Sr. Information Architect (User Experience) – Mobile
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Sr. Information Architect (User Experience) - Mobile is responsible for determining how our mobile web and application-based user interfaces should work. Within a nimble product team He/She will create the concepts, flows, and prototypes alongside the User Interface Designer and Writers. He/She will partner with the software architects and engineers to propose elegant solutions that enrich our Customers’ mobile shopping experiences. Ideally, He/She will have a deep understanding of one or more of the following: iPhone application development, Android application development, and mobile web interfaces.
He/She is responsible for consulting with clients and the Product Manager about their business goals, and for proposing web, and application-based solutions that meet both users' and business’ needs. Organizes content and functionality by creating site blueprints/wireframes, creates identifiable nomenclature for users, creates navigation systems that support users' needs, analyzes, develops and refines user tasks/processes, and collaborates with the design and development teams to build user interfaces.
He/She designs organization, navigation, and search, systems. He/She draws upon user personas and scenarios, wireframes, sitemaps, and prototypes to communicate solutions to designers, developers, and senior managers.
He/She may guide and teach Information Architects and peers; participate in critiques, give effective feedback. He/She is expected to collaborate with User Research and employ research methods including content and task analysis, usability testing, and stakeholder interviews to identify problems and opportunities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Concept (25%)
· Proposed and lead project definition activities when project scope requires.
· Work with other project team members to define methods to be used, including competitive audits and secondary research.
· Work with Creative Management and Business to suggest research areas outside of projects.
2. Design (30%)
· Create process flows, site maps, wireframes, and prototypes that will advance the company's merchandising, business, marketing, or branding objectives.
· Present chosen design to project and business teams for review.
· Develop richly interactive prototypes that demonstrate the team’s vision to the business and customers
· Support the rapid iteration and evaluation of product usefulness via usability testing
· Work with engineering leads to determine efficacy of given solution.
3. Specification (30%)
· Produce highly accurate documentation and other specifications required to implement design.
· Leverage Agile development methodologies to support the team during sprints and releases.
· Work with Product manager and team to define documentation scope.
· Review project requirement deliverables to ensure correct translation and understanding of the design.
4. Creative QA (10%)
· Provide QA feedback to and consultation with HTML, Engineering, and PM teams prior to launch.
· Ensure that pages and applications match product spec.
· Aware of competitor best practices.
5. Management (5%)
· May guide and teach Information Architects; learn to manage.
· Participate in formal and informal design critiques, give effective feedback to peers.
1) Competencies: Skills, knowledge, & abilities
· Conduct and participate in concept generation activities including the development of: user profiles, user scenarios, organizational models, task models and feature lists
· Conduct and participate in project definition activities including: business requirement gathering, site assessment, competitive analysis, secondary research, etc.
· Create process flows, site maps, wireframes, screen prototypes and functional specifications
· Possess strong business and technical acumen; be able to quickly learn new businesses and understand technologies
· Take leadership role in directing the user experience while working very collaboratively with all members of the project team
· Make solid recommendations on the priorities of product and feature development
· Understand the importance of flexibility and the balance of speed and quality
· Very good project management skills: able to work on multiple projects, reprioritize as needed, and consistently deliver on time.
· Anticipate potential project problems and create solutions or contingency plans.
· Flexible, highly organized, and able to recommend priorities for projects.
· Demonstrate willingness to teach and contribute to the team.
· Understand the value of other Creative and cross-functional disciplines and how they work with IA.
· Take a proactive approach to creative and cross-functional communication.
· Actively seek out feedback from manager and peers; improve own performance based on that feedback.
· Develop an understanding of how to give effective feedback.
· Can resolve conflicts constructively with some input from manager.
· Demonstrate a high level of integrity and maturity. Constructive approach to challenges.
· Understand Wal-Mart's three core values: Respect for the Individual, Service to our Customers, and Strive for Excellence.
· Able to persuade/influence team members, sell ideas effectively, get results, and follow through.
· Ownership of mid-sized projects with new or complex functionality, with input and feedback from manager.
· Present ideas effectively, and is a strong communicator in a variety of presentation situations.
· Demonstrate initiative and resourcefulness.
· 3+ years web-based information architecture or interaction design experience including the design of mobile web presence of one or more sites. Moderate to advanced mobile application design experience highly desired.
· Experience in client services and negotiating business decisions
· Experience in user research observation and translating user research into design decisions
· Internet usability/user interface best practices
· Information process flow definition and improvement background
· Exceptional information presentation (graphic and written) experience
· Web design experience including: HTML, the capabilities of Web browsers across multiple platforms, and new technologies a plus
· Proficiency with Visio required. Experience with the following is helpful: Word, Illustrator, Photoshop, PowerPoint and various HTML editors
· Experience with Axure as a prototyping tool is helpful
3) Minimum educational level:
· Bachelor’s degree in Human Computer Interaction, Information Science and/or design disciplines (industrial, graphic, instructional, architecture) , other relevant field, or equivalent work experience