Discussion Archive

18 Oct 2012 - 11:54am
2 years ago
4 replies
tamlyn

Clickable paragraphs: thoughts/research?

Take a look at this page http://traffickingculture.org/news/

If you hover over the news stories, you'll see that the whole extract of each story (title, image and description) is clickable and links through to the full story. This is nice as it give a large click target, but it also leads to unexpected behavior in that the paragraph text is a link even though it doesn't look like one.

Markup like this is relatively new since, before HTML5, block level elements like paragraphs were not allowed inside link tags.

22 Feb 2011 - 4:34pm
4 years ago
14 replies
Terms:
Alexis

Is a confirmation page a step in a process?

Regarding linear processes or wizards that include a clearly communicated number of steps such as Step 1 of 3, Step 2 of 3, etc.. My client is a large and well-known financial company. I am coming on to a project where we are designing standards for design patterns for a system. I came across a pattern where someone designed a linear flow (for making a payment for example) when Step 3 is actually the confirmation screen saying "Thanks, payment has been made" There is nothing left for the user to do but close the dialog.

13 Sep 2011 - 9:14am
Terms:
William Hudson

CHI 2012 Facebook Event

Publicity isn’t really my role for the CHI 2012 conference in Austin next May, but we’ve set up a Facebook event for the first time and I thought IxDAers might like to know about it. You can see who’s said they’re coming, invite your friends, and as soon as a minor technical hitch is sorted out, you’ll be able to see a geographical breakdown of attendees on the CHI 2012 web site.

2 Nov 2012 - 9:29am
2 years ago
2 replies
davidramos

Is a site accessible if it requires JavaScript?

The Target.com website blocks users who don't have JavaScript enabled. If you turn JavaScript off and visit the Target site, you'll see a modal dialog warning you that "Target.com requires javascript to be enabled." If JavaScript is off, you can't dismiss the dialog box.

It would never have occurred to me to design a site that way, and I've never considered the accessibility implications of such a sweeping move. Is this kind of a website accessible?

18 Mar 2008 - 11:02am
7 years ago
7 replies
Lukeisha Carr

what helped most in your career? : Dealing with criticism

Hi Everyone,

I've been following the original thread about "what helped most in your career?". Many of the posts are very very inspiring.

I have on spin-off question. How do you deal with the criticism? I'm not talking about polite constructive criticism. That I have no problem accepting & applying. But what about the down right harsh hurtful comments, by peers, managers, &/or end users, when you know you did/are doing the best you can at that time? We all know that some jobs/careers are just not right for some people.

31 Aug 2004 - 12:38pm
Terms:
Peter Merholz

[PLUG] Adaptive Path UX Workshop, Toronto September 28-29

Hello all--

I'm writing to invite you to Adaptive Path's two-day workshop on
designing
the complete user experience being held in Toronto from September 28-29,

Using numerous examples from Fortune 500 companies, start-ups, and
not-for-profits, Jeffrey Veen and Lane Becker will teach you how to
incorporate user goals, business needs, and organizational awareness
into
your design process.

This is our flagship presentation, a detailed walk through an entire
user experience process, where you learn how to...

- Develop a detailed understanding of your users through task analysis,
ment

Techmatchmaker

"The Inmates are Still Running the Asylum" - UX Networking Event March 10th @ Jobspring Silicon Valley

Come join Jobspring Partners Silicon Valley, and their guest speaker, UX guru Colin Johnson, for the first ever Jobspring Partners Silicon Valley networking event!

www.jspsvinauguralevent.eventbrite.com

30 Dec 2008 - 11:39am
Boston IxDA

save the date; Cross Group Holiday Party - January 14th

Heyup folks, Winter getting to you yet?

The cross-group social is on the 14th at Boston Beer Works. near
Fenway/Kenmore. Map: http://tinyurl.com/8l9ohh
For those that didnt make it last year, the inaugural event was a bit of a
success.

20 Oct 2004 - 2:07pm
Nancy Falkenburg

Senior Visual Designer (Req#: 52954)*Mountain View, CA*Intuit*Ful ltime

Reply to: nancy_falkenburg at intuit.com

Position: Senior Visual Designer (Req#: 52954)

Intuit is looking for a talented, motivated Senior Visual Designer to drive
the overall visual strategy for all Quicken Personal Finance products. These
include desktop products, services, web applications as well as new product
offerings.

31 Jul 2007 - 9:39am
Maria Moratis