiondesi
> gners.com
> [mailto:discuss-interactiondesigners.com-bounces at lists.interac
> tiondesign
> ers.com]On Behalf Of milan at guenther.cx
> Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 3:15 AM
> To: discuss-interactiondesigners.com at lists.interactiondesigners.com
> Subject: [ID Discuss] Icons
>
>
> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant
> quoted material.]
>
> Hi!
>
> For a SAP Enterprise Portal with a custom skin, I am looking for a
> collection of simple icons (11x11px) for the main menu. It
> should include
> something applicable for things like web sites, sap systems,
> local drives
> etc.
>
> Does anybody know a ready-to-use collection for that purpose?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> milan
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> mail2web - Check your email from the web at
> http://mail2web.com/ .
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Group!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixdg.org
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://discuss.ixdg.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixdg.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixdg.org
> Home ....................... http://ixdg.org/
>

Syndicate content Get the feed